Anyone with an experience of Autism in Hamburg Area?

6 posts in this topic

Hello

We are considering moving to Hamburg, my husband has been offered a job.  However, whether or not we take the job depends on what services and schooling we can find for my Autistic son.  He is 8, verbal and gets one to one support in his current school.  He does struggle in a mainstream environment and will need to learn in English.  Does anyone have any experience of the support groups and schooling that we might find in Hamburg?  Many thanks

I can't really help much with your decision but I am sure someone will jump in with some useful comments and experiences. I can only tell you that if your child cannot be mainstreamed (and if he doesn't speak German, I don't see how he could be, at least at first) I'd do some serious research before moving to Hamburg. Forderschulen in Germany do not exactly enjoy a very good reputation. They tend to lump everyone with special needs together and cater to the lowest denominator. Your child might have average or even above average intelligence but the Forderschule will treat him the same as a child with learning disability, therefore not developing any talents that he might have.

I have no direct experience of Forderschulen, only hearsay, especially from deaf and hard-of-hearing adults who attended them and have nothing good to say about them. My impression is that Forderschulen do a good job of turning children with disabilities into adults who are employable at some level, which is a good thing, but they neglect the intellectual and cultural development, or rather, lower their standards to the slowest learner in the class.

I don't know what the situation is in London, maybe it's not ideal there either. You'll really need to compare.

Good luck!

I also don't have any experience but here is an article about a recent court case in Hamburg about the right of child with autism to attend regular school.  His experiences in school  is not hugely encouraging, but perhaps, at least, things are improving here with more inclusion.

https://www.welt.de/regionales/hamburg/article164332749/Warum-ein-Autist-immer-noch-nicht-zur-Schule-darf.html

4 hours ago, soppov said:

We are considering moving to Hamburg, my husband has been offered a job.  However, whether or not we take the job depends on what services and schooling we can find for my Autistic son.  He is 8, verbal and gets one to one support in his current school.  He does struggle in a mainstream environment and will need to learn in English. 

The only group of children that the German school system systematically fails more than the children of immigrants are children with special needs. Your child will have difficulty in Germany and your only option would be private schools. 

Try contacting the private schools in Hamburg. 

No personal experience and the only person I know with an autistic child is curretly also in the looking for a school stage.

I just know that there are public Inklusion classes in Hamburg and these seem to be a nice option for children slow in arithmetic or writing but who enjoy being with other children all the time day in and day out, the setting is less looking at a black/whiteboard, instruction at greade level is greatly reduced,  and instead there are more hands-on activities and drawing so it is less boring for social and active special  needs children. The special needs children are usually grouped by about four into one class of 23 children to pool helper hours.

Bu they do not emphasize teaching the child, that is it is more keeping the child following the activities of the day.

There is a  private school called Bugenhagen with a couple of  branches in Hamburg that is also Inklusion but I don't know if they are set up to take care of autistic pupils. 

But these are not English environments.

I am afaid it might be very hard to find what you require here: English and accommodation for an autistic child.

Some religious schools here are  also Inklusion, if they are full one can get on a waiting list, people move and so a space will open, but again not English.

You could try sending an email in English to

schulinformationszentrum@bsb.hamburg.de

or ask info@autismushamburg.de 

As for the latter contact, maybe also ask them if you send your child to a private English-language school here what if any resources for a helper to be with him in the classroom could he perhaps qualify for, so you could mention that in your application to a private school, as they might not know and so just reject because of lack of information saying they acnnot admit because they have no helper for him. If you are willing to pay full price for the private school, and they have a spot open, and they can be sure there will be a helper available then they might be more willing to acccept?

The only English school I know here is the ISH.  The rest with English are bilingual and might not be setup to waive the German part, and the courtyard langauge often is German and not English.

Just a thought, which might be crazy or unfeasible but I am going to throw it in there: would a boarding school in England be an option? I presume that you do not want to be separated from your child for long periods of time, especially considering that it would be difficult/impossible to even see him on weekends, but maybe that'd be the best thing for him. His life is more challenging now than it is for the average child, adding a drastic change in his learning environment and in a foreign country could easily overwhelm him.