Dental Cover - With EHIC card

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

stopping in Weissensee, Berlin for a couple of months and tooth has been aching me for nearly a week now. Have used mouthwash and even got medicated mouthwash, but not really helping. I do have an EHIC card, bit unsure how it applies to dental care. Which dentists can I visit, will it cover all the cost? Any advice? 

Dental care is not really covered under standard German health insurance, but if it's covered under the NHS, they should pay for your treatment here - at least at the rates they provide.

You should be able to see any dentist that serves "Kassenpatienten" - but you might want to call ahead first to make sure. You might also have to make a co-payment, to bridge the potential gap between what the NHS pay and what the dentist charges, so be sure to ask about that, too, when you call.

Dental care is not generally covered under UK NHS either. So, check if you are under one of classes NHS does cover.( Check NHS website)

• From Ireland. We have to pay for everything, trip to doctor (60 euro), trip to casualty (100 Euro), dental care pay every time. Does this mean EIHC card is worthless to me?

The EHIC provides the same level of coverage abroad that you enjoy at home.

No offense, but if your dental care is not paid for at home, why would you expect it to be covered abroad?

You listed your nationality as British in your profile - that's why I assumed NHS.

What you can do is call around to different dentists and ask for offers. Tell them you're a "Selbstzahler" - they may offer you a discount compared to a walk-in patient.

I also presumed British. As above- same coverage as at home. This is why extra travel insurance many be a useful/ well spent tool!

I am British, but lived in Ireland for last 30ish years. 

I was presuming anything really, that's why I asked the questions as to what is covered. Had no idea if EIHC card meant I was treated as a German or how the system operated at all.

Fair enough. Didn't mean to accuse you of anything.

As I said, the EHIC essentially grants you the same coverage abroad as you enjoy at home. So if you have to pay for a check-up and a filling at home, you'll have to pay here, too.

Just found this on Irish site, so will go to Insurance company on Monday and find out more, but not clear about dental cover http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/othercountries/Healthcare_services_in_other_EU_EEA_countries.html#germany

Germany

Information
Any insurance company, including Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse (AOK) and the Ersatzkasse (substitute health insurance fund). These companies are generally open from Monday to Friday.

Doctors, dentists and prescriptions
You should present your E111, European Health Insurance Card or Temporary Replacement Certificate to the insurance company to receive the appropriate form. Ask for a list of the doctors contracted to the insurance company and then take your form to one of the doctors on the list. You will receive free treatment from these doctors. If this is not possible, go directly to one of the contracted-in doctors and present your E111, European Health Insurance Card or Temporary Replacement Certificate. You may be required to pay a fee but this can be refunded on production of the required form as issued by the insurance company.
Medicines prescribed by the doctor can be obtained from any pharmacy in exchange for the prescription. You will be liable for a prescription charge depending on the size of the packaging. These costs are non-refundable. For minor drugs and medicines, such as painkillers and cough mixtures, you will be charged the full amount.

Hospital treatment
Hospital treatment is usually provided following consultation with a doctor. If you are admitted to hospital as an emergency and do not have time to approach a doctor or the local insurance company in advance, present your E111, European Health Insurance Card or Temporary Replacement Certificate to the hospital administration and ask them to obtain the required form for you.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Dental care is not really covered under standard German health insurance, but if it's covered under the NHS, they should pay for your treatment here - at least at the rates they provide.

Well, it actually does, but not everything. Look at your dental bill next time: it shows things like „doctor looks into your mouth - 20 euro“ which are paid by Krankenkasse, but I am not sure if covered under EHIC (should be, but who knows).

Generally, if you feel pain the at least partly the work should be covered. At least those things which needed to get you back home without feeling pain. Filling is usually not covered, but basic drilling and removing of the nerve (if necessary) is...

It's worth as much to an Irish tourist here as their national health coverage would be to them in Ireland.

There will be an Irish authority responsible for coordinating the equalization of interstate claims between Ireland and all other EU states as well as all other states with which Ireland has a reciprocal social security and health insurance agreement and they can tell you exactly what the current limitations might be.

The equivalent authority for people with public health insurance in Germany is DVK-A, a subsidiary of GVK the umbrella organisation of all German public health insurers. Here, for example  Erwerbstätigkeit im Ausland FAQ | GKV | DVK-A they provide their FAQs for folks who work abroad and they have PDF brochures for all the relevant countries.

By the way, in case you intend to stay longer than 90 days, your EHIC will have no validity.

You only have a 3 month window of opportunity to join a public health insurance scheme otherwise you must go private. Whichever you choose may have long or short term disadvantages to you so, for independent qualified advice  you should contact @Starshollow or @john g.

If you do not join a German, or BaFin approved foreign, health insurance scheme you will eventually become liable to pay in full for whatever it would have cost you to do so anyway.

IZahnarztsuche: Die Bundeszahnärztekammer (BZÄK) - Dentist Search: Chamber of German Dentists

Enter your PLZ/Berlin and select a radius (Umkreis) to find local dentists. To find an English-speaking dentist use the extended search (erweitert Suche) and you can select Englisch under Fremdsprache.

If you can bear the pain til Monday go to the Apotheke and get some Paracetemol. Just go very easy on the dosage.

If it gets too much for you there's an emergency dental clinic at one of the University teaching hospitals. If you're in obvious pain (groaning and erratically screaming) they tend to be a bit less insistent on getting the admin done first.

*wow* 6 people have replied whilst I wrote this. Wondering now what they've said that I've repeated.:wacko:

2B

I´m surprised. I thought the EHIC card provides the same cover as is provided for locals (at least in emergencies)? When I used my German card in Cyprus when I suffered from lumbago I was treated like a Cypriot (had to pay € 3.- for a doctor´s consultation and could have received free physiotherapy at a public hospital).

16 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Well, it actually does, but not everything. Look at your dental bill next time: it shows things like „doctor looks into your mouth - 20 euro“ which are paid by Krankenkasse, but I am not sure if covered under EHIC (should be, but who knows).

Generally, if you feel pain the at least partly the work should be covered. At least those things which needed to get you back home without feeling pain. Filling is usually not covered, but basic drilling and removing of the nerve (if necessary) is...

I broke a filling and had to go to an emergency dentist (one on duty for the notdienst) and he replaced my filling with a temporary one, all at no cost (with german cover of course).

I need a crown so there was no discussion of a permanent filling, so I have no idea how that works if you try to get it covered during an emergency visit, meaning I'm not sure if they will DO a permanent filling under emergency service.  But they will fix you up to stop the pain, certainly.  AFAIK amalgam fillings are free with german cover, and composites are charged the difference in cost from an amalgam.  IE they cover the most basic medically necessary solution, but nothing more.

On 15.7.2017, 20:21:00, jeba said:

I´m surprised. I thought the EHIC card provides the same cover as is provided for locals (at least in emergencies)? When I used my German card in Cyprus when I suffered from lumbago I was treated like a Cypriot (had to pay € 3.- for a doctor´s consultation and could have received free physiotherapy at a public hospital).

Effectively, with EHIC, the rates are the same as locally; however, those rates are then charged towards the insurance at your home, which covers the same "set" of procedures that they cover in their country. Hence, as an example, if a German with a EHIC card goes to a doctor in another EU country and has e.g. emer dental work done, the insurance covers the same procedures as at home (paying the local rates!) while things not covered then would be charged towards the patient (also at local rates).