Trump's Presidency: Is this the next domino to fall?

7,155 posts in this topic

Back to the nothingburger excuse, are we? I thought we were at "yeah, we colluded, but collusion isn't bad".

I'll wait and see what Mueller's money guys turn up.

7 minutes ago, SA618 said:

4.  confiscation of property / cash from accused criminals

No, freeze the assets pending investigation -  confiscation if and when convicted. Innocent until proven guilty unless the law changes.

That is not the way it is currently working.    

The term to search is "asset forfeiture".    It is not new (basically a side effect from the "War on Drugs") , but it may become accepted during this administration.  

11 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Back to the nothingburger excuse, are we? I thought we were at "yeah, we colluded, but collusion isn't bad".

I'll wait and see what Mueller's money guys turn up.

As crony capitalist Warren Buffet says, "if a policeman follows you in your car for 500 miles, you're going to get a ticket". 

Mueller will turn up something strategically unimportant but salacious and everyone will be initially captivated and then deeply dissatisfied.    

There will be yet another bombshell or domino to fall from an unreliable or anonymous source sometime in the next 1-2 weeks (unless the bombshell factory is on vacation) and yet again, it will be the incontrovertible piece of evidence to seal the argument until a couple of weeks later when it falls apart.   Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

There are important policy issues which are not receiving sufficient attention from the public or the politicos in favor of Russian conspiracy stories.   

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Yeah, I'm sure the Trump administration is gonna get right on that.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/sessions-forfeiture-justice-department-civil/534168/

Trump did not start it, but Sessions wants to take it to the next level.

The Dems are fixated on conspiracy theories involving Russians which will go nowhere and they are the best chance at a meaningful opposition.     Anti-Russia hysteria is the only consistent philosophy the party is currently projecting. 

6 minutes ago, SA618 said:

Anti-Russia hysteria is the only consistent philosophy the party is currently projecting. 

All the major intelligence agencies have stated that there is incontrovertible truth that Russia interfered in the last election. Pursuing that interference - and any potential collusion by Trump campaign officials and/or family members in carrying out that interference - is hardly "anti-Russia hysteria".

In case you haven't noticed, the Republicans control both houses of Congress, and therefore chair the investigative committees, and they're just as interested (with a few notable exceptions) in getting to the bottom of this as the Democrats are. The Republicans have also joined the Democrats in their near-unanimous support for strengthening sanctions against Russia, making it practically veto-proof. They would hardly do so if this were all merely "anti-Russia hysteria" on the part of the Democrats.

Scaramucci is the next snake to fall.  A mere 11 days after he was announced as the new Communication Director he was fired by Trump at the recommendation of the new Chief of Staff John Kelly.  Good riddance. 

When you're  newly in charge of the nest of snakes  find the meanest, foul mouth snake and take him down, this way they'll all respect you. 

This New Yorker article where he went on a tirade to this reporter helped to get Scaramucci out of the White House.

I'm very sorry to see that the Mooch has gone already. His entertainment factor was immense. Whenever do you have a communications director who looks and sounds as if he were straight from central casting for a Goodfellas sequel?

What the Hell? This craziness is spinning faster and faster.

As for casting, the Mooch made me think of The Godfather. ;)

Scaramucci reminds me of a more tightly-wrapped Paul Ryan.  They share the same smug countenance.  Let us hope that Ryan's downfall will be equally precipitate and decisive.

But does this mean we'll get Spicer back?

2 hours ago, katheliz said:

But does this mean we'll get Spicer back?

Fraid not kliz, spicy has been consumed

19 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

All the major intelligence agencies have stated that there is incontrovertible truth that Russia interfered in the last election. Pursuing that interference - and any potential collusion by Trump campaign officials and/or family members in carrying out that interference - is hardly "anti-Russia hysteria".

This story becomes less interesting when the very thin details of interference and meddling are elaborated.  

As the CIA director mentioned recently, Russia has tried to "meddle" in the last Presidential 3 elections.    Nothing new. 

