Trump's Presidency: Is this the next domino to fall?

7,155 posts in this topic

Oh dear...

 

 

Comey Report out in 2 weeks. 

 

Adm. Rogers of the NSA is a hero.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

Deutsche Bank has begun to provide documents on financing for some of President Donald Trump's projects to New York State authorities, a source familiar with the matter told AFP on Wednesday.

In mid-March, New York Attorney General Letitia James subpoenaed the German bank, demanding records related to loans and lines of credit granted to the Trump Organization.

The money was intended to finance projects such as Trump hotels in Washington, DC, Miami and Chicago, another source told AFP last month on the condition of anonymity.

It was unclear whether Deutsche Bank had provided all the documents requested.

"We remain committed to cooperating with authorized investigations," a bank spokesman told AFP, while declining to comment on a CNN report that the company was handing over the documents.

James' office also declined to comment on the status of the documents regarding financing for the Trump Organization, the holding company that has been run by Trump's sons Eric and Donald Trump Jr since he entered the White House.

New York authorities also wanted records related to the Trump Organization's failed attempt in 2014 to buy the Buffalo Bills football team, the source said on condition of anonymity.

James demanded the information from Deutsche Bank after Trump's former personal attorney Michael Cohen testified before Congress, saying among other things that Trump wildly inflated his net worth in order to secure loans from Deutsche Bank.

Deutsche Bank was one of the few major banks to continue to lend to Trump following the bankruptcies of his casinos and other businesses in the 1990s. The German bank in recent years has loaned Trump more than $300 million.

That put the bank at the center of investigations and congressional scrutiny.

When opposition Democrats took control of the House of Representatives in January, they sought information on interest rates granted to the Trump Organization, as well as details on a huge Russian money laundering case that earned Deutsche Bank a $630 million fine in January 2017.

 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

Former Vice President Joe Biden announced his 2020 presidential bid on Thursday morning with a video warning that four more years of President Trump would “forever and fundamentally alter the character of this nation.”

Trump responded in a tweet.

“Welcome to the race Sleepy Joe,” the president wrote. “I only hope you have the intelligence, long in doubt, to wage a successful primary campaign. It will be nasty — you will be dealing with people who truly have some very sick & demented ideas. But if you make it, I will see you at the Starting Gate!”...

 

the rest

The name calling is just so juvenile but I guess his supporters approve.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The name calling is just so juvenile but I guess his supporters approve.

 

Approve? They aren't intellectually capable of doing any better themselves. They think that's what makes him great - so many not-so-clever zingers. Pathetic.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even one person at Fox News gets it -

 

 

Quote

 

Fox News senior judicial analyst Andrew Napolitano fired off one of his sharpest critiques yet of President Donald Trump based on allegations outlined in special counsel Robert Mueller’s report. 

In a column on the Fox News website and in an accompanying video, Napolitano lit into Trump’s claim that he was exonerated by the Mueller report. 

“Mueller laid out at least a half-dozen crimes of obstruction committed by Trump,” Napolitano wrote, and listed them:  

“Why not charge him?” Napolitano asked in his video. “Because the attorney general of the United States would’ve blocked such a charge.”

Before the report’s release, Attorney General William Barr said last month that Trump did not obstruct justice based on the information Mueller’s team laid out in the report. 

However, Napolitano said, Barr used an extremely narrow definition of obstruction that’s at odds with “the nearly universal view of law enforcement.”

Barr, he said, is wrong ― and added that obstruction as a crime is almost never completed and doesn’t have to be successful to lead to criminal charges. A redacted copy of Mueller’s report showed that reported attempts to hamper the Russia investigation were thwarted by aides who did not fulfill Trump’s requests.

Now, Napolitano said, it’s up to House Democrats to decide if they should impeach Trump ― but noted that they might be looking at how Republicans suffered politically during the impeachment of President Bill Clinton.  

“I’m disappointed in the behavior of the president,” Napolitano said in his video. “His job is to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States to uphold and enforce federal law. Not to violate it.” 

He said if Trump violated the law to save a life, he could have a moral defense.

“But ordering obstruction to save himself from the consequences of his own behavior is unlawful, defenseless and condemnable,” he wrote on the website.  

Read his full column and watch the video here. 

 

 

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

The Democratic chairman of the House Oversight Committee accused the Trump administration of a "massive, unprecedented, and growing pattern of obstruction" for ordering federal employees not to comply with congressional investigations.

