Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Munich court: sick guide dog no reason to cancel vacation

5 posts in this topic

Another verdict in support of insurance mafia in Germany: you buy travel cancellation insurance and believe it will pay if something happens and you cannot travel. No, it will not.

A blind guy's guide dog fell sick and was unfit to fly. The guy obviously could not fly to Spain without his dog, so he applied to insurance to compensate for lost travel cost. Insurance refused, Munich court said it was ok since there was nothing about guide dogs in their AGB.

Due to German Datenschutz media are not allowed to name the insurance company.

http://www.br.de/nachrichten/oberbayern/inhalt/blindenhund-krank-reiseruecktritt-100.html

@yourkeau - I remember you were very much in favour of allways buying insurance against all financial odds. Buying incurance for every little thing such as cancelling a trip is a waste of money even if you discount the possibility of the insurance trying to wiggle out of it. The administrative costs for such small risks are way too high for this to make any sense at all for the customer.

I'm sure this will be overturned on appeal. A local court is only able to rule based on the actual fine print. It can't take things like civil rights or the special rights of the permanently disabled into account. That's a matter for a higher court.

LaChamois: Well, CDW insurance for a van (something you have not much experience to drive) you link to is not a little thing, but, yes, it also has small print. Flat tire is not covered, AFAIK, but totaling the car is (if you were not drunk). So, paying for CDW makes sense (with big Selbstbeteiligung) because there are accidents you can't prevent, and having to pay for the whole car price is no good. 

In this case it was insurance against 1000 euro travel costs, and it is useless.

4 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

It can't take things like civil rights or the special rights of the permanently disabled into account. That's a matter for a higher court.

(my amateur speculation, not legal professional)

Well, it can but only if discrimination is claimed by an applicant. In this case I smell bad lawyer who only brought the case over insurance conditions, while didn't raise the issue over Art.3 Absatz 3 GG.