Balancing Hormones in Berlin

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. Does anyone know of a good Gynocologist in Berlin who preforms Blood Tests for the purpose of balancing Hormones and has extensive knowledge on Bio-identical Hormone Therapy for Menopausal Women?  My current Gynocologist prescribes Bio-identicals, but does not test Hormone levels to gain an accurate knowledge of what hormones are actually lacking.  If you know of a Gynocologist who does provide testing, could you please let me know. Thank you!

12 hours ago, tkhaskin said:

Hello everyone. Does anyone know of a good Gynocologist in Berlin who preforms Blood Tests for the purpose of balancing Hormones and has extensive knowledge on Bio-identical Hormone Therapy for Menopausal Women?  My current Gynocologist prescribes Bio-identicals, but does not test Hormone levels to gain an accurate knowledge of what hormones are actually lacking.  If you know of a Gynocologist who does provide testing, could you please let me know. Thank you!

testing is not all it's cracked up to be.  The problem is that it's a wee snapshot of a single point in time that pretends to tell you something about a wildly dynamic system, and unless you get into really deep testing, it's still not giving the most accurate picture of what is going on as it merely measures serum levels of the hormone, regardless of whether they are free, bound or conjugated.  The timing of the test is also tricky, as if your body absorbs your supplements quicker or slower than the norm, your values may appear off.  And the implementation of the test matters too because contamination of the sample with topical hormones is a very real concern that is easily overlooked by doctors and techs.

I'm not saying it's worthless, but I have not found it to be a magic bullet when it comes to balancing and it can introduce more confusion.  Eg I am taking less than the standard dose of estrogen but somehow my last test shows I have blood levels almost 4 times that of women who are purportedly taking 2+ times the standard dose .  I have no symptoms of overdosing whatsoever, rather the opposite - my few remaining symptoms are more in line with lower estrogen. Meanwhile my doc is hassling me to reduce my dose based on this one test, which introduces new drama as if I go lower I can't sleep, and that was the whole point of going on hrt to begin with.  Fun!

Anyway, if you really want to go this route and your frauenarzt full on refuses to do it, can't you simply ask your hausarzt for a blood test?  

Note you will likely have to pay out of pocket for it no matter who does the testing - hormone therapy is covered by the kasse but I have been told that blood testing is not, and I've always had to pay extra for that.

good luck!