"Both President Trump and Attorney General Barr are now openly ordering federal employees to ignore congressional subpoenas and simply not show up - without any assertion of a valid legal privilege," U.S. Representative Elijah Cummings said in a statement.

The Justice Department on Wednesday rebuffed the House Oversight and Reform Committee, which had sought to interview an official involved in the Trump administration's decision to put a citizenship question on the 2020 U.S. Census.

The department said John Gore, a deputy assistant attorney general in the Civil Rights Division, would not participate in a deposition scheduled for Thursday if he could not have a Justice Department lawyer at his side. The committee had offered to allow a lawyer to sit in a different room.

Cummings said the subpoena issued to Gore was adopted on a bipartisan basis and that there was no privilege asserted by the White House or Justice Department that would preclude him from appearing.

"This is a massive, unprecedented, and growing pattern of obstruction," Cummings said, warning the federal employees to "think very carefully about their own legal interests" in refusing to comply with the panel's requests.

 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I saw that report of the Fox News opinion contributor in the Guardian this morning. Curiously, no mention yet on either NYT, slate or lawfareblog. Are they still trying to figure out how Murdoch could have approved this?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're likely just following longstanding policies of not giving that outlet, a regular purveyor of lies and disinformation, air.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump withdraws from UN Arms Trade Treaty

 

 

Quote

 

Donald Trump’s decision to pull the United States from the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty could lead the country into future foreign wars and exacerbate the immigration crisis at the southern border with Mexico, critics have claimed.

Speaking at the annual convention of the National Rifle Association (NRA) in Indianapolis, the president said he was withdrawing US support from the accord because it gave a degree of US sovereignty to other countries.

But some critics decried the move, saying it would create more problems, rather than solve them.

“If you look at it downstream, I think it creates real risk that the we are drawn into conflicts that are filled with guns manufactured and sold in the United States to these entities,” Kris Brown, the president of the national gun safety group Brady, told The Independent.

Ms Brown explained the UN Arms Trade Treaty was designed to forbid the sale of firearms to dangerous foreign actors and human rights abusers, and that the deal was supported by 100 countries across the world, including America’s European allies.

Pulling out of the deal essentially allows the sale of US firearms to foreign actors, which could then be used in wars that threaten American interests abroad, and then pull the US into those conflicts.

“We’ve seen this movie before many times over,” Ms Brown said.

During his speech on Friday, the president said that he decided to remove America’s signature from the treaty because he believed the deal hands over some sovereignty to foreign decision makers.

That announcement represented a major policy victory to the NRA, which broke its own record for campaign spending to support the former reality television star in 2016.

“We will never allow foreign bureaucrats to trample on your Second Amendment freedom,” Mr Trump said. “I’m officially announcing today that the United States will be revoking the effect of America’s signature from this badly misguided treaty.”

 

 

the rest

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's this -

 

Quote

 

President Donald Trump approved payment of a $2 million bill presented by North Korea to cover its care of comatose American Otto Warmbier, a college student who died shortly after being returned home from 17 months in a North Korean prison, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

The Post said an invoice was handed to State Department envoy Joseph Yun hours before Warmbier, 22, was flown out of Pyongyang in a coma on June 13, 2017. Warmbier died six days later.

The U.S. envoy, who was sent to retrieve Warmbier, signed an agreement to pay the medical bill on instructions passed down from Trump, the Post reported, citing two unidentified people familiar with the situation.

"We do not comment on hostage negotiations, which is why they have been so successful during this administration," White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told Reuters.

Yun also told Reuters he could not comment on diplomatic exchanges. But in an interview with CNN on Thursday, he said he was given broad orders to secure Warmbier's release and he understood the instructions came directly from Trump.

"Yes, my orders were completely: do whatever you can to get Otto back," he told CNN. Yun said he understood that money had been exchanged in previous releases of U.S. prisoners and was justified as "hospital costs," but he gave no further details.

Representatives for the State Department did not respond to a request for comment.

 

 

And then there's this-

 

 

Quote

 

A report Kim Jong Un demanded from the U.S. and President Donald Trump approved $2M for hospitalization costs of Otto Warmbier weighed on Trump Friday morning. He took to Twitter:

No money was paid to North Korea for Otto Warmbier, not two Million dollars, not anything else. This is not the Obama Administration that paid 1.8 Billion Dollars for four hostages, or gave five terrorist hostages plus, who soon went back to battle, for traitor Sgt. Bergdah!

