Unique Blue Card Situation -- Need Help

19 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! 

I have a unique, and potentially problematic situation.

I am an American with a Blue Card. It is linked to my old job, that I left back in April. I started a new job on April 20th, and immediately scheduled an appointment with the Ausländerbehörde; the earliest one was June 20th. I missed it because I was very ill, and rescheduled -- the earliest was August 1st. 

Since then, I've found a new job and am going to leave this one at the the end of this month -- but I never had transferred my employment on my Blue Card to this one during my time working here.

My question: 

1. Is this a huge issue? 

2. Will I still need to register for this job before transferring to the new place of employment?

Any help you can provide in terms of what to expect will be sincerely appreciated.

Best,
Karl Ryan

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Why not!?!?!

presumably as he has not attended his appointment with them yet (originally June, then rescheduled for August)?

Still doesn't sound good.

GO TO YOUR APPOINTMENT!  And take any evidence that you at  least made the appointments (on time!) with you.

ETA:  I'm not a lawyer either

IMHO, it is also possible to go without Appointment (That's the case in Mannheim). But who knows, Berlin's Amt is quite special for this (been there, done that). I would say, try to call them and explain the situation.

It is very complicatd in Berlin. If you want to go without appointment you have to go there and queue up at 2 am. If you want to talk to someone over the phone it becomes a mission impossible movie, the phones are now just automatic messages that send you to find what you want yourself on their website. Maybe you can try sending them an email, that's the thing what have worked the best when I had to contact them.

Is it that crazy? Last time I went there, was 2014, and I arrived at 6am, I was maybe the 10th person there and once the doors were opened I just went to the office according to the country and last name. In the time I waited (maybe extra 30 min, there was probably other 2 guys.

But yes, the queue is a weird experience, Women were trying to get to the front of the line, saying that they had appointments and/or they needed to go inside first to go do something else...crazy! 

On ‎17‎.‎07‎.‎2017‎ ‎11‎:‎00‎:‎31, karlryan said:

I am an American with a Blue Card. It is linked to my old job, that I left back in April. I started a new job on April 20th, and immediately scheduled an appointment with the Ausländerbehörde; the earliest one was June 20th. I missed it because I was very ill, and rescheduled -- the earliest was August 1st. 

§ 19a Abs. 4 AufenthG: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/aufenthg_2004/__19a.html

"(4) Für jeden Arbeitsplatzwechsel eines Inhabers einer Blauen Karte EU ist in den ersten zwei Jahren der Beschäftigung die Erlaubnis durch die Ausländerbehörde erforderlich; die Erlaubnis wird erteilt, wenn die Voraussetzungen nach Absatz 1 vorliegen."

How long did your first employment last? Less than 2 years? If that's true, you're in trouble as you weren't allowed to start a new employment without permission...

What's the expiry date on your blue card?  

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

It is very complicatd in Berlin. 

That is still not excuse the OP from working 3 months without a work permit!

Before he started his new job he should have gone to the ABH to have his permit changed. It is also possible to go about two hours after they open with all docs to bypass the masses and they'll usually either process a Blue Card on the spot or give an appointment (not recommended for freelancers and other not necessarily clear cut applications). If he didn't want to wait in line he could have hired a lawyer to apply for it (as long as the position is over the limit it is a very easy administrative change). Someone with a Blue Card cannot claim he can't afford a lawyer either.

I'd just like to point out to anyone else with a Blue Card looking for advice that it is not worth risking being deported for violating immigration laws when the Blue Card is so easy (with a recognised degree and a 50k+) salary to obtain.

9 minutes ago, engelchen said:

If he didn't want to wait in line he could have hired a lawyer to apply for it (as long as the position is over the limit it is a very easy administrative change). Someone with a Blue Card cannot claim he can't afford a lawyer either.

Another possibility (Well, it was a possibility three month ago): Write (and send) a letter. You know, that thing with a stamp on it, that goes into those yellow boxes.

15 minutes ago, engelchen said:

If he didn't want to wait in line he could have hired a lawyer to apply for it (as long as the position is over the limit it is a very easy administrative change). Someone with a Blue Card cannot claim he can't afford a lawyer either.

Just wanted to point out that you don't necessarily need a lawyer--I recently changed my blue card because of a new passport and some other changes, and used a "blue card consultant" who is not a lawyer but who does this stuff all the time, knows the system, and is cheaper than a lawyer.  They basically told me what was required, set up the appointments, and generally dropped off and picked up documents (although sometimes I had to go in person).

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

Before he started his new job he should have gone to the ABH to have his permit changed. It is also possible to go about two hours after they open with all docs to bypass the masses and they'll usually either process a Blue Card on the spot or give an appointment (not recommended for freelancers and other not necessarily clear cut applications).

I don't have experience at the Berlin ABH but in Munich it most definitely works like this.  Yes you CAN make an appointment online or with one of the people in the office, but they will often tell you "the next appointment is in 6 weeks, but if you come back on monday or tuesday around 10:00 you should not have to wait very long".  Or something similar.  Maybe you wait, maybe you don't, but it does get done.  Often they just do updates on the spot at the reception/information area, no additional visit needed.

But I wonder (in case it helps someone) does Berlin have a special office for bluecard/highly qualified immigrants?  They added that in Munich in the last couple of years and it's stupid quick to get in and out now.  My Dauernaufenhaltstitel took 30 minutes start to finish, with no appointment.

On 18/07/2017, 14:20:00, engelchen said:

@engelchen your fear mongering/nit picking at my situation was 100% useless. Please, please don't just bang on your keyboard if you don't have anything constructive to say!

Everyone in the thread -- it turned out to be an absolute non-issue. I have a residence permit for employment, not a blue card (I thought I did for some reason). If you need to change your employer, I found this on the Ausländerbehörde site: https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/326856/standort/327437/en/

You can move to another skilled employment without prior approval, according to the link. Anyways, I've had my appointment and again, it was fine.

1 hour ago, karlryan said:

@engelchen your fear mongering/nit picking at my situation was 100% useless. Please, please don't just bang on your keyboard if you don't have anything constructive to say!

I have a residence permit for employment, not a blue card (I thought I did for some reason).

I guess your reason was just stupidity, huh?  That's no reason to complain to engelchen who always gives good advice here.  Damn Amurikans !!

Askhole

Someone who consistently abuses internet fora and discussion boards to post stupid questions a quick google search could have easily answered.

Usually withholds relevant information so that even posters trying to help cannot really solve his problem adequately.

Utterly disgraceful and quick to insult anyone who refers him to google or other sources.

(Source)

And actually this is a new change, not sure when they introduced it. Probably trying to help with the current overload of the LABO (Berlin's AB). Indeed in former time you had to go there and get your permit updated, but no more.

Thank you for bringing this new information that benefits future posters, even if you do not deserve any gratitude because of your a**holish behavior.