Need advice on how to buy a car for one year in Munich

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

We are moving to Munich for one year and want to have a car but do not want to go through the hassle of first buying and then selling in such a short time. Does anyone have advice on places to lease a car for one year (It doesnt have to be new) or some way to easily buy/sell a car without too much effort (maybe a dealer that does this?). 

Why do you need a car for the whole time in Munich?

Public transport is excellent so for day to day getting around you don't need a car, then if you want to go on trips to the mountains or surrounding areas you can hire one for those weekends.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! We are a family of 5 and want to try and get out of the city a lot! Maybe every weekend (OK, that might be a tad optimistic...). Dealing with renting a car and going to pick it up every single weekend will be tiring...we want to really take advantage of this year to explore Germany and hike ...

Just use Car2Go or other car sharing scheme. I always have one or two within 300m from my house. Just book it online and it will show you the closest car.

Thanks! This is an awesome  idea! I looked quite a lot at their website and they say that the maximum duration for rental is 24 hours. Have you ever rented them for an entire weekend? 3 days? is this possible?

there are so many car sharing schemes...check stattauto.  They used to offer multi-day rentals and I imagine they still do.

you might really be surprised regarding the public transport options though.  With DB, Bayerische Oberlandbahn, and the others, and maybe a bus in the worst case at your destination, you can go quite far without a car.  You can definitely "get out of the city" and find hiking destinations with little problem.  

ragarding car2go, not sure what the problem is with them either, if you just want to go for the weekend:

How long can I keep the car?

Need a weekend getaway? No problem. However, car2go isn't meant for long-term exploring - there's a 3 day max on how long you keep the car on one trip. There's also a 150 mile / 200 km limit per day.

Thanks! I think that between the statauto and car2go we can manage really well! Thank you all for this great advice!

If you want to go outside the city you'll probably want to go with Staatauto, it is very convenient if you have a station near your place. Contrary to other car sharing companies, with this one you need to pick up and return the car to the same station.

Car2go and DriveNow are more useful for inner city journeys, or around the neighbor region. Much more flexible but more expensive price per kilometer.

Sixt neuwagen leasing have a minimum of 30 months leases. They also have a selection of immediately available cars (most leasing places seem to have a pretty long lead time on new cars). 

You can buy a car in one day from a dealer, then sell it on the spot at somewhere like wirkaufendeinauto.de. Even if you bring back the identical car though, the dealer has to make a margin, so expect to lose something like 30% of the value of the car. 

When I lived in France for a year I used Eurodrive. If you are coming from outside the EU, that could be an option for you too, although I think it was the student rates that made it attractive.  http://www.renaultusa.com/FAQ.asp

The Buchbinder long term rentals and the Dealerships are both great ideas - thank! we are looking into all the options now.

11 hours ago, Sampa said:

Sixt neuwagen leasing have a minimum of 30 months leases. They also have a selection of immediately available cars (most leasing places seem to have a pretty long lead time on new cars). 

You can buy a car in one day from a dealer, then sell it on the spot at somewhere like wirkaufendeinauto.de. Even if you bring back the identical car though, the dealer has to make a margin, so expect to lose something like 30% of the value of the car. 

When I lived in France for a year I used Eurodrive. If you are coming from outside the EU, that could be an option for you too, although I think it was the student rates that made it attractive.  http://www.renaultusa.com/FAQ.asp

This is also a great option. I met an an Australian once who did this with Renault. The key is, that you have to register and arrange before leaving your home country. In Germany, you pick the car at a dealership and will have temporary license plates. Munichschu, this may be better than renting from a third party. Don't forget about insurance when comparing costs.

Just buy a car that you can resell easily, something like a second hand VW Golf, depending on the age of the kids it could be big enough.

Car-sharing when you have small kids is a hassle, if your kids are under 12 years old you will need either kid seats or at least boosters. You won't be able to just jump into the car and go. Even taking a taxi with small kids is a hassle.

Big cities in Germany have pretty good public transportantion, but do not buy the "You do not need a car in [insert city here]", I myself didn't have a car the first 8 years I lived in Berlin and then I've got one when I've got kids because things got complicated and a car really made life easier. Then I realized what I was missing by relying on public transportantion and sporadic weekend rentals.

When doing the calculations, it's easy to forget that you actually need to park the

car for 90% of the time.

Forget the cost of parking, you'll actually have to find a parking space !

Public transport is a very useful service in Munich.

I would go for car sharing. You book it when you need it. There are many of them active in Munich, good ones and not so good ones.

The german auto club ADAC has an overview on their homepage, but only in german language:

www.adac.de/carsharing-test

Also worth a visit:

www.carsharing-news.de/carsharing-muenchen

12 hours ago, Krieg said:

Big cities in Germany have pretty good public transportantion, but do not buy the "You do not need a car in [insert city here]", I myself didn't have a car the first 8 years I lived in Berlin and then I've got one when I've got kids because things got complicated and a car really made life easier. Then I realized what I was missing by relying on public transportantion and sporadic weekend rentals.

Fair enough if you're talking about Berlin, but Munich is not Berlin.  I can literally walk 5 blocks, hop on the BOB and in an hour max I'm in Lenggries.  Or Schliersee.  Or Tegernsee.  Or any number of other crazy beautiful, ideallic landscapes with plenty of nice hiking trails right there, or a short bus ride away.  It only takes a small bit of extra effort and time to land in Garmisch or Mittenwald or similar.  3 hours to Tyrol.  

I have a car but almost always opt for trains as the traffic is often not really fun.  I use my car for work or the occasional trip to IKEA.

11 hours ago, lisa13 said:

Fair enough if you're talking about Berlin, but Munich is not Berlin.  I can literally walk 5 blocks, hop on the BOB and in an hour max I'm in Lenggries.  Or Schliersee.  Or Tegernsee.  Or any number of other crazy beautiful, ideallic landscapes with plenty of nice hiking trails right there, or a short bus ride away.  It only takes a small bit of extra effort and time to land in Garmisch or Mittenwald or similar.  3 hours to Tyrol.  

I have a car but almost always opt for trains as the traffic is often not really fun.  I use my car for work or the occasional trip to IKEA.

I am not sure if you visited Berlin, but the public transportation here is quite good.   Most times you do not have to walk more than 2 blocks to find some sort of public transportation and there is public transportation 24 hours a day (quite amazing these days, because the main train lines actually run 24h, not like in the past that they were replaced by night buses that came every 30 minutes).  

Anyway, that's not the point.   They have 3 kids, of course you can live without a car, but a car will make life much easier, you do not have to use it all the time, but it is pretty useful not only for IKEA trips.   

My whole point is that "You do not need a car in [insert city here]" is really not the best thing to tell a newcomer.  Yes, it is probably true for a single person, but not for everyone.   For a family the best approach is probably a combination of a family car and public transportation.

P.S., I like how some people we know are very militant about "You do not need a car" but then ask us for rides quite often.

What about your driving licence?

I don't think you've said where you're from, so do you have an EU licence or if The States then are you from one of the states which has a reciprocal agreement? If so, then I believe you can only drive on your USA licence for 6 months before having to exchange it for a German one. Then of course there'll be the hassle of changing back when you go home.