Trump's Presidency: Is this the next domino to fall?

5,982 posts in this topic

@balticus Party of one! Balticus, party of one!

When one views dependency as a matter of dollars spent, one can be rightly seen as myopic and under-informed. When one views strategic goals as valuable currency, one would not be so dumb as to view Europe dependent on the US. However, first one must be able to think strategically.

I guess all these other presidents were also trying to buy Greenland?

Really. Do try harder.

12 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

When one views dependency as a matter of dollars spent, one can be rightly seen as myopic and under-informed. When one views strategic goals as valuable currency, one would not be so dumb as to view Europe dependent on the US. However, first one must be able to think strategically.

It goes beyond money.  

Considering that William Cohen became furious upon learning that the Schröder/Fischer government in the late 1990s was planning to cut back defense expeditures, it seems safe to say that this isn't just about money, but rather a question of commitment.  

Relations between Germany and the US were terrible in the era of Shrub + Schröder/Fischer and later Merkel and then even worse between Obama and Merkel.  

You are chasing headlines rather than looking at the picture over 20-25 years and you get it wrong every time no matter how many insults you hurl.    :rolleyes:

Yeah, the relationship between Obama and Merkel was horrible.

You can really see the contempt in her eyes.

merkelobama.jpg.440cf7b6e1316ae70928620d

Her relationship with Emperor Hirocheeto is obviously much better:

5d5d8ac656ce1_donald-trump-angela-merkel

alt-bicus: 10 percent of the time, he's wrong 100 percent of the time

Oh, and an astute bit of commentary on the Greenland incident over at failing MSM lamestream media CNN:

See, the Greenland story really does have it all! It is the Trump presidency in microcosm. He says and does absolutely wild things. Even his top staffers aren't sure how serious he is about it, and, therefore, don't know whether to actually pursue it. The idea leaks to the media and immediately becomes a thing. Trump freelances, making up his views as he goes. A semi-serious conversation about whether any of this is even possible begins even as the intended target starts to freak out. Trump, either spurred or spurned by all of the attention, leans in -- to it all. Then it all unravels because, as we later learn, he was winging it all along. There was never any "there" there -- just Trump saying stuff.

Greenland was never for sale. Mexico was never going to pay for the wall. His inauguration crowd was never the largest in history. There was not blame on both sides in the white supremacist riots in Charlottesville. Immigrants were never invading our country in hordes. Background checks were never going to happen.

You get the idea. It's the Trump presidency.

Full commentary here

7 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Oh, and an astute bit of commentary on the Greenland incident over at failing MSM lamestream media CNN:

Full commentary here

Russia! Russia! Russia!    :lol:

"US President Donald Trump has called the Danish leader "nasty" after she rebuffed his idea of buying Greenland.

He lashed out hours after Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said she was "sorry" that Mr Trump had abruptly called off a state visit to Denmark."

Trump took umbrage at Ms Frederiksen's remarks.

"I thought that the prime's statement that it was absurd, that it was an absurd idea was nasty," he said. 

"I thought it was an inappropriate statement. All she had to do is say no, we wouldn't be interested."

He added: "She's not talking to me. She's talking to the United States of America. You don't talk to the United States that way, at least under me."

He continued to make digs at Denmark online...

BBC

Really? This "nasty" shit. Again? Sheesh... grow up.

1 minute ago, Janx Spirit said:

"US President Donald Trump has called the Danish leader "nasty" after she rebuffed his idea of buying Greenland.

Yes, he's butthurt they didn't like his idea. Most of Trump's ideas though are somehow surreal like you figure he must be joking and who knows, maybe he's laughing his ass off trying to think of ridiculous things to say but actually I'm more afraid that he really means it 

Regardless of who may have wanted to buy or sell Greenland in colonial times, shit like that just isn't done in the western world anymore. It's a country with a population. You can't just buy or sell it. 

53 minutes ago, balticus said:

Russia! Russia! Russia!    :lol:

wrong! Racism Racism Racism! :)

13 hours ago, balticus said:

even worse between Obama and Merkel.

Yeah, the animosity is clear.

5d5e32c16bb71_7w993qhighc0.bild1.jpg.67a

Whereas here it's obvious she respects Trump so much she won't even show her face.

