Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin in a day

13 posts in this topic

Long story short my daughter wanted to go to a concert in Berlin with friends. I thought about it and chickened out so now we are going to the concert together and since I am driving to Berlin and have never been I decided to make a weekend of it. So I will have one full day in Berlin and wondering what people have for suggestions. I am looking to do the tourist route.

So far I am for sure:

Going to the Reichstag, I already got my free tickets.

Brandenburg Tor

And will walk by Check point Charlie, because you have to. (It is close to my hotel too)

I am leaning towards:

Berlin Wall Memorial and/or East side Gallery

Museum Island, maybe going into the Neues Museum

Not sure at all:

Berlin Dom (I have been to SOOOOO many churches but would go if it was worth it)

Alexander Platz

Potsdamer Platz (seems to only be new buildings not sure if I am interested)

Die Hackesche Höfe (seems like shopping and I am not really looking to go shopping)

Tiergarten (maybe if I had more time but it seems to be a park and well, it's a park)

And I am thinking of going to Tony Romas for lunch. I know it's an American chain, but I don't get a chance to go to many American restaurants in Germany so I thought it might be a fun escape for a change. 

I am open to suggestions since I don't really know all that much about Berlin. Thanks in advance.

I've lived in Berlin for just over 20 years. My 2 cents:

Berlin Wall Memorial and/or East side Gallery - Both are just walls, the latter is more colorful than the former. Both are relatively out of the way. Should be a low priority unless you really want to tell your friends you've seen it in person. If you're going to be at Checkpoint Charlie anyway, I highly recommend spending an hour or two at the Wall Museum.

Museum Island, maybe going into the Neues Museum - Much better option, although you could spend a week in the museums alone. The Pergamon is currently closed for renovations or that would be my go-to.

Berlin Dom  - A big cathedral. More impressive than some, but nothing IMO compared to Speyer, Mainz, or churches in Spain or Italy. A walk down Unter den Linden, with the whole Humboldt ensemble, is definitely worth it, however. I also recommend the Deutsches Museum.

Alexander Platz - Urban jungle, lots of hustle and bustle. Also lots of pickpockets, junkies, and punks. 

Potsdamer Platz - I never go there unless I'm going to the English-language Cinestar on the Sony side. Uniformly overpriced restaurants, with poor to mediocre quality (see Tony Roma's comment below). The only thing worth doing there IMO, aside from watching movies in English, is the observation platform at the top of the tallest building on the Platz

Die Hackesche Höfe - Overrun with tourists, it's more the neighborhood than the Höfe themselves that are interesting. I highly recommend the Chamäleon theater there. They feature acrobats and artists - all the thrills of Cirque de Soleil at a fraction of the price.

Tiergarten - You're right, nothing but a big park. Nice if you have time to kill, but it sounds like you don't

And I am thinking of going to Tony Romas for lunch. - Don't. It's awful. Look for a good burger place instead. You'll find many online in all price ranges - I can personally recommend either of the Windburger restaurants, any of the Schiller Burger places, and Berlin Burger International. Or for a special treat, go to The Bird for dinner - reservations highly recommended - and get a real, delicious burrito for lunch instead.

1 hour ago, programdirector said:

And will walk by Check point Charlie, because you have to. (It is close to my hotel too)

Check out the Mauermuseum at Checkpoint Charlie. We spend more than 6 hours there with visitors from outside the EU.

1 hour ago, programdirector said:

I am leaning towards:

Berlin Wall Memorial and/or East side Gallery

Museum Island, maybe going into the Neues Museum

Not sure at all:

Berlin Dom (I have been to SOOOOO many churches but would go if it was worth it)

I think you can only go with a guided tour. We usually go for Christmas to the church service. Well, it's a nice big church.

If you go to Gendarmenmarkt there are two other Doms (German and French Dom). And it's a nice place. There is also a chocolate store + cafe (with Rausch chocolate).

I can also recommend the Panoramapunkt Cafe at Potsdamer Platz for it's nice view.

46 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

And I am thinking of going to Tony Romas for lunch. - Don't. It's awful.

I actually liked Tony Roma's. Maybe because it's hard to find good Ribs in Germany.

Oh, and since you are in the area, a short walk (through the Tiergarten) from the Brandenburger Tor is the Siegessäule which you can also climb for a nice view.

49 minutes ago, vronchen said:

I actually liked Tony Roma's. Maybe because it's hard to find good Ribs in Germany.

Tony Roma's is 100% convenience food - nothing is freshly prepared. They take it out of the packaging and pop it into the microwave.

If you want real BBQ, try The Pit - http://www.thepitberlin.com/ - or google "Ribs Berlin": Yelp and Foursquare both have lists in English; Berliner Morgenpost has one in German.

I like going to the food court on the upper floor of KaDeWe they have such an interesting array of groceries and the bakery and chocolates up there are fantastic.  I've also enjoyed eating at the fish restaurant there too.

Overpriced, but I just enjoy sitting up there eating and people watching and I like the space.

Good point, Lav. The Chinese place up there is very good, and they also have a gourmet burger bar. 

Or go for a gourmet currywurst with a freshly poured Budvar.

Some ideas:

1. Walk from Alexanderplatz to the Brandenburg Gate.   Consult a guide book for the points of interest in between.  

2. Walk from Brandenburg Gate to the Reichstag, the Russian Memorial and possibly the Siegessäule to get a view of the area.

3. Walk from Siegessäule through the Tiergarten and see the Jewish Memorial and Potsdamer Platz (briefly).

You might find a short walk down parts of Karl Marx Allee to be interesting because of the architecture.  

52 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

If you want real BBQ, try The Pit - http://www.thepitberlin.com/ - or google "Ribs Berlin": Yelp and Foursquare both have lists in English; Berliner Morgenpost has one in German.

Thanks, but unfortunately beef ribs ain't gonna fly with my bf. Any recommendations for baby back ribs? So far we only found good ones in Munich.

I would like to give a less touristic route, which works very well if the weather is sunny:

1) Start from Warschauerstr., walk along the Oberbaumbrücke until Schlesisches Tor - enjoy the view from the bridge and the graffiti on the way

2) Walk parallel to the river (direction east) until you reach Badeschiff - Have a soda or something, enjoy the summer weather and possibly go swimming!

3) Walk along Spree and enjoy the close view of the Molecular Man

4) Keep walking along the river and enjoy Treptower Park

5) Cross the street to the awe-inspiring Soviet Memorial (Sowjetisches Ehrenmal)

6) Return to the river side of the park and visit the Insel der Jugend for the beach bar / Biergarten - you can have a Flammkuchen and watch the boats passing by

Variations:

-Start from Janowitzbrücke and walk along the East Side Gallery until you reach the Oberbaumbrücke - it is a loud and busy street, so this step is optional

-Rent a bicycle instead of walking; you will probably save time and energy

At least this is what I always show to visiting friends, when I go back to Berlin from time to time, and they love it because it combines fun with history and nature. It takes around 5-6 hours, depending on how long your stops are, maybe down to 3-4 hours with a bike. Have a good time in Berlin!