Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Starting a new bacholer at the age of 28

63 posts in this topic

Hallo..i am an international student and I hold a bacholer degree in economics but unfortunately my chances to find appropriate job is too low..so I decided to start anew bacholer in business information...and I get an admation letter from one university so far...my question is is that worth it or I will just waste my time again ?

I Need an advice please :)

At the age of 28, I had been working for 13yrs...

I never needed a degree, a  BA, a Masters, a PHD... I just got a job...

I didnt do too badly because of it...  

Have you tried looking for a job at McDonalds?

12 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

At the age of 28, I had been working for 13yrs...

I never needed a degree, a  BA, a Masters, a PHD... I just got a job...

I didnt do too badly because of it...  

Have you tried looking for a job at McDonalds?

I have a job now in Edeka actually I have been working there for more than one year...but it's not my dream job and I have more than 5 years experience in telcomunication feld

39 minutes ago, Maria wilson said:

I have more than 5 years experience in telcomunication feld

Could you be a little bit more specific?

"Experience in telecommunication", what's that, did you work as call center agent? Or PBX technician? Or the bloke who operates the digger to lay out the telephone cables? Or sales stuff for new mobile phone contracts? Dispatcher on a manual PBX in Bangladesh?   

1 minute ago, franklan said:

Could you be a little bit more specific?

"Experience in telecommunication", what's that, did you work as call center agent? Or PBX technician? Or the bloke who operates the digger to lay the telephone cables? Or sales stuff for new mobile phone contracts? Dispatcher on a manual PBX in Bangladesh?   

I was working in the marketing department ..the point is should I do another bacholer or not ?

5 minutes ago, Maria wilson said:

I was working in the marketing department ..the point is should I do another bacholer or not ?

Erm, OK... Let me put it another way: A bachelor degree (in Germany) is like a key to some (otherwise) closed doors. Please describe the door (you want to walk through)... 

22 minutes ago, franklan said:

Erm, OK... Let me put it another way: A bachelor degree (in Germany) is like a key to some (otherwise) closed doors. Please describe the door (you want to walk through)... 

I would like to find a job in the IT sector...and start a career in this field.. beside my business degree and experience I could find a good job 

Southern Germany experience here only:  3 year bachelors are dime a dozen and don't lead to a good job. Most people seem to also need a masters anymore. For my anglosaxon ears this sounds strange, but in practical Germany perhaps another bachelors  degree would give potential employers the wrong impression.. 

Have you considered Ausbildung or Praktikum?   Advantages: get a decent job and get paid from day 1,  potentially life long work with the said company, have a very useful certificate in the same number of years, opportunity to improve German everyday! , lots of places crying out for such people,  could use your maturity as a big advantage to employer, and unless you aspire to be in uppermanagement, a lot of people with certificates do very well indeed.

Good luck!

27 minutes ago, Maria wilson said:

I would like to find a job in the IT sector...and start a career in this field.. beside my business degree and experience I could find a good job 

OK, you want to study at some university, in the IT sector. The German Hochschulen and Fachhochschulen are quite a PITA when it comes to math, a solid foundation in math is necessary to survive...

Calculate this (using pen and paper), please:

term.jpg.7b2c6d973ccf8e46e6b316615d6f1f2

Clear message (which you might not like to hear): If you cannot solve/calculate that using pen and paper, your skills in math are not sufficient to finish a German Studium in the IT field. You're 28, it is certainly possible that you had that skill 10 years ago... But if that skill isn't there anymore, you do not have the necessary solid foundation to study in that field...

1 hour ago, Maria wilson said:

I don't know "business information". But computer science (Informatik) graduates are sought after at the moment. Especially women because companies want to be more diverse and there are few female graduates and even fewer who actually go into the private sector instead of dropping out to become a stay-at-home mother. In the public sector they are even preferred by law.

So if you could finish your B.Sc. quickly in three years I think you'd have decent job prospects. But: how much are you interested in IT and math? It is a very mathematical field esp. at universities. If in doubt I would recommend a fachhochschule. Of course you might be a bit late for the winter semester - deadlines are usually somewhere between end of May and mid-July.

