Questions on Life as foreigner in duisburg

15 posts in this topic

Hello Team, 

 

I am Indian living in germany from past 3 years , could any one give information about Duisburg city( regarding quality  of living ) .

 

I work as software developer. planning to move to duisburg for new job. Some of my friends are mentioning that NRW region is not safe for foreigners is it true, How good is night life, and quality of life compare to other cities.

 

Please give more information. 

 

Best regards

Ranjith    

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's one of the poorest cities in Germany with big unemployment. The train station is falling apart. If I would work in Duisburg, I would probably live in Düsseldorf and take the train. I do a project in Essen, but that is just a bit better than Duisburg.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The Programmer said:

NRW region is not safe for foreigners

 

I don't feel it is much different from other regions in this respect. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LenkaG said:

 

I don't feel it is much different from other regions in this respect. 

I would actually argue that there is a difference.  I wouldn't say that foreigners are singled out but Duisburg tends to be a not so nice city with an increasing crime rate.  Compare that to Bavaria where you just have local chruňos to worry about.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, J0ker said:

I wouldn't say that foreigners are singled out but Duisburg tends to be a not so nice city with an increasing crime rate.

 

Fair enough, I really just found it curious that foreigners should feel unsafe in NRW. 

 

37 minutes ago, J0ker said:

chruňos

 

I haven't heard that word in such a long time :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LenkaG said:

I haven't heard that word in such a long time :D

I couldn't find an English equivalent. ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NRW is definitely not unsafe for foreigners - or let's say not less safe for foreigners than for German. It's rather the Bundeslaender in the East which I would consider as unsafe for foreigners (I think the most hate crimes are reported form Saxonia and there was a time when Brandenburg was very unsafe for foreigners).

 

Duisburg isn't the most beautiful city of Germany, but otherwise I wouldn't have any concerns. It probably also depends where in Duisburg you would live.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thai said:

NRW is definitely not unsafe for foreigners - or let's say not less safe for foreigners than for German. It's rather the Bundeslaender in the East which I would consider as unsafe for foreigners (I think the most hate crimes are reported form Saxonia and there was a time when Brandenburg was very unsafe for foreigners).

 

Duisburg isn't the most beautiful city of Germany, but otherwise I wouldn't have any concerns. It probably also depends where in Duisburg you would live.

 

 

Hi Thai , Could you recommend some regions good in duisburg , with nice and clean people. 

 

Br

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd recommend Neudorf, Duissern, Dellviertel, Wedau, Buchholz, Grossenbaum.

 

By the way, we have an international group that meets every 1st Tuesday and every 3rd Thursday of the month at Tura88  ( exception: on 20th July we meet at the Stadtfest instead. )

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.7.2017, 23:37:27, Summerinthecity said:

I'd recommend Neudorf, Duissern, Dellviertel, Wedau, Buchholz, Grossenbaum.

 

By the way, we have an international group that meets every 1st Tuesday and every 3rd Thursday of the month at Tura88  ( exception: on 20th July we meet at the Stadtfest instead. )

Thank you , and sorry for late reply. could you send me a link or something , I am new here in neudorf, Duisburg. I feel lonely... need make some connections in city,

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now it's my turn to say sorry for the late reply! Here is a link to the invitation for the next meeting of the international group:

 

https://nebenan.de/public_feed/3980460

This time it exceptionally takes place on a Wednesday, but normally we meet every 1st Tuesday and 3rd Thursday of the month.

Please also note that the location changed and we now meet at "Zum Knorrigen", Lotharstr. 144, 47057 Duisburg.

We look forward to seeing you! And maybe also at the Season's Opening party of the swimming club which I just posted as an event.
 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2017, 10:54:21, The Programmer said:

i mean , clean without crime, speak polite  

This is right. Unfortunately I had to realize after living in Dortmund for over a year, that the people quite aggressive here, especially those who has been "integrated" into the community and they way over reacting the national consciousness. I lived in several countries before I arrived to Germany for work. So I have a sort of experience living in abroad. Most of the Germans from German families are very polite I have not any problem with them, but people who living here for over 7-8 years reacting very threatening in many life situation. I have been almost attacked for speaking in English by foreigners while they were shouting this is Germany I have to speak German. Interesting I never heard this from mouth of a German. (I have also Pakistan and Turkish friends "German" who have come to the country dynasties ago. They never would tell me to not to speak English either, because they German too.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4.6.2018, 15:50:31, FrankHun said:

 Most of the Germans from German families are very polite I have not any problem with them, but people who living here for over 7-8 years reacting very threatening in many life situation. I have been almost attacked for speaking in English by foreigners while they were shouting this is Germany I have to speak German. Interesting I never heard this from mouth of a German. (I have also Pakistan and Turkish friends "German" who have come to the country dynasties ago. They never would tell me to not to speak English either, because they German too.)

 

I live in Duisburg, I have been in Germany for about five years now and my first language is English (I am American.) This happened to me maybe twice, by intoxicated or 'asocial' Germans. I won't put up with that 'speak only German' shit. I pay taxes/work, contribute to society in a positive way, I am married to a local and indeed speak German. I am polite about it but nobody is going to tell me what language to speak with friends and family. 

 

Funny enough, as a long term Duisburg resident I am genuinely surprised this happens to anyone. Immigrants really seem to be the backbone of this community, especially in the industrial sector. I have even seen German kids picking up Turkish phrases and using them casually on the playground. :)

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now