Trump's Presidency: Is this the next domino to fall?

5,936 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Oh, look - our alt-reality members are swarming. Someone must have sent up the Pratsignal.

Calm down Jeff. Do we so-called "alties" look stressed? as they say #trusttheplan. It's awesome and beautiful God wins.

Go get a dog...

On 8/23/2019, 12:55:26, balticus said:

These discoveries are relatively recent, i.e last 10-15 years and provide a dimension which did not exist during the Cold War. 

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/energy-and-mineral-riches-of-the-arctic/

They've had mining in Greenland for decades.  The off-shore oil reserves, they know about at least since 2001.  However, the riches belong to the Greenlanders. If Greenland were to become fully independent and the US were to offer it to become a state, they would have to make the decision if they wanted to do that. IMO they'd be stupid if they did.  They are 60,000 ppl sitting on a ton of oil.  Why would they want to share it with another 300 million?  

As for Iceland, they have nothing except water, geothermal and cheap power.  No gold, no oil.  Here's a 3 yr. old article about US interest in bringing the base back in some form 10 years after it closed.  Apparently it was Rumsfeld's on a whim decision to close it at the time and apparently not everybody agreed with him that it was a good idea.

9 minutes ago, LeonG said:

They've had mining in Greenland for decades.  The off-shore oil reserves, they know about at least since 2001.  However, the riches belong to the Greenlanders. If Greenland were to become fully independent and the US were to offer it to become a state, they would have to make the decision if they wanted to do that. IMO they'd be stupid if they did.  They are 60,000 ppl sitting on a ton of oil.  Why would they want to share it with another 300 million?  

Greenland will need to mix it up with the Russians and perhaps later, the Chinese.   The US is already assisting Canada in asserting its claims in the Arctic.    The US will be involved one way or another.  

It isn't that the Russians will attack Greenland, but rather encroach on Greenland's territory to get a strategic advantage or extract resources.    I am guessing that it won't be the Danish military that asserts Greenland's claims. 

Iceland and Greenland are separate cases unless there was some sort of two-for-one negotiation or offer floating around. 

2 minutes ago, balticus said:

Greenland will need to mix it up with the Russians and perhaps later, the Chinese.   The US is already assisting Canada in asserting its claims in the Arctic.    The US will be involved one way or another.  

It isn't that the Russians will attack Greenland, but rather encroach on Greenland's territory to get a strategic advantage or extract resources.    I am guessing that it won't be the Danish military that asserts Greenland's claims. 

Iceland and Greenland are separate cases unless there was some sort of two-for-one negotiation or offer floating around. 

Iceland and Greenland have really no ties to speak of except both having been colonies of Denmark.

5d6255bd94541_sorethumb.jpg.0d96e511e6e1

Actually, I don't believe he would acknowledge the presence of his staff...

Wannabe dictator at it again-

Leaning further into a burgeoning economic war with China of his own design, Donald Trump on Friday levied a series of bizarre demands of American companies who do business in the country.

They included an order for American firms to cease production in China.

“Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing your companies HOME and making your products in the USA.”

The proclamation, which the president does not have the power to enforce, might have been expected to unleash a wave of panic and terror among America’s mostly capitalist citizenry – such state-mandated orders are, after all, the stuff of planned-economy communist countries.

But instead, America’s Twitter-sphere resorted mainly to mocking Trump and his rhetorical flourishes. Soon “I hereby order” was taking on a life of its own: from top politicians down to the man-in-the-street Twitter inhabitant....

the tweets here

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

Iceland and Greenland have really no ties to speak of except both having been colonies of Denmark.

You gotta love how our resident propagandists keep on posting blatant lies (sorry, alt-facts) and keep getting owned by people who really know what's going on.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

Why is Iceland relevant ?   AFAIK Trump expressed interest in Greenland. 

Just now, balticus said:

Why is Iceland relevant ?   AFAIK Trump expressed interest in Greenland. 

If you've not been following this thread, there was discussion on whether the interest in Greenland was due to defense or resources.  I pointed out that Pompeo already visited Iceland earlier this year and Pence is coming and so it seems that the US is interested in defense issues at this point.  I don't think Pompeo and Pence just came to lounge in the Blue Lagoon although who knows.

1 minute ago, LeonG said:

If you've not been following this thread, there was discussion on whether the interest in Greenland was due to defense or resources.

There's no point in arguing with this one, LeonG. Whenever you make a point, he'll just move the goalposts, change the subject, or JAQ off.

It's a complete bad faith debating style.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

If you've not been following this thread, there was discussion on whether the interest in Greenland was due to defense or resources.  I pointed out that Pompeo already visited Iceland earlier this year and Pence is coming and so it seems that the US is interested in defense issues at this point.  I don't think Pompeo and Pence just came to lounge in the Blue Lagoon although who knows.

No problem.   Just to be clear, i have made no arguments with respect to Iceland.   It might help if you address your points to the person who was making remarks about Iceland. 

More alt-truths from alt-bicus. Remember, this is the bill of goods he's trying to sell you:

5d627bb36b6b2_38uc4u1.jpg.94e1d9a44cb7b0

Tune in tomorrow when s/he tells us water is wet, the sky is green, and Trump is a great president.

6 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Remember, this is the bill of goods he's trying to sell you:

No it is not.  

Stalking is bad for your health, Jello.   Try to get outside and get some fresh air and exercise.     It will help you deal with anger and frustration. 

On 23/08/2019, 12:59:30, balticus said:

alt-bicus claims that the relationship between Germany and the US has become progressively worse since the 1990s and never stated that the relationship between the two countries has been anything but frosty since 2016.  

But keep on trotting out strawm... strawperson arguments. ;)

Do you have any evidence to suggest it ISN'T frosty? Literally every fucking article I've read in German news media suggests that Merkel thinks Trump is a hopeless imbecile who has a slender grasp on reality and facts.

8 minutes ago, Chocky said:

Literally every fucking article I've read in German news media suggests that Merkel thinks Trump is a hopeless imbecile who has a slender grasp on reality and facts.

She's not the only one. Look what his former cabinet members think:

5d628b46b93fa_D-HFbvvU0AA1ONB1.jpg.0c941

22 minutes ago, Chocky said:

Do you have any evidence to suggest it ISN'T frosty? Literally every fucking article I've read in German news media suggests that Merkel thinks Trump is a hopeless imbecile who has a slender grasp on reality and facts.

Beware of the double negative.   At best, the relationship is frosty.  At worst, it's ice cold.  

More importantly, in my opinion, the differences between the countries are not a matter of personalities.  NS2, NATO contributions, Huawei, Iran, and obsolete trade arrangements without corresponding security arrangements would have been issues had Hillary been elected, and they won't go away with the next POTUS.  

Hope that is clearer.  El Jello purposefully misrepresents my views and offers nothing tangible and can be ignored.