4 hours ago, sneaker said:

In the public sector they are even preferred by law.

No they aren't - and any suggestion of a woman having been preferred for her gender would lead to lawsuits.

2 hours ago, kato said:

In the public sector they are even preferred by law.

No they aren't - and any suggestion of a woman having been preferred for her gender would lead to lawsuits.

Kato, that's BS. Especially the public sector is actively seeking to reach the goal that the employee structure reflects the structure of the population.

As an example, you might want to look at this job ad by "Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge", which contains this sentence: "Bei gleicher Eignung, Befähigung und fachlicher Leistung werden Frauen nach Maßgabe des § 8 Bundesgleichstellungsgesetz sowie schwerbehinderte Menschen bevorzugt berücksichtigt."

Google translate does a decent job with that sentence: "In the case of equal qualifications, competences and professional performance, women are preferred to be considered according to § 8 Bundesgleichsetzungsgesetz as well as severely handicapped persons."

Here is the link.

So, if you're a woman with a hunchback, you should apply with the BAMF, because you will have a double preference :).

9 hours ago, Maria wilson said:

The IT sector is very broad. What kind of discipline? Support, Training, Sales, Consultancy, Development? Not every discipline requires math or a technical background. I have two business degrees incl. economics and marketing. I started as a support trainee and after 18 months I became a junior IT consultant in ERP. 

11 hours ago, franklan said:

OK, you want to study at some university, in the IT sector. The German Hochschulen and Fachhochschulen are quite a PITA when it comes to math, a solid foundation in math is necessary to survive...

Calculate this (using pen and paper), please:

term.jpg.7b2c6d973ccf8e46e6b316615d6f1f2

Clear message (which you might not like to hear): If you cannot solve/calculate that using pen and paper, your skills in math are not sufficient to finish a German Studium in the IT field. You're 28, it is certainly possible that you had that skill 10 years ago... But if that skill isn't there anymore, you do not have the necessary solid foundation to study in that field...

Can I ask what you base that on? I find that formula a little scary.  I was looking at Informatik degrees a while ago and I remember reading on an admissions page that you do not need a 1.x in maths to complete the degree successfully. 

6 hours ago, Atrag said:

Can I ask what you base that on? I find that formula a little scary.  I was looking at Informatik degrees [..]. 

My own experience whilst studying Informatik & Elektrotechnik. You might want to argue that this stuff comes due to the "Elektrotechnik" part but if you go for the "IT and Business" route, you have the same shite with mathematical analysis of business data (statistical analysis).

That degree is (in either case) not a visit to the petting zoo, solid foundation of math is key...

I work in IT (with a Master), my boyfried works in IT (after a praktikum).

Like easytodraw, I would suggest to investigate other possibilities like praktikum, especially that if you would go for bachelor/master, you would study lots of stuff that will be useless, while working in the field would teach you the job. I get also the impression that companies are interested in hiring woman in IT fields, so I would recommend going for the fastest track. 

However, it would certainly help if you have a clearer idea which aspect of IT you are interested in: there are tons of different job in the field. Depending on what you like and where you want to go, the answer could be different. Companies can also differ (for example in mine you cannot go for managerial position without at least a bachelor degree, if not master)

In terms of value on the german market, as discussed somewhere else concurrently, german IT companies dont tend to see age as particularly negative, though you might well end up deciding you need a masters too, so expect it to be more like 5-6 years study rather than about 3. 

Whether or not it is worth it depends mostly on your level of interest, motivation and skill. If you are not really interested in IT and dont have a natural talent for it then it will most likely be a horrible 3 or 4 years at the end of which you will have a mediocre grade and quite likely low employability.  Even in IT fresh batchelor graduates dont have it all easy.

On the other hand if you love IT, enjoy programming, have a raspberry Pi at home and so on then it will be a fantastic learning experience and will set you up for a career you love.

But then if you are someone with a natural love and affinity for the subject, as SpiderPig so eloquently suggested maybe you dont need an IT degree.  I for example dont have one and it hasnt harmed my career in the least here, and I am far from alone, some of the best people I work with have degrees as varied as Japanese and biology.