Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Recommendation for relocation agent/company in Berlin

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

My husband has just accepted a job offer in Berlin, and we will be moving from the U.S. in October with our young children (ages 5, 2, and an infant). I am looking for a relocation agency or company to help us get set up when we arrive. Specifically, I am looking for a company to help us with paperwork related to visa/work/residence permits, finding an apartment, setting up utilities, finding a kindergarten, etc. We'll also need help finding temporary housing for when we first arrive, as we wait for our things to be shipped over. I was able to find several relocation agencies on Google, but I am wondering if anyone has any experiences with any of them and could perhaps offer a recommendation.

Related to that, I also have a question about using an agent to find an apartment. Would we use the relocation company to do this, or would be need to find a separate real estate agent just for specifically looking for apartments?

Thank you in advance for your help!

On 7/27/2017, 1:41:23, Elspth said:

Hello,

My husband has just accepted a job offer in Berlin, and we will be moving from the U.S. in October with our young children (ages 5, 2, and an infant). I am looking for a relocation agency or company to help us get set up when we arrive. Specifically, I am looking for a company to help us with paperwork related to visa/work/residence permits, finding an apartment, setting up utilities, finding a kindergarten, etc. We'll also need help finding temporary housing for when we first arrive, as we wait for our things to be shipped over. I was able to find several relocation agencies on Google, but I am wondering if anyone has any experiences with any of them and could perhaps offer a recommendation.

Related to that, I also have a question about using an agent to find an apartment. Would we use the relocation company to do this, or would be need to find a separate real estate agent just for specifically looking for apartments?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi, 

We moved from NYC to Berlin in October of 2014 and needed all the same help you do (minus the 3 kids ... though we have one now). We're also now back in the States. We used an EXCELLENT relocation agent (whose english is strong) and he helped us find a place, figure out the residence permit, set up utilities and more. He also helped us figure out the move back home. When we'd have random questions, he wouldn't nickle and dime us for his time. I have to find his contact info. DM me your contact/phone info and i'll DM you or text you back with his information. I'm also happy to give you any tips about moving to and living in Berlin as an American if you have questions. 

Talk soon... 

why even post this if you're only going to reveal the name of the relo guy privately?

ffs just PM the op and leave it at that.

We just moved recently to Berlin from Sweden. Just like you, I was in contacts with several Relocation Company. We finally decided to go to Move to Berlin Relocation (you can google it), their address is : Malmöer Str. 25A, 10439 Berlin.

The person whose in charge of helping us is Christine Gerkrath (gerkrath@moveto-berlin.com). She is on vacation until August 5th and her partner Sabine helped us with signing the apartment contract today. 

We decided with this company because upon my research, this company seems reliable and received lots of positive feedbacks. We did not sign up for residency/visa service because my husband's employee has Legal Dept that handles these sort of things. But we used her for finding : Temporary accommodation (through Coming Home and we did have some issues with the apartment we are staying, but they did help us to get out of contract early, with this temporary accommodation, they were able to register us, and you do need this Anmeldung paper), finding an apartment (they sent us questionnaire about the apartment/house you are looking, sent us several choices, accompanied us to do the viewings and found us a place that works for everyone, we just signed the contract today and they did check the contract for you and answers all your questions), finding schools and kitas for our children (still in progress, but we know that it will be taken care real soon)

So far we are quite pleased with the process and they always answer our questions real quick. 

If you are looking for temporary accommodation, I would highly recommend you to ask them to check on the temporary apartment that you are interested in person so there is no unpleasant surprise. They found us a temporary apartment through Coming Home and the pictures look wonderful and I didn't even think to ask the relocation company to check in person. When we arrived we were very shock to see the apartment probably has never been cleaned for months (dust everywhere). It was just disgusting, you would find a sticky egg yolk or sticky yellow substance in between the silverware, pots and pans that needs to get clean and bonus was internet not working properly at all. They did manage to shorten our contract with Coming Home as we just want to be out of this place asap. 

On 8/2/2017, 3:07:06, Kellygirl said:

We just moved recently to Berlin from Sweden. Just like you, I was in contacts with several Relocation Company. We finally decided to go to Move to Berlin Relocation (you can google it), their address is : Malmöer Str. 25A, 10439 Berlin.

The person whose in charge of helping us is Christine Gerkrath (gerkrath@moveto-berlin.com). She is on vacation until August 5th and her partner Sabine helped us with signing the apartment contract today. 

We decided with this company because upon my research, this company seems reliable and received lots of positive feedbacks. We did not sign up for residency/visa service because my husband's employee has Legal Dept that handles these sort of things. But we used her for finding : Temporary accommodation (through Coming Home and we did have some issues with the apartment we are staying, but they did help us to get out of contract early, with this temporary accommodation, they were able to register us, and you do need this Anmeldung paper), finding an apartment (they sent us questionnaire about the apartment/house you are looking, sent us several choices, accompanied us to do the viewings and found us a place that works for everyone, we just signed the contract today and they did check the contract for you and answers all your questions), finding schools and kitas for our children (still in progress, but we know that it will be taken care real soon)

So far we are quite pleased with the process and they always answer our questions real quick. 

If you are looking for temporary accommodation, I would highly recommend you to ask them to check on the temporary apartment that you are interested in person so there is no unpleasant surprise. They found us a temporary apartment through Coming Home and the pictures look wonderful and I didn't even think to ask the relocation company to check in person. When we arrived we were very shock to see the apartment probably has never been cleaned for months (dust everywhere). It was just disgusting, you would find a sticky egg yolk or sticky yellow substance in between the silverware, pots and pans that needs to get clean and bonus was internet not working properly at all. They did manage to shorten our contract with Coming Home as we just want to be out of this place asap. 

I saw this earlier but wanted to thank you for the helpful response! Good to keep in mind about the temp apartment. Thanks again :)

We are moving to Berlin in October and I had a similar question. Has anyone used inBerlin Homes at all? They seem to be a new company so there's no reviews yet. 

Any other recommendations also helpful.