Trump's Presidency: Is this the next domino to fall?

5,340 posts in this topic

Apparently yesterday's trumptrum was his way of telegraphing that the plan to run out the clock was like a piece of Swiss cheese - lots of holes in it and what's there stinks.

President Donald Trump is feeling the heat. In a surprise Rose Garden speech on Wednesday, Trump railed against congressional investigations and ongoing efforts by Democrats to examine potential misconduct by the president, his family and his associates. "I respect the courts, I respect Congress, but what they've done is abuse," the president told the press, before going on to say he would refuse to work with Congress until the investigations were concluded.

Although it's useless to speculate about what motivates this particular chief executive, it seems likely that his outburst was influenced by several recent political setbacks. The first was House Speaker Nancy Pelosi saying Trump engaged in a "cover-up." The second was an important legal decision that has clear implications for numerous legal showdowns expected between the executive branch and the legislative branch.

He didn't win on the Deutsche Bank subpoena, either. Are the Trumpies tired of winning yet?

A federal judge in New York rejected President Donald Trump’s request to keep his banks from producing financial records to lawmakers, handing House Democrats a second convincing courtroom win this week in their efforts to delve into the president’s finances.

U.S. District Judge Edgardo Ramos, ruling from the bench on Wednesday, denied Trump’s request for a preliminary injunction, saying that while the president, his family and his business would suffer irreparable harm from disclosure of the records, they were “unlikely to succeed on the merits” with their argument that the congressional subpoenas are improper.

The decision comes two days after U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta in Washington ruled that Congress has the authority to demand records from Trump’s accounting firm, Mazars USA LLP.

The speed and decisiveness of the rulings, by two different judges, signals that Trump may have difficulty blocking Congressional subpoenas -- at least in the lower federal courts. Trump is appealing the Washington ruling and both sides have asked for a quick hearing. Trump is also likely to appeal Wednesday’s decision.

“I don’t do coverups,” announced the man who paid hush money to an adult-film star and who is now fighting legal battles to conceal his tax returns and business records. “I’m the most transparent president, probably, in the history of this country,” he also said.

Here.

Did I mention that TD Bank and Wells Fargo have already given Congress the Trump financial documents that had been subpoenaed?

A key congressional committee has already gained access to President Donald Trump’s dealings with two major financial institutions, two sources familiar with the House probe tell NBC News, as a court ruling Wednesday promised to open the door for even more records to be handed over.

Wells Fargo and TD Bank are the two of nine institutions that have so far complied with subpoenas issued by the House Financial Services Committee demanding information about their dealings with the Trump Organization, according to the sources. The disclosures by these two banks haven’t been previously reported. Both TD Bank and Wells Fargo declined to comment for this story.

Wells Fargo provided the committee with a few thousand documents and TD Bank handed the committee a handful of documents, according to a source who has seen them. The committee, led by Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., is especially interested in the president’s business relationship with Russia and other foreign entities.

Hank Aaron hits number 756 and 757; both of which were located in Trump's pants.

Hall of Fame outfielder Hank Aaron said Friday that he supports athletes who use their platform to speak about social and political issues, adding that he would not visit the White House today if he were part of a championship-winning team.

"There’s nobody there I want to see," Aaron said at a ceremony for the "Hank Aaron Champion for Justice Awards" in Atlanta, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 

"I can understand where the players are coming from. I really do. I understand they have their own issues and things they feel conviction about. They have a right to that, and I probably would be the same way, there’s no question about it."

6 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Maybe I wasn't clear. You are entitled to your opinion and no one can refute how you feel about things because feelings are not up for debate.

It isn‘t a feeling and of course it is up for debate. Otherwise you wouldn’t debate every topic that doesn’t fit into your feelings. 

@A.N.Other Okay, dude, present your facts. So far, you haven't given any. On what facts do you base your opinion that Hilary Clinton belongs to the set of people facing re-election as POTUS, which is obviously the topic of that slide based on the dates?

Who was president May 2011?

Who was president May 2003?

Who was president March 1995?

Who was president February 1991?

Who was president April 1983?

Who was president June 1979?

These are easy questions that a web search can answer for you. 

A better line of reasoning that would have taken a better skill set than whataboutism and non sequitur would have been to state that many of those presidents achieved a second term. This, of course, can be easily dismissed by pointing out the obvious discrepancy between the percentage of people who said they would definitely vote against any of those people and the percentage of people who say they will definitely vote against Trump.

However, this would still mean that everyone missed the overall point which is: LOOK HOW UNPOPULAR THIS GUY IS.

16 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@A.N.Other Okay, dude, present your facts. So far, you haven't given any. On what facts do you base your opinion that Hilary Clinton belongs to the set of people facing re-election as POTUS, which is obviously the topic of that slide based on the dates?

You are now the one comparing apples and oranges, dude. 

I already presented my arguments on why his post is indeed on topic, as it indeed has to do with how wrong polls can be, especially concerning Trump. 

You are the one now setting the parameter that it has to be a current poll, with the current candidates, that we can already presume to be false. How exactly does that work?

