Trump's Presidency: Is this the next domino to fall?

5,265 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Fromm said:

If so many farmers in the US are really so dependent on shipping soybeans and cows to a tyrant regime, just to earn a buck. then maybe its about time some for of them to learn how to do something else for a living instead of trying to scrape every last dime from the billions of acres of land

Except for the fact that we need those farmers to continue doing what they are doing. 

Agricultural subsidies in the US are not new or exclusive to the Drumpf administration. 

If all the farmers went and found something more lucrative, we’d have to import from China. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Fromm said:

Not really.

What an eloquent, well-thought response. Thank you for your contribution. 

13 hours ago, Fromm said:

US Farmers shouldn't be subsidized at all! No one forced them to make trade with China. If anything they should have saw this coming. China is a despicable country with a horrible record of human rights violations and has no alliance with United States. But the poor and innocent American farmers didn't care about these things and neither did the the American consumer(despite the massive "Buy American" campaign in the late 90's).  

If so many farmers in the US are really so dependent on shipping soybeans and cows to a tyrant regime, just to earn a buck. then maybe its about time some for of them to learn how to do something else for a living instead of trying to scrape every last dime from the billions of acres of land that they probably inherited from great great grandparents. And then we are expected to bail them out when they are unable to do so?  I don't feel sorry for them one bit.

As for the poor and innocent American consumers, to hell with them. They are just a bunch of idiots who pay China to steal their technology and then sell it back to them. If Americans are really that stupid, then yes I hope they will have to pay more. 

Are you suggesting that US businesses should not trade with China at all?   

With respect to agriculture subsidies, they are simply an insurance policy which enables overproduction but guarantees food supply.   A little bit of inefficiency and cost seems minor in comparison to the alternative, i.e. malnutrition or starvation.     

If you think that China was allowed entry into the WTO too early, you are not alone.

This is a decent overview with some links. 

https://www.dlacalle.com/en/nuclear-option-china-has-already-lost-a-possible-trade-war/

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Are you suggesting that US businesses should not trade with China at all?   

With respect to agriculture subsidies, they are simply an insurance policy which enables overproduction but guarantees food supply.   A little bit of inefficiency and cost seems minor in comparison to the alternative, i.e. malnutrition or starvation.     

If you think that China was allowed entry into the WTO too early, you are not alone.

This is a decent overview with some links. 

https://www.dlacalle.com/en/nuclear-option-china-has-already-lost-a-possible-trade-war/

b.alt.icus is making sense.   What's happening here?

27 minutes ago, Krieg said:

b.alt.icus is making sense.   What's happening here?

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Gee, you don't say? Federal judge seems to side with Democrats in their fight to get Trump’s financial records

A federal judge on Tuesday said financial records from U.S. President Donald Trump’s long-time accounting firm would be part of a “proper subject of investigation” by Congress, appearing to side with Democratic lawmakers seeking more oversight of the president.

U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta in Washington heard oral arguments on whether Mazars must comply with a House of Representatives Oversight Committee subpoena, marking the first time a federal court has waded into the tussle about how far Congress can go in probing Trump and his business affairs.

As arguments began, a lawyer for Trump, William Consovoy, asserted that the Democrats’ subpoena fell outside of Congress’ legislative function.

“They have made clear that this is not about legislation. They want to know if there has been any wrongdoing,” Consovoy said. “That is not the purpose of Congress.”

Mehta disputed that, saying Congress could legitimately investigate whether Trump is complying with the U.S. Constitution’s Emoluments Clause, which bars Trump-owned businesses from receiving payments from foreign governments.

“That would be a proper subject of investigation,” the judge said.

Mehta said that under Consovoy’s argument, many historic investigations by Congress would have been improper, including the probe into the Watergate scandal that forced President Richard Nixon from office.

The judge said that he would issue a ruling as to the validity of the subpoena at a later date.

“My decision will be issued promptly, but it will be issued on a timeline that reflects the gravity of the issues presented,” he said.

Just when you thought he couldn't sink any lower...

Trump-Russia probe: Barr assigns prosecutor to review inquiry

US Attorney General William Barr has assigned a senior federal prosecutor to examine the origins of the Russia investigation.

John Durham, the US attorney in Connecticut, has reportedly been asked to determine whether the collection of intelligence on the Trump campaign was lawful.

Gorgeous Polly outlines exactly the doctrines which you must adhere to to be "in":

On 14.5.2019, 17:33:06, Fromm said:

US Farmers shouldn't be subsidized at all! No one forced them to make trade with China. If anything they should have saw this coming.

Wtf? Nobody saw Trump coming!

China is a despicable country with a horrible record of human rights violations and has no alliance with United States.

Horrible country? Have you ever been there? Do you have any idea on why people there don´t give a shit about freedom of speech?

If so many farmers in the US are really so dependent on shipping soybeans and cows to a tyrant regime,

You really have no clue on what China is...

I do not know much about politics.

If Trump is so bad, he will not be elected second time, and he has only one more year left to make any bad influence.

So why bother?

30 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

You could have stopped right there...

I said I do not know much, and I did not say I know nothing.

So logically, I can speak no much, and I do not need to speak nothing, completely silent!

42 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

I said I do not know much, and I did not say I know nothing.

So logically, I can speak no much, and I do not need to speak nothing, completely silent!

Never in the history of humankind have so many words been typed by someone who has so few. By someone who claims to know so much and, at the same time, so little. Someone who has been so loud, yet claims to be silent.

If the world ends tomorrow, so be it, because we have reached the pinnacle of self-unawareness.

My dog would have a field day with all these socks.

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

why bother?

Sounds like...privilege.