GermanWings ignores Ombudsman ruling to pay €600

27 posts in this topic

OP I think you will get more help if you simply states in a list the facts, what was the ruling of the Ombudsman and the details of how they come to 600 EUR, as well as the reasoning for 4U to deny the payment. 

59 minutes ago, Uncle Nick said:

Well, if you don't read them you can't complain about not knowing them. "Unwissenheit shützt nicht vor Strafe" figuratively speaking. ;)

Did you know that when you book a ticket you accept that the captain of the plane has the same powers as the captain of a ship which includes the right to eject you without giving reason, marry you, and in certain circumstances execute you?

United Airlines were fully within their rights to drag the doctor off that famous flight and rough him up. It may have been bad publicity but it wasn't illegal.

15 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

...which includes the right to eject you without giving reason...

Hopefully not in mid-flight, at least not without a parachute and possibly a life-jacket!

5 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Does anybody read the 30k+ word T&Cs before signing up for things?

This isn't a bog standard booking by a legal adult, MAM - it's two unaccompanied minors. The OP's son was negligent in not inquiring about their policy for such cases.

Doesn't that airline offer minors to be accompanied by staff?  Lufthansa and many others do for a relatively low fee.  I paid for this until my daughter was 15. My personal opinion is that as child of 12 years of age would be hard pushed to navigate the airport system alone beyond security.

Eurowings offer an unaccompanied minor service only for specific flights:

Unaccompanied minor service

On direct domestic flights and direct flights from Germany to Zurich or Vienna Eurowings offers an unaccompanied minor service (UM service) for children aged from five up to and including 11. Our friendly staff will not only ensure the well-being of your child during the flight, but will also make sure that your child arrives safely in the destination airport. In addition, we provide children travelling alone with a savoury snack and still water (0.2 l) and one other drink on board, free of charge.

Source

I am surprised and pleased to report that EuroWings has agreed to meet our claim in full "without recognition of a legal obligation." So thanks to everyone who offered advice.