Trump's Presidency: Is this the next domino to fall?

5,640 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2019, 10:30:22, john g. said:

Why isn´t anybody talking about the societies these poor refugees come from? It surely can´t only be about Trump? Who is causing this misery in El Salvador, Nicaragua and the rest of them in Central America? They have their own Trumps. And their own latifundarios and street gangs etc. It is not ONLY about the US.

 

This is of course an excellent question, although @AlexTr is right and it really deserves another thread, which I may or may not participate in depending on demands on my time.  Unfortunately, this is one of those cases where US foreign/economic policy has had huge direct and indirect effects, helping to keep disconnected elites in power in Latin American countries to the detriment of economic justice and indeed, the overall livability of these countries.  Either the USA must drastically change its policy towards these countries or, if it must maintain those practices, accept much larger migrations northward.  (The other alternative being as you have seen here: punitive imprisonment of migrant children.)

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the numbers of refugees/migrants from South America actually risen over the last few decades?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, go figure. A vocal outrage by a large number of people actually worked! Score one for the idea that calling out atrocities is a catalyst for change.

 

Almost 300 migrant children removed from Texas facility described as 'appalling'

 

Quote

Almost 300 migrant children have been removed from a border patrol facility in Texas after media reports of lawyers describing “appalling” and potentially dangerous conditions, Department of Homeland Security officials told NBC News.

Lawyers who recently visited two Texas facilities holding migrant children described seeing young children and teenagers not being able to shower for days or even weeks, inadequate food, flu outbreaks and prolonged periods of detention.

 

The children who were removed were being held at a border station in Clint, Texas. Some were wearing dirty clothes covered in mucus or even urine, said Elora Mukherjee, the director of the Immigrants’ Rights Clinic at Columbia Law School. Teenage mothers wore clothing stained with breast milk. None of the children had access to soap or toothpaste, she said.

“Almost every child I spoke with had not showered or bathed since they crossed the border — some of them more than three weeks ago,” she said. “There is a stench that emanates from some of the children because they haven’t had an opportunity to put on clean clothes and to take a shower.”

The children have been taken to a tent detention camp also in El Paso, Texas, where they will remain under the custody of Border Patrol until they can be placed with the Department of Health and Human Services, the DHS officials said. The Associated Press first reported on the conditions at the facility.

Mukherjee was part of the team of lawyers who visited the facility last week. She said that although the border station has the capacity for slightly more than 100 people, when they arrived Monday morning there were about 350 children there. The group spoke to more than 60.

“I have never seen conditions as appalling as what we witnessed last week,” she said. “The children are hungry, dirty and sick and being detained for very long periods of time.”

“Children who are young themselves are being told by guards they must take care of even younger children,” Mukherjee said, adding that children as young as 7 and 8 were forced to care for 2-year-olds.

She said almost all the children had been separated from the adults they crossed the border with — siblings, aunts or grandparents, or even their parents.

...

Federal law requires unaccompanied or separated migrant children be transferred to HHS custody within 72 hours, but some children at the Clint facility had been in Border Patrol custody for weeks, she said.

 

 

Where are our GOPers on this one? Oh yeah.

No photo description available.

 

Enjoy that hell you're building for yourselves. Remember what happened to Mussolini and his followers.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, jeba said:

Have the numbers of refugees/migrants from South America actually risen over the last few decades?

 

Mexico and Central America NOT South America.  

 

Central America has been a disaster for a long time, but the region was destabilized when anti-drug efforts in the US forced transport over land rather than by air or water.   

 

This should be another thread because the focus of this thread is to blame the current administration for conditions which have been apparent for more than just the past 2.5 years.     If the harsh situation can be attributed to the Obama Administration and Bush II Administration that is "whataboutism" and BSAB nonsense.     What matters is blaming Trump.   

 

Some people on this thread just woke up to an unpleasant reality when it became an opportunity to score political points against Trump after keeping silent for years.   They don't give a flying rat's a$$ about Central American and Mexican migrants.   

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, balticus said:

 

Mexico and Central America NOT South America. 

 

To be exact, Mexico is in North America.   Central America is a region of North America.  But of course, yes, Mexico is in Central America.

 

9 minutes ago, balticus said:

 

Central America has been a disaster for a long time, but the region was destabilized when anti-drug efforts in the US forced transport over land rather than by air or water.   

 

This should be another thread because the focus of this thread is to blame the current administration for conditions which have been apparent for more than just the past 2.5 years.     If the harsh situation can be attributed to the Obama Administration and Bush II Administration that is "whataboutism" and BSAB nonsense.     What matters is blaming Trump.   

 

Some people on this thread just woke up to an unpleasant reality when it became an opportunity to score political points against Trump after keeping silent for years.   They don't give a flying rat's a$$ about Central American and Mexican migrants.   

 

 

 

Just wait one or two years to see the result of Trump's foreign policies in the area.   Mexico just moved 15000 troops to the border to "take care of the wall" because of Trump's blackmailing, if they didn't do "something" about the illegal immigrants crossing the border Trump was going to impose tariffs to Mexico next month.

