Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying pets back to the UK

14 posts in this topic

I'm planning ahead for when the day comes for us to head back to Blighty.

We have 2 cats that will have to come back with us... :wub:

Have sussed out the Vets' side of things...what a palaver with the Rabies shots/blood tests etc..!! :o

Just wondered about the actual shipping over. Anyone any experience good or bad of certain carriers or bureaucratic nightmares I could avoid??

I have twice flown my 3 pets from UK to Cyprus, and now just my my dog to Germany. It does not really matter who you use or whether you do it yourself I have always cried or got stressed out at the thought of my "babies" being in cargo on their own. My 2 cats were allowed to travel in the same box from UK to Cyprus but I do not know if they still allow that now to other destinations. The Berlin embassy has a good link and provides a list of routes and authorised handlers:

http://www.britischebotschaft.de/en/embass...ulture/pets.htm

If you do decide to take them to the airport yourself allow plenty of time as the air weigh bills are usually typed by a one fingered wonder. :wacko: With Lufthansa we had to pay about 40€ extra for handling and tax when we collected my boy from Frankfurt that we did not know about so take some extra cash. If you are not collecting at the other end then most Pet Air Freight companies will collect and take to an address or kennal of your choice, these are usually based at the airport. Most airports however refuse to recommend a freight company and so you have to go with your gut instinct, but its worth calling a few. I have avoided late night flights as things can be held up due to staff going home and even though you have your pet passport some cargo centres staff are not that clued up and forget where you are flying to and can demand that you see a vet, but one is not on duty and say "come back and collect in the morning", even though you dont need to if you have your paperwork. I just screamed at the poor bloke, burst into tears and continually stuffed the paperwork in his face until he realised I meant business and refused to leave without said dog. He then agreed with me apologised said he had my Husky confused with a Great Daine from UAE and that we could go around to the collection point and get him :D . Try and choose a morning flight if available.

Thanks Tue!!

We don't know yet when or even if we'll be off, but I was at the vet today for their boosters etc.. so I thought I'd get them as set up as I can so there's no panic when the time comes. Forewarned is fore armed and all that..We are hoping to return to Scotland in the next year..I hope!!!

We'll be flying them from Hannover to Aberdeen via Heathrow, so I think only BMI do it from Hannover. Otherwise it's Hamburg via London or Amsterdam.God knows how they'll cope :huh: one of my cats cries all the time in the car!! never mind a plane..I'll need sedating!!! ;)

Our old dog (since passed away) was a regular frequent flier, 30 old flights to Sweden Canada UK etc , always took on board with us. Never a problem beyond having to pay a bit extra.

Although I did totally freak out the chief Steward on the Canada flight, I guess he never had a pet on board before. Coming back was a German crew and they thought it was sooo cute. OH yes, flying back one time they made me purchase a cage for her, With our new dog, we plan on putting her underneath. She's been crate trained from a puppy.

Did find out the hard way the importing pets to Sweden requires a pet passport, I got turn back at Gothenburg airport, so had to fly back via Denmark, hoped off the plane in Denmark, rented a car and drove back across the border. Piece of cake. I could have actually caught the train back but I was worried about border guards.

Going to UK is a bit more complicated, basically the dog requires a blood test and a six month wait after that and yearly vaccinations. As well as some German paper work (it must be German or they won't accept it) Plus a microchip.

The hard bit is getting the de-worming and tick paper work at the right time, it must be done between 48 and 24 hours before departure, mostly a point of going to the vet and getting her to sign some paper work.

Went via the overnight ferry and the chunnel, both times was quite straight forward.

But to answer your question,if its a short haul flight shouldn't be a problem bring them on board, long haul best to put them underneath

Rob

"The hard bit is getting the de-worming and tick paper work at the right time, it must be done between 48 and 24 hours before departure, mostly a point of going to the vet and getting her to sign some paper work. "

Just a point to note - this has to be done by the Stadt vet (or state vet?) not by your own local vet.

hth

Just a point to note - this has to be done by the Stadt vet (or state vet?) not by your own local vet
Not according to the DEFRA website Mairinger which says...

Any vet qualified to practice in a listed country can carry out and record the treatment or issue an official certificate. You must not administer the treatment yourself. The vet will charge you for this service. The treatment must be carried out every time your pet enters the UK.

What a palaver! :blink:

Why isn't the quote thingy working??? or is it me??!! :$

you forgot to close one quote and you had them the wrong way round on the other Sandra ! Neil ;)

I shipped my ex boyfriends 2 cats to the UK last year through Petair

http://www.petair.de/

As far as I remember animals can only be imported to the UK via Heathrow and only from Frankfurt.

You need to get the blood tests done 6 months before and rabies jabs etc. I had to get the de-worming and tick paperwork done 24 hours before. You also need a health certificate from a state registered vet (what I mean here is Amtsträger not a normal vet).

As far as I remember you cannot take cats on as hand luggage when flying to the UK the usual regulations don't apply.

PM me if you have any other questions I'll be happy to help.

Amanda

1. I can't get a quote button either!

2. I was told by my vet here that the papers had to be prepared by the State vet, and she couldn't do it herself.

Sadly, my lovely lurcher Sammy was killed last month, so for me, the question is academic anyway.

You need to get the blood tests done 6 months before and rabies jabs etc. I had to get the de-worming and tick paperwork done 24 hours before. You also need a health certificate from a state registered vet (what I mean here is Amtsträger not a normal vet).

Muffin has it right:

1) Get pet Microchipped

2) Blood test - via a "registered" Lab - shows certain amount of Rabies antibodies

Once this comes back - wait 6 months

3) Then go the State vet (Vetinaramt) in your city or for your area

- they give you a certificate stating your dog looks ok. Ideal if you have a tatoo on your pet as well as the Microchip. Vet gave us a problem stating he could not be sure this was the pet stated in documents (shesh!)

This document only lasts as long as the NEXT rabbies shot, so must be renewed every year after the shot.

**Make sure you do not allow your rabies shot to lapse! Must be done every 364 days (1 day before the year ends). Or you have to start the blood work all over again!**

4) More than 24 hours and less the 48 hours before your trip, you must get a Deworming doc filled by your "local" vet.

Now you are ready to go on your trip!

We've taken our dog now to England twice, works great once you know what is required.

Hope this helps!

- Chris (formerly robandchris)

As far as I remember animals can only be imported to the UK via Heathrow and only from Frankfurt.
not true any more, there are only certain companies that can take pets, included now are various ferry companies too. I think P&O is one of them

Blood test - via a "registered" Lab - shows certain amount of Rabies antibodies

there is only about 5 labs in germany that are authorised to do the test, but your local vet can take the blood and will send it in to the labs. This blood test is to see if the anti-rabies injections are ok and anti-bodies are in the blood system of the animal. So the firt point is for the animal to have its anti-rabies jabs.

you must also have the EU passport for your animal, the blue book.

http://www.britischebotschaft.de/en/embass...s_factsheet.htm

bbulldog is right...

Have never flown with our dog as of yet.

1) Once via Chunnel

2) Via PMO Ferries

Both worked fine!

Best regards, Chris