Visible signs crime is on the rise in Germany

49 posts in this topic

- Some dispensing Apotheken now employ security guards (no longer just a chain drugstores phenomenon)

- Some self-service bakeries are no longer storing chilled drinks in open fridges, but switching equipment to closed fridges

- Mcdonalds and co. are LOCKING self-serve top-up drinks dispensers behind metal cages at certain times of day

- More snack automaten in public places are vandalized / out of service

- Same for Automaten in bahnhofs and car parks

- Noticed some shops in both city and rural areas have started installing "ram-raid style window shutters and not even having out of hours schaufenster displays any more

- (Chatting to an owner of a beauty salon, even they got raided. Wondering what on earth criminals are gonna do with hair rolllers and essential oils...)

- And in the launderette today to wash oversized bedding, I just noticed somebody hovering suspiciously next to my trolley case after I'd popped out for some air

Has anybody noticed any more stuff like this lately?

I haven't noticed any of these in my very quiet neck of the woods or Berlin where I visit family regularly. Where do you live?

2 hours ago, paulwork said:

- Some dispensing Apotheken now employ security guards (no longer just a chain drugstores phenomenon)

- Some self-service bakeries are no longer storing chilled drinks in open fridges, but switching equipment to closed fridges

- Mcdonalds and co. are LOCKING self-serve top-up drinks dispensers behind metal cages at certain times of day

- More snack automaten in public places are vandalized / out of service

- Same for Automaten in bahnhofs and car parks

- Noticed some shops in both city and rural areas have started installing "ram-raid style window shutters and not even having out of hours schaufenster displays any more

- (Chatting to an owner of a beauty salon, even they got raided. Wondering what on earth criminals are gonna do with hair rolllers and essential oils...)

- And in the launderette today to wash oversized bedding, I just noticed somebody hovering suspiciously next to my trolley case after I'd popped out for some air

Are those visible signs of crime actually increasing or are shop owners being proactive? I'm wondering could your observations be related to business' fear of the immigrants whom came here that Germany may turn into a bedlam of crime and unlawfulness or due to actual incidents of crime in those establishments that you mentioned?  

I've noticed they locked the underground parking lot doors at one of the city's parking lots at night because it a huge problem with vagrants  going in there to sleep and use drugs and some of  the banks with ATM machines inside their lobbies are closing their lobbies overnight so people don't go in there and sleep.

But this doesn't have much to do with crime other than trespassing, it's more to do homelessness.

1 hour ago, paulwork said:

No.

I only notice the difference between discounts (Aldi, Lidl, Netto) and non-discounts (Edeka, REWE). The former have separate entrance and exit doors, you have to follow specific route to enter and exit. Exit without passing checkouts is not possible.

In the latter the situation is more lenient, you can enter and exit wherever fuck you want, nobody cares. It has something to do with clientèle (discounts are visited by more poor people), but there is not strict ban or something: anyone can visit whatever supermarket they want. 

12 hours ago, paulwork said:

-

Wow! Hello! Paging Edward Gibbon...better get on that epilogue stat! – We are experiencing a lack of access to fast-food soda here, time to ready the flame-throwing catapults! 

Nice try though. 

11 minutes ago, shoegazer said:

Wow! Hello! Paging Edward Gibbon...better get on that epilogue stat! – We are experiencing a lack of access to fast-food soda here, time to ready the flame-throwing catapults! 

Nice try though. 

Exactly! And we need lots of artificial butter flavored popcorn to enjoy the show!

Nope.  Munich is still status quo.  The only place I ever encounter "security" measures is in the tourist traps.  And that's always been the case.

