Trump's Presidency: Is this the next domino to fall?

7,155 posts in this topic

For 24 hours last week, Trey Gowdy, the former South Carolina congressman best known for leading congressional investigations of Hillary Clinton, was the new face of President Donald Trump’s outside legal defense and a symbol of a streamlined effort to respond to a fast-moving impeachment inquiry.

A day later, the arrangement fell apart, with lobbying rules prohibiting Gowdy from starting until January, possibly after the inquiry is over. Now, according to two people familiar with events, Gowdy is never expected to join the team. And Trump advisers are back to square one, searching for a different lawyer.

How a celebrated announcement quickly ended in disarray offers a rare public glimpse into the internal posturing — and undercutting of colleagues — that has been playing out in the West Wing on a daily basis since House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced a formal impeachment inquiry last month. Even as the White House confronts a deepening threat to Trump’s presidency, it has struggled to decide how to respond, and who should lead that response.

the rest

ETA - How many dominoes it it now? Thanks, Uncle Nick for starting this thread. 

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

How Trump inspires people -

here

Trouble is, that sort of behaviour inspires the knuckle-draggers to do the same.

We've had xenophobic and racist attacks in the UK where quotes from politicians were used against their victims.

12 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Trouble is, that sort of behaviour inspires the knuckle-draggers to do the same.

We've had xenophobic and racist attacks in the UK where quotes from politicians were used against their victims.

You got it. My whole point.

14 minutes ago, hooperski said:

That is very true. But I still think adults should take responsibility for their own behaviour ie not only politicians. 

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

That is very true. But I still think adults should take responsibility for their own behaviour ie not only politicians. 

In a perfect world.

How many followed Hitler?

Many irresponsible people, I‘m afraid?. And a dumb herd effect.

Basically, if an adult commits a serious offence- murder, rape, mugging a little old lady, sodomising a child - who is responsible? The victim or the perp? Or „ there was this bloke on the telly who did it or recommended it— wasn‘t my fault, guv. „

Having said that, people in power should be wise and considered - not many around at the moment.?

I am your leader, fraufruit!??

Follow me!!

By the way, what I sincerely like about you: you speak your mind!

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

I am your leader, fraufruit!??

Follow me!!

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King. B)

— forgot to finish my sentence.. should have read : „ follow me to oblivion!“?

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

You just don't get it.

There are leaders and there are followers. Always have been, always will be.

Simple as that.

indeed.  I dare say though, that had the non-followers not been so...I dunno, unenthusiastic?  apathetic?  stupid?  trump nor hitler would be where they were after election time.  

didn't hitler get in through the backdoor as he was appointed as opposed to directly elected, by hindenburg who barely squeaked through the election? Didn't trump win based more on the shitty details of the electoral college system in the US, coupled with so many people thinking he couldn't possibly win and/or they didn't want to hold their noses (as they put it) for Hillary so they stood down?  I also remember when Mario Cuomo (a really excellent dude) lost to a complete asshat, George Pataki, for the simple reason that everyone assumed Cuomo would win again, and didn't bother to vote at all.  And there's the sad story of just enough people voting for Ralph Nader instead of Al Gore, whence we got Shrub.  Etc etc.

I guess my point is it's not just the followers who are a problem.  it could have been stopped.

President Donald Trump on Monday suggested that Kurdish forces have deliberately released ISIS prisoners to pull the US back into northern Syria, providing no evidence to support this assertion. 

The baseless allegation is part of a broader trend from Trump, who has a long history of floating conspiracy theories. 

Trump, who's faced widespread criticism for pulling US troops out of northeast Syria and abandoning Kurdish forces there, on Monday tweeted: "Europe had a chance to get their ISIS prisoners, but didn't want the cost. 'Let the USA pay,' they said...Kurds may be releasing some to get us involved. Easily recaptured by Turkey or European Nations from where many came, but they should move quickly."

The president added, "Big sanctions on Turkey coming! Do people really think we should go to war with NATO Member Turkey? Never ending wars will end!"

Trump's tweets came after it was reported over the weekend that ISIS-affiliated prisoners had escaped a camp in northern Syria amid a Turkish military operation. Turkey invaded Syria last week following the withdrawal of US troops from the region. 

The White House and Pentagon did not immediately respond to requests for comment from Insider on whether there's any evidence Kurdish forces, who until last week were closely allied with the US, intentionally released prisoners.

the rest

What a difference a few days make.

Abandoned by the Americans, their former allies, Syria’s Kurds reportedly are allowing troops from the Assad regime to enter territory they had under their control. The Kurds also are putting out feelers to Russia for support against an onslaught by Turkish troops and Turkish-supported militias.

A return of Bashar al-Assad’s forces to northeastern Syria for the first time in seven years would make visible the end to the bitter, controversial U.S. mission there against the so-called Islamic State. That’s not because of any concerted decision to withdraw by President Trump, whose antiwar rhetoric obscured his vacillation about leaving. It’s because Assad will deny his American adversary the room to operate that the Syrian Kurds had provided their deceitful American partners. 

“We know that we would have to make painful compromises with Moscow and Bashar al-Assad if we go down the road of working with them,” the Kurdish commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) wrote in an op-ed published Sunday in Foreign Policy. “But if we have to choose between compromises and the genocide of our people, we will surely choose life for our people.”

More in sorrow than in anger, the commander, Mazloum Abdi, wrote, “When the whole world failed to support us, the United States extended its hands. We shook hands and appreciated its generous support.”

But under Turkish pressure, at Washington’s request, the Kurds “agreed to withdraw our heavy weapons from the border area with Turkey, destroy our defensive fortifications, and pull back our most seasoned fighters. Turkey would never attack us so long as the U.S. government was true to its word with us.”

Or so they believed. 

“We are now standing with our chests bare to face the Turkish knives,” Mazloum wrote.

the rest

9 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Donnie's really giving that Sharpie a workout, trying to rewrite the Ukraine reality.

Check out the new talking points - you'll be seeing them here again soon in the screeds from j² and alt-bicus.

I will only post comments to entertain myself and sharpen my own arguments.  

This impeachment process was over before it got off the ground and no amount of facts will convince you otherwise.  

It must be exhausting for you to continue going through this cycle.

16 minutes ago, balticus said:

I will only post comments to entertain myself and sharpen my own arguments.  

This impeachment process was over before it got off the ground and no amount of facts will convince you otherwise.  

It must be exhausting for you to continue going through this cycle.

On 9/27/2019, 8:28:39, balticus said:

307 pages of being wrong and yet you and Jeffo continue like gambling addicts on meth.   Always looking for some action or the next hit.   

Based on what has come out in the past 16 hours, i expect this cycle will fizzle out  around  Monday-Tuesday of next week.  

I'll bet you are wrong again. You have been provably wrong. See?