18 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Then let's see the evidence, so that it can be assessed by independent and credible experts.Do you believe that US officials have any credibility left - and for once that isn't Trump's fault? Don't we recall Obama's risible show of seizing the Russian's dacha?

Americans seem to be in an echo chamber. Other countries don't share their weird, Cold-War like obsession with the Russians, and even less do they care about America's butt hurt that for once - maybe- they may have received the same treatment that they like to dish out to others.

The sanctions are supposed to work typically US style. The US imposes them and Europeans are supposed to pay for them while generating additional business for the US. Just kindly f*** off, US. I hope that there will be determined retaliation from the EU for once.

20 minutes ago, SA618 said:

This story becomes less interesting when the very thin details of interference and meddling are elaborated.  

As the CIA director mentioned recently, Russia has tried to "meddle" in the last Presidential 3 elections.    Nothing new. 

Well, if they are happy with Russia meddling then I guess it's ok then.

However while Trump is firing his best, he only hires the best and build the best team, this was going on..
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bill-browders-senate-judiciary-committee-hearing_uk_597ee55ce4b02a4ebb7675a6?

As I say, if people are happy with a foreign power doing this..
Doesn't just happen in the states I expect, Le Pen's party was bankrolled by loans from a Russian bank. No chance of any influence for the Russian government... Honest...

2 hours ago, Oblomov said:

Then let's see the evidence, so that it can be assessed by independent and credible experts.Do you believe that US officials have any credibility left - and for once that isn't Trump's fault? Don't we recall Obama's risible show of seizing the Russian's dacha?

Does anyone remember the intell services assessment about Iraqi WMDs?    

Anyone who wanted to see evidence was smeared as unpatriotic.   Anyone who does not accept the Russian conspiracy stories without question is treated the same way.   

Americans seem to be in an echo chamber. Other countries don't share their weird, Cold-War like obsession with the Russians...

The view in the US is divided but with 24 by 7 anti-Russian propaganda on CNN, MSNBC and other networks, opinion will shift.

The sanctions are supposed to work typically US style. The US imposes them and Europeans are supposed to pay for them while generating additional business for the US. Just kindly f*** off, US. I hope that there will be determined retaliation from the EU for once.

Trump wants lower oil prices and lower natural gas prices as well as a lower US dollar.   If he can arrange it at the expense of Russia, the US would have even more leverage than it has now.   In my opinion, it is better than going to war in Ukraine or Georgia.

2 hours ago, cb6dba said:

Well, if they are happy with Russia meddling then I guess it's ok then.

Define exactly what is meant by meddling first.   Do you mean hit pieces coming out of media outlet RT and fly-by-night news sites based out of Bulgaria and Romania?   Do you mean amateurish hacks of local voter databases in a few US counties?   

Should we expel diplomats, confiscate diplomatic property and ratchet up already tense relations if that is the degree of meddling?   I don't think so.

BBC broadcasts in Russian.   In the past there was Radio Free Europe.   Deutsche Welle is available in Russian.   Do you think that there is no exchange of propaganda ?

However while Trump is firing his best, he only hires the best and build the best team, this was going on..
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bill-browders-senate-judiciary-committee-hearing_uk_597ee55ce4b02a4ebb7675a6?

Trump's Press Secretary taunted the press saying that after Browder's testimony, on the one day where the Russian story should have been news, there were no questions about Russia.   Watch Browder's full testimony, especially his exchange with Lindsey Graham and you will see why the Don Jr. meeting is no longer part of the narrative. 

As I say, if people are happy with a foreign power doing this..
Doesn't just happen in the states I expect, Le Pen's party was bankrolled by loans from a Russian bank. No chance of any influence for the Russian government... Honest...

It is not a binary situation.   All countries spy on each other and try to exert influence to their advantage.   

The question is to what degree there was "meddling" and what exactly the methods and impact of meddling were.  

The details are thin for such an obvious slam dunk.