Trump's Presidency: Is this the next domino to fall?

5,948 posts in this topic

Not sure if any of you ever had the New York Times as a pullout from the Süddeutsche. i really used to like to read some English news ten years ago especially when the Iraq War was criticised during the Bush years. Fox News is mostly shite as it is owned by James Murdoch but only Hannity and Tucker remain, thank God:

 

 

At 2:02: "You know these angry agenda-driven keyboard warriors on social media in their basements wearing their underwear" Brilliant!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

 

 

 

At 2:02: "You know these angry agenda-driven keyboard warriors on social media in their basements wearing their underwear" Brilliant!

Ooh you`re famous

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking childish tantrums to a new low ...

 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/20/trump-greenland-denmark-mette-frederiksen

 

Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time...

 
Absolute fucking dipshit.
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hooperski said:

Taking childish tantrums to a new low ...

 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/20/trump-greenland-denmark-mette-frederiksen

 

Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time...

 
Absolute fucking dipshit.

Quite. It's apparently not any old visit he's cancelled either but a state visit at the invitation of the Queen of Denmark (BBC). Imagine how much preparation that must involve, and for a small country too.
 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you dumb? Every American citizen with half a brain and any education knew about that base.

 

Just because you just learned something does not make it new information. Stop being ridiculous like Trump.

 

3 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Hmmm now I wonder why he raised the issue of Greenland?

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Air_Base

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Hmmm now I wonder why he raised the issue of Greenland?

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Air_Base

 

1.  Water

2.  Rare Earth Metals

3.  US Early Warning Radar is located there, i.e. Greenland is strategic.

4.  US has lobbied to keep China from getting port access there multiple times.

5.  There is currently a resource scramble in the Arctic.   The US is already "helping" Canada protect its territory against Russian ambitions and will certainly need to "help" Greenland.

 

Harry Truman wanted to buy Greenland from Denmark back in 1946.   

 

But the usual suspects think that Trump is the idiot.   :rolleyes:

 

Denmark has been a reliable ally to the US, even helping out in the second Iraq War, but as a country with less than 6 million people, one should be asking:   "if the purpose of the state visit was not to discuss Greenland, why the hell would the POTUS consider going to such a small country?"    The people are nice, the weather is great, and the landscape is interesting, but there are other places which might be more important.   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, balticus said:

 

1.  Water

2.  Rare Earth Metals

3.  US Early Warning Radar is located there, i.e. Greenland is strategic.

4.  US has lobbied to keep China from getting port access there multiple times.

5.  There is currently a resource scramble in the Arctic.   The US is already "helping" Canada protect its territory against Russian ambitions and will certainly need to "help" Greenland.

 

Harry Truman wanted to buy Greenland from Denmark back in 1946.   

 

But the usual suspects think that Trump is the idiot.   :rolleyes:

 

Denmark has been a reliable ally to the US, even helping out in the second Iraq War, but as a country with less than 6 million people, one should be asking:   "if the purpose of the state visit was not to discuss Greenland, why the hell would the POTUS consider going to such a small country?"    The people are nice, the weather is great, and the landscape is interesting, but there are other places which might be more important.   

 

If he looks like an idiot, walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, then he's probably an idiot.

 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458198-trump-quotes-right-wing-figure-who-says-israeli-jews-love-him-like

 

Maybe Trump IS the second coming of God, there are similarities.

Demands to be worshipped.

Vengeful.

Wrathful.

Jealous.

Moves in mysterious ways, can't drink from a glass or close an umbrella.

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, balticus said:

 

1.  Water

2.  Rare Earth Metals

3.  US Early Warning Radar is located there, i.e. Greenland is strategic.

4.  US has lobbied to keep China from getting port access there multiple times.

5.  There is currently a resource scramble in the Arctic.   The US is already "helping" Canada protect its territory against Russian ambitions and will certainly need to "help" Greenland.

 

Harry Truman wanted to buy Greenland from Denmark back in 1946.   

 

But the usual suspects think that Trump is the idiot.   :rolleyes:

 

 

So, you think this was the rational result of a rational thought process. Do you also think the world operates in the same way it did in 1946? 

 

Really, you could not do better than 70 plus years ago as a comparison. Do you know why?

 

Nice try, though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

 

So, you think this was the rational result of a rational thought process.

 

Yes.   And i believe the idea has a lot of merit considering that the US will be forced to defend/project power in Greenland anyway. 

 

4 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Do you also think the world operates in the same way it did in 1946? 

 

No.   And i did not make that claim.   Do you think that Harry Truman was an idiot for considering the purchase?

 

The discovery of resources in the Arctic, the quest for rare earth metal supplies and securing fresh water supplies take on a different level of importance than they did in 1946.   

 

In addition, countering the expansion of Chinese influence beyond the Korean peninsula was not an issue in 1946. 

 

Try reading something related to geopolitics.   

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, balticus said:

Do you think that Harry Truman was an idiot for considering the purchase?

 

Under the conditions in 1946, no.

 

Is Trump an idiot for proposing something publicly to a foreign government without so much as a by-your-leave and then not graciously accepting his well-deserved "No" upon wholly predictable rejection? Is Trump an idiot for thinking that "everything is for sale" like some latter day Gordon Gecko? Is Trump an idiot for not realizing that just because he gets an idea to buy something does not mean he can buy it? Is Trump an idiot for not recognizing the conditions in the world today and taking them into account, up to an including his own terrible reputation and universal loathing?

 

Yes.

 

And anyone who doesn't get that is also an idiot.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balticus said:

 

1.  Water

2.  Rare Earth Metals

3.  US Early Warning Radar is located there, i.e. Greenland is strategic.

4.  US has lobbied to keep China from getting port access there multiple times.

5.  There is currently a resource scramble in the Arctic.   The US is already "helping" Canada protect its territory against Russian ambitions and will certainly need to "help" Greenland.

 

I'd say actually none of the above Balti, even though we rad from the same songsheet, and add 6. Use of the airbases there for extraordinary rendition to shitholes like Egypt and Libya. 

 

If only people knew just how many old bases the US has. I was a part of that when I worked for the DoD. Amazing land holdings...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Is Trump an idiot for ...?

 

 

What do you think was the basis for a visit to such a small country otherwise?     Not sure that tightening the bond with Denmark really accomplishes much for the US.   

 

Even if Trump is "universally loathed" as you claim, it might be worthwhile for long time allies to consider that the US pullback from NATO, the lack of interest in paying for securing the world's shipping lanes, the lack of interest in paying for a disproportional share of Europe's defense, the eagerness to renegotiate trade deals / relationships which were set up to bolster security agreements which no longer apply, and generally, the tendency toward a more isolationist stance are not the creation of Donald Trump.   These trends were in place without him and would have been evident (albeit over a longer timeframe) than if his opponent would have won in 2016.  

 

Europe is completely dependent on the US while the US is not dependent on Europe.   Trump has provided a reality check that has been communicated politely since the 1990s.   

 

If you have completely missed the big picture and you are still focusing on Trump, you will get it wrong every time.   

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now