Used Car and the obligated warranty for brakes or brake discs

4 posts in this topic

I searched for this particular topic but found more serious posts about Heat Core, Clutch, and other more severe problems.  I believe I already know the answer to my question but I wanted to check with the TT knowledge base.  

5 Months ago I financed a 2013 Chevrolet Orlando with 78,000km, I have since put 12,000km on it.  I do not drive it hard, just very often.  A few days ago, the left wheel started to squeak in the mornings which is a sign to check/replace brake pads.  However this morning, the right front wheel is screeching even louder and when I brake it sounds like metal on metal.  I already assume my Dealership is going to stay this is "verschleißteile" and my responsibility... My question is whether there is anyone out there in TT that is knowledgeable about pleading my case.   When I took it to the werkstatt this morning, he said it sounded like the brake disc might also be defekt, however he was unable to look at it for the next three weeks.  I will take it to other garages for a costenvorschlag. 

I agree that the breaks are going to wear out in time but 5 months to this degree doesnt seem "normal".

Ray

It is your responsibility to regularly check the break pads for wear, and to take measure when they're getting close to be dead. If you would have detected that and talked to the seller, there might have been a chance that the seller replaced them... However, now that you've continued driving that car even though there were noises coming from the breaks, it is you who ruined the brake discs... Steel on steel...

I mean, you did hear noises coming from the left, continued to drive, and now there are noises coming from the right. Come on, who continues to drive a car in a situation like that?

And how are you going to take it to another garage? You're not really contemplating to drive this shit box on public roads?

Just now, franklan said:

It is your responsibility to regularly check the brake pads for wear, and to take measure when they're getting close to be dead. If you would have detected that and talked to the seller before they're completely down, there might have been a chance that the seller replaced them... However, now that you've continued driving that car even though there were noises coming from the brakes, it is you who ruined the brake discs... Steel on steel...

I mean, you did hear noises coming from the left, continued to drive, and now there are noises coming from the right. Come on, who continues to drive a car in a situation like that?

And how are you going to take it to another garage? You're not really contemplating to drive this shit box on public roads?

Hi Ray

I was just about to respond when your PM arrived informing me that you'd already read some of my previous posts on the theme so, since you've probably also read about my qualifications I'll spare myself the effoert of repeating them.

Unfortunately, to be blunt, I think you have zero chance of success in making any claim against the seller if the problem is to do with wear and tear to either or both the brake pads or brake discs.

Whilst I appreciate that driving 12000km over 5 months does not constitute excesssve use per se the fact remains that the car, and possibly the original brake pads, already had already accumulated 78000km of wear and tear. Furthermore there is no possible technical method of proving that any brake pad or disc associated defect existed at the time of purchase.

Squeaking or even squealing may also be caused by an excessive build-up of brake pad dust or loose fitting pads, both of which can be due to either hard usage of the brakes or excess wear of the pads. Cars with automatic transmissions tend to be subjected to about 50% faster rates of wear and tear of brake pads and discs by comparison with manual transmission models driven over the same distances.

If your wheels are of a type where you can see the discs look or feel with your fingertips for any grooving which might indicate excessive pad wear. 'Blueing' or darkening of the metal discs is also a sure sign of their having been overheated in service due to hard braking.

WARNING:

If your brakes have worn out to the point of metal to metal contact then you have NO effective brakes at all!

You should not drive a vehicle in such condition anywhere on the public roads since, apart from the actual danger and legal risks, your insurers could sue you to recover any sums of money they were obliged to pay to 3rd parties under your current policy's coverage. 

In that situation I would not wait for an appointment nor worry as much about which is the cheapest rather than the quickest workshop to have the repairs carried out.

Stay safe on the roads, Ray!

2B

ETA: @franklan 'shit box' is a bit harsh, don't you think?:lol: