O2 internet unexpected router replacement

16 posts in this topic

I rent my apartments in Nuernberg with internet. I have 3 accounts for each apartment that I setup with Alice 10 years ago. My bank bookings however are for Telefonica/O2. I'm vaguely aware that O2 bought out Alice?

Anyway O2 have unsolicited sent new routers to 2 of my apartments. Maybe the 3rd also except it's currently empty being renovated. One of my tenants called me today in a minor panic. The interent no longer works. She tried connecting the new router but it doesn't work. It probably has to be programmed with the account/password. O2 Kundendienst is currently not answering the phone.

Has anybody been in such a situation? Got a new router/modem from O2 and had to set it up?

What are the steps?

All the account related passwords and usernames should be in your customer service area on o2 website under "meine o2 Briefe". However you should have also recieved them per e-Mail. The username for the service area on the website is usually the fixed line number (with area number). It should be the one you got first (out of 3 contracts), with password I can't help you with. 

I recently moved my connection to another apartment and the info I recieved from o2 was to simply plug the router in and it should configure itself, which is exactly what it did. In case it didn't I recieved "Zugangsdaten" which should have helped me. Had no need to enter them though. Are you sure your tenants connected everything right?

I am with o2 and was never with Alice, I don't know how the buyout/change affects you but this is how I recieve all communication and account related info from o2. 

O2 telephone kundenservice is awful and you will spend hours before you reach them (if you reach them at all). I can however suggest twitter or facebook for support. The guys there usually reply within reasonable time and know their stuff!

Sorry I can only give you one greeny.

I went to the service area, have my old login details. Was forced to change my password.

There were two letters explaining the switchover, telling me roughly what you said above and listing all pins and login information should it be needed.

I suspect she hasn't realised she needs to reconnect her computer to the new router which obviously is a new SSID. The only diagnostic I have is that <panic> it doesn't work. She is however in her 50s so let's not be too mean.

One more question. How do you access the configuration page for the O2 router. It's an IP address you enter as URL

To access the configuration page type in 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1.) in the adress bar of any web browser but it depends on the router really, if it doesn't work tell me the model and I'll be able to help. You will have to log in there (presumably, depends on he automatic configuration od the router) as well but the username and password should be provided in one of the letters. If you have troubles let me know and I'll take a look when I am home (writing this from top of my head)

hmmmm.  I'm have a similar situation - former Alice customer.  Last year O2 was trying to get me to "agree" to a new router, and of course there were possible contract changes with it, so I simply never responded.

I will prepare myself for a forced upgrade ;)

This sounds a bit like what happened to me this week, except I didn't get a new router in the mail, my phone & wifi just died and the instructions from O2's mail don't work...!

I have the same problem again. This time the router was powered down in a different apartment from the ones mentioned above. On powering up it failed to reconnect, and obviously I need a new router. Slightly complicated by the fact that my tenants name is on the postbox but mine although the internet is in my name.

I sent a message to O2 last night on their facebook account as recommended. Well I sent a message, I didn't post on their page. No answer, not even to say they didn't understand my German.

What do I do now. I have a tenant without internet, and a communication black hole with O2. 

Technically I have a "Storung" but cannot even find a Storungs Nummer on their web page.

I would strongly suggest you call them.  I have a few friends who wated patiently forever and never got a reply until they got a hold of a real person.

I think I had the same problem a few months ago. I had received a letter about the technology changeover that would require a new router but I never received it and the date came and I had no connection. I contacted o2de support on Twitter (in English) and they were quickly able to track that the router had been sent to the wrong address and sent another one.

I've never actually used twitter, but I see the logic that when you actually talk to a human they have to respond.

So what is the best number to call O2 on. Their website simply expalians that almost all questions can be answered by looking on their website.

when you do get through.. ask them to add your Girlfriend and her partners name to the mailing adress..

@sneaker

On 7/27/2017, 11:16:20, MadAxeMurderer said:

Anyway O2 have unsolicited sent new routers to 2 of my apartments. Maybe the 3rd also except it's currently empty being renovated. One of my tenants called me today in a minor panic. The interent no longer works. She tried connecting the new router but it doesn't work. It probably has to be programmed with the account/password. O2 Kundendienst is currently not answering the phone.

9 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I've never actually used twitter, but I see the logic that when you actually talk to a human they have to respond.

So what is the best number to call O2 on. Their website simply expalians that almost all questions can be answered by looking on their website.

I did successfully call them before christmas and indeed, it was very very difficult to get a phone number.  No I don't have it anymore but what I remember is that I started filling out a series of "support" questions that start with the problem "I have no internet connection" (oh the irony...like if you have no connection, how are you supposed to accomplish this?  I think that's the point).  It "guided" me through steps to turn the router on and off (ha!) and asked if that worked...I said "no" and was finally given a phone number to call so that's all I can suggest - find the support portal and unless they have changed something, if you play along they will eventually fork over the live person number.

but really, O2 SUCKS

if anyone can recommend a better supplier I'm all ears.  Anyone have experience with M-Net?  we had fiber installed in the building a couple years back so if they offer decent service I might pay a bit more for that.

@MadAxeMurderer

MAM, you can try this number,

089 78 79 79 400

I have called on several occasions with mixed results. Anything from 1 minute wait to eventually putting down the phone because I needed to leave the house.

They will make you answer a bunch of questions (voice recognition thingy) but stay on the line. Don't let it get you to hang up, eventually you'll get put in a queue to talk to someone.

I finally called 0176 88855222. 

After an annoying series of questions from a robot (who didn't understand fuckoff, just ja & nein) including: did I try switching it off and on again? after asking was it connected? I was transferred to a human and told the wait queue was 1 minute which it was..

Explained the situation, 3 accounts, 3 flats all rented my name not on postbox, and she had no problem sending it to my Hausmeister as requested by tenant who isn't home during the day. She also suggested giving me the activation PINs for all 3 accounts.

I ended up thanking her for the helpful and competent assistance. 

So if you can get past the robots the humans are great.