23 hours ago, AlexTr said:

D7Kxy5SXoAYwyZL.jpg:large

@A.N.Other I posted this.

I knew everything it stood for and everything it didn't.

There was no valid argument made that any of these polls (and, if you read this slide, SEVEN (7) polls are mentioned) are invalid. There was a statement that ONE poll mentioned here, Quinnipiac, was inacurate, and then the ridiculous addition of Nate Silver, who is not connected to any of these polls, was mentioned as inaccurate. However, historically, everyone knows (that is, everyone who follows polls) that Quinnipiac is one of the most trusted polling groups and is cited by FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and Reuters.

Now, what facts do you have that counter any of that?

21 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

However, this would still mean that everyone missed the overall point which is: LOOK HOW UNPOPULAR THIS GUY IS.

Ok. I‘ll answer your amended post.  

That would require 1) for me to be everyone 

2) for me to have missed that 

and 3) for your poll to be correct, which is exactly what I understand Balticus to be contesting. 

Just now, A.N.Other said:

Ok. I‘ll answer your amended post.  

That would require 1) for me to be everyone 

2) for me to have missed that 

and 3) for your poll to be correct, which exactly what I understand Balticus to be contesting. 

And, as I just said, he contested it with the pitiful example of one error.

2 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

And, as I just said, he contested it with the pitiful example of one error.

which does not make it out of place or off topic. That has been my point. 

3 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

which does not make it out of place or off topic. That has been my point. 

Any mention of Hilary Clinton with regards to that slide is off topic. Your point is not taken.

You keep moving the goal posts. 

First, you need to tell me how Hilary Clinton has anything to do with my slide. Then, you have to justify calling Quinnipiac inaccurate based on one error.

You wanted this discussion. Don't want none. Don't start none.

@A.N.Other Wait. I think I see the problem. Answer this question: Which of the two candidates in the 2016 election was running for a second presidential term?

Paul Manafort is still in prison and taking more people down with him every day.

Stephen Calk has been indicted for bribery. Here's a boom for you. This candyass ought to start rolling over any minute now.

Chicago banker Stephen Calk was charged by federal prosecutors with bribery for seeking a post in the Trump administration in return for $16 million in loans to a senior official in the Trump 2016 presidential campaign.

1500490357_STEVE_CALK

Stephen Calk

Source: The Federal Savings Bank

That official matches the description of former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who received millions of dollars in loans from Federal Savings Bank of Chicago. Manafort isn’t named in court papers unsealed on Thursday.

Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team has said that Calk, age 54, conspired with Manafort to defraud his own bank when he pushed approval of Manafort’s loans in the hopes of winning a senior post in the Trump administration, prosecutors said.

Calk is set to appear in Manhattan federal court later Thursday.

The charge against Calk grew out of Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. As part of that probe, Mueller’s office accused Manafort of lying to three lenders, including Calk’s bank, to obtain $20 million in loans.

In Manafort’s trial last August, a witness testified that Calk expedited approval of two loans to Manafort despite red flags raised by his staff about Manafort’s ability to repay. Calk wanted Manafort to help him land a job in Trump’s administration as Treasury secretary or housing secretary, according to testimony at the Manafort trial by Dennis Raico, a former senior vice president at Federal Savings Bank. Jurors were also told that Calk was also interested in becoming secretary of the Army.

Manafort’s request “didn’t go through the normal process because Mr. Calk was expediting the loan and pushing it through, notwithstanding the red flags,” prosecutor Greg Andres said during Manafort’s trial. “So there was agreement between Mr. Manafort and Mr. Calk to have the loans approved, they were approved, and in turn, Mr. Manafort proposed Mr. Calk for certain positions within the administration.” Calk didn’t receive a position in the administration.

49 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

You wanted this discussion. Don't want none. Don't start none.

Never said I didn’t. It would just be nice if you stopped trying to „move the goalposts „ as you put it. My contention is, and always has been, that Balticus‘ response was on topic. 

Whether or not he provided sufficient evidence is suddenly now your new goalpost.

The only person who has brought Hillary into this is you. Balticus certainly can‘t be held responsible for the fact that her name is present in false predictions of the past. 

Stay on topic, dude

52 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@A.N.Other Wait. I think I see the problem. Answer this question: Which of the two candidates in the 2016 election was running for a second presidential term?

And yet another goalpost. Now we need false predictions from the past concerning a second term candidate. You are unbelievable. 

PS: As stated. I hate Trump and hope he doesn’t win. That has nothing to do with my opinion concerning your statement to Balticus, though. I think you’re just a bully who is used to getting her way with flimsy, yet loud, arguments. Very Trump-like. 

@A.N.Other They're all the same goal post. Compare like to like and hit something between the uprights. Really. You don't need my approval. I don't want yours. Move on. You might want to consider why you need so badly for me to agree with you.

Just now, AlexTr said:

@A.N.Other They're all the same goal post. Compare like to like and hit something between the uprights. Really. You don't need my approval. I don't want yours. Move on. You might want to consider why you need so badly for me to agree with you.

In other words, you have no argument on topic and with foundation. 

I can live with that, but then stop policing the thread.