Getting a driving licence in 5 months in Berlin?

7 posts in this topic

I am about to go down the road of trying to get my driving license here in Germany (Berlin). I've read some of the guides on the web but have a few questions, specific to my situation and where I live.

Mostly I am a bit worried because there is a 50% chance I might be leaving Germany some time around the end of this year or beginning of 2018, so just in case I want to ask if this would be a reasonable time frame to complete it in, especially based on how long it usually takes to make government appointments for things in Berlin? I know just for my immigration appointment I needed to wait 4 months, so am worried how long I might have to wait to reserve my test. I'm also not sure how soon I can start taking the lessons as I haven't yet applied to the government to start the learning process.

Also, I just want to check that it won't be a problem if I left Germany so soon after getting the licence? As I understand the requirement is to have lived for more than 6 months in the country, but then after you can move to anywhere in the EU and it will be valid, is that correct?

4 minutes ago, blinki said:

if this would be a reasonable time frame to complete it in

Yes. If you have the time and are organised, you could do the lessons in two weeks. Just google 'Führerschein in 2 Wochen Berlin' or something similar. It will take several weeks to organise this though (you need to send an application to the responsible government office, but don't need to go there). 

8 minutes ago, blinki said:

how long I might have to wait to reserve my test

The test is not done at a government agency. Your driving school will book a place for you when you are ready or ask them about how they do this for those attending intensive courses. 

19 minutes ago, blinki said:

how soon I can start taking the lessons as I haven't yet applied to the government to start the learning process

With regards to the government getting involved, they need to have your application processed before you take both exams. You sort out the lessons, both theory and practice, with your school. 

1 hour ago, LenkaG said:

Yes. If you have the time and are organised, you could do the lessons in two weeks. Just google 'Führerschein in 2 Wochen Berlin' or something similar. It will take several weeks to organise this though (you need to send an application to the responsible government office, but don't need to go there). 

The test is not done at a government agency. Your driving school will book a place for you when you are ready or ask them about how they do this for those attending intensive courses. 

With regards to the government getting involved, they need to have your application processed before you take both exams. You sort out the lessons, both theory and practice, with your school. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused though, you say I don't need to go to the government office?

According to what I've been told I need to make an appointment to go to the Bürgeramt (the earliest appointment near my house is 9th of August), and then it can take 6-12 weeks to be confirmed. So that already makes it up to 4 months. I guess I would have to ask the driving school how long it takes to schedule the test after I have the government confirmation.

As for completing the lessons in time, my problem is there are not many schools that offer the theory in English, the only one that I have found so far only offers twice per week so it takes a long time, although I can do this while I wait for the confirmation from the Bürgeramt.

4 minutes ago, blinki said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused though, you say I don't need to go to the government office?

You do. To apply for it, submit test results and then collect license. But both exams are done either by TÜV or Dekra, these are private companies.

I did not have to go anywhere. I submitted the application either by snail mail or through the school, I am not sure now, and the examiner gave me my license at the end of the exam.  

I have checked some websites of schools in Berlin and their estimates of processing time varied -- I wonder if this depends on where in Berlin you apply. 

Does anyone know any school that does the theory classes in English in Berlin? I've only found 1 so far and they are very expensive :(

The US based Anglo Info Business Directory shows 11 + Driving Schools, Instructors & Lessons in Berlin whereas another US based site lists  670 + Driving Schools in Berlin, Germany - Yelp.

The Yelp page is titled 'The 10 Best Driving Schools in Berlin, Germany for 2017' but that's meaningless, other than to the sales & marketing dept at Yelp, unless one of your goals were to learn to sail! Still, their list is very long so, maybe by filtering by Bezirk and/or distance and then checking the reviews, you could narrow the choice down before calling around.

A little checking on some of the sites I looked at, which claimed to offer English language theory classes, said elsewhere that they ran the theory classes in German but, if there were X number attending, they could switch to bilingual so do read all the FAQ pages of any you're interested in. Some schools have crawler banners stating they are booked up until September.

In some cases their English start (landing) pages are written in fairly good English but many of the other pages on the same site are obviously translated by google, or worse. I would wonder about the owner or manager's abilities to read, let alone speak, English if they weren't capable of proofreading some of these blatant errors. One of the most well marketed driving schools whose site showed such sloppiness also claims to offer English language teaching classes too. :lol:

Prices do vary, but not by a great deal. The biggest variable in total cost is probably down to the individual student's ability to absorb a lot of material in a short time. I read that the average total cost in Berlin was around 1350€ but even to reach that would still take quite a number of repeat lessons (and possibly tests). I'm sure a confident and concentrated student who invested enough of their own time in revising and self-testing could save up to 400€ from that average.

The consensus seems to be that, depending on which Bezirk you're located, the bureaucratic part of the process takes between 5 or 6 and up to 12 weeks while most schools claim to need no more than 7 weeks for the theory lessons and practical training sessions. Of course they are talking about from date of starting and some may be already booked out for weeks in advance. Also their time estimate is bound to be optimistic insofar as they have no control over the quality of their students.

If you get organized I think you could manage to have your license by some time in mid-September to early November.

NB: The "(takes place in the Driving school)" info does not apply to all schools.

1.) goverment: to start your drivers licence, such as beginner or converting your licence into a german drivers licence,  you need
  • first aid course, (takes place in the Driving school)
  • biometric picture (takes place in the Driving school)
  • eyetest (takes place in the Driving school)
  • passport
  • together 50,00 € cash for the course, picture, eyetest
these things you take with you and 
get an appointment at the “ Bürgeramt „. ( by phone or personel or internet)

here you need:
  • the registration confirmation from the place you live
  • name and details of the driving school,
  • which license: B( car) or B automatic, A (Motorcycle)
  • passport
  • 50 €
After 6-12 weeks you will get an confirmation from the Bürgeramt.
Now you can do:
  • First the theorytest (Price by the Tüv: 22,49 €)
  • Second the practical exam (Price by the Tüv: 91,75 €) (TÜV/Dekra).

Good luck, and always remember to drive with care and consideration.

2B