 

The problem?  Well, immigration is a job of the "Guardia Nacional", so since they didn't have the manpower to fulfill Trump's tantrum, the President simply ordered the army to stamp a GN bracelet in 15000 soldiers and sent them to the border to take care of the "job" with no training.   But those guys original job is to fight the drug problem.  So now, they are there patrolling the border looking for Salvadorans and Guatemalans, while no one is taking care of the drug cartels.    And to make the whole thing more ridiculous, illegal immigration in Mexico is not a crime, it is just an administration misdemeanor.   So, they will catch them, bringing them to the correct authorities, who then will be overloaded with bureaucracy, the illegal immigrant will still be released and they will try again the next week.
 

Illegal immigrants from from Latin America crossing the border were anyway not that much anymore, the numbers have been steadily reducing since long time ago.   So I am sure, some clever people could find a better way to solve or at least help with the situation.  But the current administration do not really care about the problem itself, they only want to score political benefit.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Krieg said:

But the current administration do not really care about the problem itself, they only want to score political benefit.

That sounds suspiciously like the alt-member you're replying to.

 

Fancy that.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Krieg said:

 

To be exact, Mexico is in North America.   Central America is a region of North America.  But of course, yes, Mexico is in Central America.

 

Thank you, Captain Obvious.    The poster to whom i responded seemed to think that the migration was coming from South America.   

 

9 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Just wait one or two years to see the result of Trump's foreign policies in the area.   

 

Contrary to expectations, the Mexican economy is going to boom under the Trump Presidency.     Mexico will be the recipient of cheap American energy and manufacturing in Mexico will grow rather than shrink.   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, balticus said:

Contrary to expectations, the Mexican economy is going to boom under the Trump Presidency.     Mexico will be the recipient of cheap American energy and manufacturing in Mexico will grow rather than shrink.   

 

Of course the economy is going to boom.   The drug cartels from yesterday have more space to work, so the narco-dolares will flood the country and bring a big push to the economy.   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Krieg said:

 

Of course the economy is going to boom.   The drug cartels from yesterday have more space to work, so the narco-dolares will flood the country and bring a big push to the economy.   

 

I am referring to manufacturing.    Mexico is going to boom.  

 

If the drug cartels are going to become stronger (and they are already very strong), wouldn't more security on the border between Mexico and the US be in order?      

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, balticus said:

 

I am referring to manufacturing.

 

A couple of Machilas are nothing compared to narco-dolares.

 

Quote

If the drug cartels are going to become stronger (and they are already very strong), wouldn't more security on the border between Mexico and the US be in order?      

 

I don't even know if this is a serious question.   But in case it is, most drugs enter the US via the sea and, you will be surprised, most of them using the normal US ports.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Krieg Well, if it's a serious question, then the questioner is monstrously, embarrassingly, horrifyingly uninformed. If it's not a serious question, then she's a propagandizing charlatan.  Either way, what a dumbass!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@Krieg Well, if it's a serious question, then the questioner is monstrously, embarrassingly, horrifyingly uninformed. If it's not a serious question, then she's a propagandizing charlatan.  Either way, what a dumbass!

I, for one, never cease to be amazed at how much our alleged Estonian knows about obscure American senators and House members and how pro-Russian she claims to be (in contrast to the vast majority of the Estonian population).

 

It's almost Loretta isn't who she claims to be. Isn't that wild?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, back to the matter at hand:

5d11e6036109e_fark_tUzsgLGvVTMX_u7zjMWMu

 

Too bad Conqy is no longer among us - I know he was in favor of baby jails.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Meanwhile, back to the matter at hand:

5d11e6036109e_fark_tUzsgLGvVTMX_u7zjMWMu

 

Too bad Conqy is no longer among us - I know he was in favor of baby jails.

 

Yeah, whatever happened to that guy? It's like he ran off as soon as he realized supporting Trump would be seen as morally indefensible to friends and colleagues.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krieg said:

 

A couple of Machilas are nothing compared to narco-dolares.

 

Perhaps you are unaware of a trade war brewing between the US and China and the reconfiguration of supply chains.    The US has become a bit more isolationist and now that it is energy independent, it can spend less resources on defending deadbeats like Germany and pouring money into keeping shipping lanes safe for the whole world.   

 

Mexico will be a big recipient of the reconfiguration.   

 

Canada has a leader who has problems due to his inability to stop pandering to climate doomsters while trying to integrate his country's energy into the US refining mix.   

 

 

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

I don't even know if this is a serious question.   But in case it is, most drugs enter the US via the sea and, you will be surprised, most of them using the normal US ports.

 

However, violence from the Mexican cartels does indeed spill over into the US.   You might remember an operation callled "Fast and Furious" which involved the DOJ supplying Mexican cartels with guns in order to track them.   Surprisingly, in the age of subpeonas surrounding the Russiagate Hoax, people have forgotten that Obama's AG ignored many subpeonas.  

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The new accusation against Trump of rape in a Bergdorf dressing room was detailed in a New York magazine piece by renowned advice columnist E. Jean Carroll. That accusation “rests upon a significantly stronger foundation than Broaddrick’s,” Conway argues in his piece in The Washington Post

 

Here is the latest accuser on CNN.    She is even flakier than Stormy Daniels and Christine Blasey Ford.   

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

I, for one, never cease to be amazed at how much our alleged Estonian knows about obscure American senators and House members and how pro-Russian she claims to be (in contrast to the vast majority of the Estonian population).

 

Thanks for the kind words.   My work forces me to keep tabs on some of the things happening in the US. 

 

Wolfrun, Hooperski, Krieg, and Janx shouldn't feel bad that you are not more complimentary about their contributions and commentary on US current affairs.  
 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now