“President Donald J. Trump is the greatest hostage negotiator that I know of in the history of the United States. 20 hostages, many in impossible circumstances, have been released in last two years! No money was paid.” Cheif Hostage Negotiator, USA!

 

 
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

President Donald Trump opened a fresh line of attack Friday against his leading White House rival Joe Biden, saying the 76-year-old Democrat is "making me look very young" and vibrant by comparison.

"I'm the youngest person. I am a young, vibrant man," a smiling Trump, age 72, told reporters at the White House when asked how old is too old to serve as commander in chief.

"I look at Joe, I don't know about him," he said of Biden, who launched his 2020 presidential bid Thursday with direct attacks on Trump's character and controversial performance in office.

"I would never say anyone is too old, but I know they're all making me look very young both in terms of age and I think in terms of energy."

When Trump was asked how he would beat Biden, whose working-class appeal could help him win back states like Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin that Trump snatched from Democrats in 2016, the president was succinct: "I think we beat him easily."

Trump is the oldest-ever US president, but he is three and a half years younger than Biden, who is leading the crowded Democratic field of candidates seeking the party's nomination next year.

The president is also five years younger than Bernie Sanders, the US senator who is second in polling for the Democratic nomination.

Of the 20 Democrats in the running, 10 are under age 50. Three of those are half Biden's age or younger.

Despite Trump's assertions of youthful vigor and health, he does have a weight problem.

In February, Trump was declared healthy by his doctor.

The lifelong real estate dealer has confounded health experts with his penchant for junk food and avoidance of strenuous exercise. He weighs 243 pounds (110 kg), his doctor said after an annual examination, which would put him in the category of mildly obese.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The lifelong real estate dealer has confounded health experts with his penchant for junk food and avoidance of strenuous exercise. He weighs 243 pounds (110 kg), his doctor said after an annual examination, which would put him in the category of mildly obese.

243 pounds in his left ass cheek maybe.

 

fat_pos.jpg.c7aebe5bc84e1828680aaec12288

The guy's gut is so big he can't even keep his back straight in his riser shoes. He weighs 300 easily, if not 350.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought about the what made you laugh today thread but it  fits better here

 

rgu0yjy974921.jpg.6e66a35e74e86e19e35911

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In before excretus drops another load and tells everyone to calm down and stop suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome again.

 

5cc43cc430c15_fark_1VfDqIlEhIZRWu3EB7L37

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the meantime, the Trump team orchestrated a human rights atrocity that We The People will be unraveling for years to come. Thankfully, per usual, the courts have stepped in to tell Mango Mussolini et. al. that they have to put some fire under their britches. (If your instinct is to parse the words "human rights atrocity," you're on the wrong side of this. You think about that.)

 

Quote

A federal judge in California gave the Trump administration six months to identify potentially thousands of additional migrant families separated before the controversial "zero tolerance" immigration enforcement policy officially went into effect.

U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw last summer ordered the government to reunify more than 2,800 children who were separated from their parents after crossing the southern border, a policy that drew widespread criticism and was ultimately reversed by President Donald Trump.
 

But, at the time Sabraw issued his order, it was not publicly known that the administration had secretly run a pilot project in Texas during the previous year where thousands more families may have been separated. After the Department of Health and Human Services Inspector General released a report showing the extent of the pilot project, Sabraw ruled in March that those families were also part of the ongoing class-action lawsuit.
 

Justice Department attorneys argued finding that many family separations would require officials in multiple federal agencies to pore through every case file of migrant children who passed through their care because there was no electronic database tracking the separated families. All that work, Justice argued, could take up to two years.
 

ACLU attorneys blasted that request, arguing the government was able to work far more quickly to identify — and reunify — the first round of separated families. They estimated the work could be completed in three months.
 

"It’s not rocket science," ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt said during a court hearing last week. "You flip through the pages and you can easily find whether there was separation or not within minutes."

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

In the meantime, the Trump team orchestrated a human rights atrocity that We The People will be unraveling for years to come. Thankfully, per usual, the courts have stepped in to tell Mango Mussolini et. al. that they have to put some fire under their britches. (If your instinct is to parse the words "human rights atrocity," you're on the wrong side of this. You think about that.)

 

 

 

Ever since I found out the ACLU defended the "right" to distribute child pornography...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fromm said:

 

Ever since I found out the ACLU defended the "right" to distribute child pornography...

 

Well, that's a new one for me. How's about a link there, bud?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.