5d5e32edadbb0_75D27UPXPU26HJHOKTFQN7JDBY

Truly alt-bicus has an astonishing intellect.

27 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Yeah, the animosity is clear.

Relations between the US and Germany were worse during Obama's Presidency than under Bush's (which were terrible).

That twinkle in Merkel's eye reflects the fact that despite the Snowden revelations that the US was collecting data in Germany and monitoring Angie's phone, the German public loved Obama.    The CIA station chief in Berlin was sent home under the threat of being labeled "persona non grata".   

As long as the German public hates Trump, there will be no fawning from Angela.

In both cases, i.e. glorifying Obama and demonizing Trump and framing foreign relations in terms of personalities rather than interests is working against Germany's own interests.  

I can post some pictures of Obama and Hillary Clinton (or Bill and Hillary) hugging.    It doesn't mean that they love each other.   :lol:

8 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

If you are unaware of the Snowden revelations and the threat to declare the CIA station chief "persona non grata", then you should simply watch this discussion from the sidelines and google to fill in the blanks.  

The issue of deficient defense spending on the German side is more than 20 years old .   

Do you need articles to show that relations were bad during the Bush II administration and that relations are currently bad?   

If you have doubts, please ask specific questions and i will try to provide context, but i won't be footnoting every detail that is widely accepted.  

44 minutes ago, balticus said:

Relations between the US and Germany were worse during Obama's Presidency than under Bush's (which were terrible).

Maybe this helps you.

FT_18.04.26_GermanyUS_Germanviewsof.png

6 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Maybe this helps you.

FT_18.04.26_GermanyUS_Germanviewsof.png

Polls about what average people think do not drive geopolitics. 

17 minutes ago, balticus said:

Polls about what average people think do not drive geopolitics. 

Tell us more. Maybe you want to read this first.

As Chancellor Angela Merkel battles for re-election in the country's federal election on September 24, her allies have decided that the former president's endorsement is a powerful weapon in their arsenal. In one of his last trips as president in November Obama said in Berlin that he'd vote for Merkel if he were German.

According to the Washington Post, a translation of Obama's endorsement, reading "Wenn ich könnte, würde ich Merkel wählen," appears on a set of posters promoting the campaign of Thomas Heilmann, a candidate for Merkel's Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party.

The posters use the iconic stenciled image of Obama from his 2008 campaign, designed by artist Shepard Fairey. The German posters juxtapose the image's original red white and blue colouring with the red, black and gold of the German flag, and the CDU's logo.

Heilmann, whose staff have put up 100 of the posters in South West Berlin, told the Post that the posters are a snub to President Donald Trump. "This is a nice way of saying, 'We prefer the former one,'" Heilmann said. "This is how we'd like to see America as a nation, compared to what Trump is doing."

Ooh and go back and read this thing I posted before.

The communication between the chancellor and the U.S. president has been scaled back to a minimum. Whereas Merkel at times spoke with Trump predecessor Barack Obama once a week, contact with Trump has been extremely sparse. "Spontaneous phone calls are not a part of their relationship," says one U.S. diplomat. They often go for several months without speaking to each other.

From a German perspective, conversations with the president are mostly just seen as futile. The have "little practical use," says one government representative. What is Merkel supposed to talk to Trump about? Should she tell him she believes his Iran policy is wrong? The representative says he knows that. Should she try to get him to change course? The official says that's pointless.

In the good old days of the German-American friendship, the U.S. ambassador tried to keep the lines of conversation between the Chancellery and the White House open. "We actually need an American ambassador who mediates, who tells the Americans, even if he doesn't share our position, why we think the way we do," says Gabriel.

Your personal opinion notwithstanding, there's a measurable indication that contempt for Trump drives the currently poorer than ever (since 1949) relationship with Germany.

Forgive me for being a little behind here but the first thing I thought when I heard that Trump wanted to by Greenland was, "With what money?" With the current bazillion dollar debt and not even decent health care for its own people. Greenland is doing just fine, thank you. Who would want what the U.S. has to offer?

The World According to Alt-Bicus

Bad relationship:

5d5e5df76adcd__92486078_gettyimages-8578

Greatest relationship ever, believe me:

merkel_trumpsucks.jpg.a5760885eab09d1f1d

Just in case anybody was ever tempted to take SA618 sorcerers_apprentice alt-bicus seriously...