I smell a troll

In Frankfurt I notice a lot more police officers in bulletproof vests than before.  I've also noticed cops walking around with Kalashnikovs at the airport, something I haven't seen since 1994.

i have to say i did not notice those particularly things,

except that one supermarket near my house had the strong drinks in lock down while there was a refugee center nearby (its not here anymore) because they would storm the place and steal the alcohol. 

now its all back to normal  because the refuge center is down. 

what i have witness is an increase of street fights. some weeks ago inside the ubahn station during daytime after work and some time before again. 

and near my work a street fight between immigrant clans. 

i should start to film those...although i am not sure if i cant upload the videos, as whoever posts this kind of things can be sued, so i was told. 

ps: almost had forgot to tell the times i was punched...but the guys that did it, are gone...hopefully out of Germany :) 

59 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

Nope.  Munich is still status quo.  

sorry, Munich is NOT status quo. crime and violence has increase in the last years.

there were several incidents of houses robbed in my area. usually ground level apartments, where they enter through the window. 

also the increase of rapes is not normal...etc etc. 

everybody i know talks about it, why tehre are always people here pretending Germany is a paradise ? 

PS: of course the US and other countries are worse...but still 

6 minutes ago, esqualidus said:

sorry, Munich is NOT status quo. crime and violence has increase in the last years.

there were several incidents of houses robbed in my area. usually ground level apartments, where they enter through the window. 

also the increase of rapes is not normal...etc etc. 

everybody i know talks about it, why tehre are always people here pretending Germany is a paradise ? 

PS: of course the US and other countries are worse...but still 

Since we seem to be going with anecdotal evidence here (as opposed to say, published crime statistics, which might be useful as a more reliable metric), I see zero change in Munich.

But now I guess I should be very afraid?  Living in an EG and all...and being female...I'm apparently doomed

There have been such changes over the years/decades. Not only because of the recent "refugee crisis" but immigration does play a role. If you use the train from Düsseldorf to Cologne you will often hear them announce "pocket thieves just entered the train / entered platform X". More hospitals now employ security guards esp. for the weekend nights. A few years ago some Berlin schools started employing security. Also open air baths now need (more) security.

Sure this has been discussed to death but with the flood of refugees has also come a massive flood of rape and benefit fraud. Saw this on twitter. I've Worked with Refugees for Decades. Europe's Afghan Crime Wave Is Mind-Boggling.

The part I don't get is the left is more than happy to strongly criticise the church for homophobic attitudes but turns a total blind eye to the same in Islam. And let's not get into the rotterdam rape gang, people were worried about being called racists so they let a massive rape gang run lose. When it finally came to light not a single leftie spoke up. 

1 minute ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Sure this has been discussed to death but with the flood of refugees has also come a massive flood of rape and benefit fraud. Saw this on twitter. I've Worked with Refugees for Decades. Europe's Afghan Crime Wave Is Mind-Boggling.

The part I don't get is the left is more than happy to strongly criticise the church for homophobic attitudes but turns a total blind eye to the same in Islam. And let's not get into the rotterdam rape gang, people were worried about being called racists so they let a massive rape gang run lose. When it finally came to light not a single leftie spoke up. 

How many Muslim religious holidays are incorporated into German calendars and given as bank holidays? Asking for a friend. :lol:

Just now, AlexTr said:

How many Muslim religious holidays are incorporated into German calendars and given as bank holidays? Asking for a friend. :lol:

I don't think any? Why what does this have to do with a massive increase in rape committed by one set of people?

34 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

34 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

How about following your friend's suggestion? It could be called National Crimewave Day!

( a really dumb tongue in cheek comment like your friend's😟...)

PS: my partner's son works in a refugee centre in Hamburg and tells harrowing tales. Really naive decisions abound eg trying to force a traumatised Kurdish women to share a room this week against her will with someone of an ethnic group which had raped and tortured her. She ended up vomiting over the floor and hysterical. 

3 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

the flood of refugees has also come a massive flood of rape

What on Earth makes you say that?

These are Germany's official statistics for rape and other sex offences in cases per 100,000 inhabitants. The numbers have been almost static for the last 15 years and are now exactly the same as in 2001.