Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Deregistering a car in Germany

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am thinking about returning to the UK soon.

I would like to take my German car back with me. I have looked into regerstering it in the UK and it all looks quite straight forward.

The question is what do I have to do at this end? I remember reading that the plates must be handed in, and you get tempoary plates for the trip home.

Is this correct, where do I go to get this done, and what do I have to take with me?

Any information will be much appreciated.

Duncan.

All quite simple:

You get Ausführkennzeichen at the Strassenverkehrsamt, just like a normal (re-)registration.

You need all the same docs as for a normal registration, it is just that the Ausführkennzeichen is only valid for 6 months. You cand drive anywhere you want with it, the car just has to be registered soemwhere else before the time runs out.

Look at your local authorities website for details, the exact procedure varies from place to place.

Thanks Mike,

Problem is that I did not register the car, the garage did it for me.

What documents would I have needed when regestering the car first time around?

Duncan.

* Personalausweiss (Passport and confirmation of residence for Brits)

* Fahrzeugbrief and Fahrzeugschein (Big green reg doc, with the previous owners on it, that you keep at home and the little one you take with you in the car)

* TÜV and ASU papers (remember the little "cash register" strip that goes with the ASU)

* Current reg plates (you have to anul them before you get new ones)

* Doppelkarte (you get that from your insurer)

* Money (You have to pay to de-reg AND to re-reg)

Still best to check with your local Amt, as some have special arrangements.

I'm in a similar (but worse) situation.

I left Germany to go back to the UK a month ago. I'd decided I wanted to take my German registered car with me (and drove back in it). I did all the cleanup thing before leaving Germany like de-registering myself at my local amt so I don't have the residence document anymore.

I assumed that I could do the import/registration thing while in the UK after a couple of weeks.

Now I'm thinking I want a new car and trying to get rid of this German one. I figured I'd just drive across to Germany, find the nearest car dealership, sell it to them and get a train back to the UK.

Will I be able to sell it to a dealer and have them do all the de-registering if I just hand over the car's documents (fahrzeugschein and that thing with the previous owners and stuff) ? Or do I need to somehow re-register myself at the amt just so I can unregister the car?

* Doppelkarte (you get that from your insurer)

I was told this too, but you do in fact need a Gelbe "ARISA" Versicherungskarte which can only be issued by the ADAC. See here You buy them on a 2 week basis at 80EUR for 2 weeks so you can get your Ausfuhrkennzeichen. You can have your Ausfuhrkennzeichen for as long as you want, but you have to pay for the insurance up to that time (80EUR for each 2 weeks up front) Obviously you can do your own maths for how long you need it, but I think that 2 weeks is normally enough time to get everything sorted.

I had to get mine for 4 weeks when I moved up here. Complete rip-off but I knew that it would take longer than 2 weeks up here to register my car as I first had to "anmelden" myself in Sweden etc etc. Damn bureaucracy! :angry::P

Have a word with your local ADAC office. You don't have to be a member to get one of these insurances. Don't let your insurance company fob you off like mine did. They sent me a Doppelkarte and I nearly had a fit when I found out they'd told me a load of *!&%!. Fortunately I started sorting it all out well before I left Germany. Thank god I didn't leave it til the last minute!!! You have been warned :P ;)

I left Germany to go back to the UK a month ago. I'd decided I wanted to take my German registered car with me (and drove back in it). I did all the cleanup thing before leaving Germany like de-registering myself at my local amt so I don't have the residence document anymore.

I assumed that I could do the import/registration thing while in the UK after a couple of weeks.

Now I'm thinking I want a new car and trying to get rid of this German one. I figured I'd just drive across to Germany, find the nearest car dealership, sell it to them and get a train back to the UK.

Will I be able to sell it to a dealer and have them do all the de-registering if I just hand over the car's documents (fahrzeugschein and that thing with the previous owners and stuff) ? Or do I need to somehow re-register myself at the amt just so I can unregister the car?

When we sold our car privately, we downloaded a long German sales contract which basically said that the person that bought it would re register it. We left the keys KFZ brief and the number plates on the car. It was her job to re-registar it. She paid us in cash.

Once you hand over the KFZ brief, that is the really big document that you got with the car, you are basically handing ownership over of the car to the person, which is why it should always be left at home.

When we bought our next car from a dealer 2 hours north, we faxed a signed copy of the sales contract back to him, and he then sent us the KFZ brief which I took the Amp and registered our car and picked up the plates. This was, incidentally, before we actually paid for it.

Also becuase we financed the car we had to send the KFZ brief not a copy, but the actual thing to BMW bank, once the loan is paid off they will return it to us (I hope :unsure: )

So to answer your question if I hand you X amount of dollars (opps Euros) and you hand me the FKZ brief I own the car.

Of course it goes without saying that the dealer will have the upper hand in this deal.

Hope this helps

I think that helps, but I'm not sure. My problem is that I'm no longer registered at the anmeldeamt since I've left Germany and I'm wondering if I'll get problems selling the car because of that as I have no anmeldungschein to show. From your description of the selling process it doesn't sound like I'd need one.

I'm particularly concerned about whether or not the dealer I'll sell to can be trusted to de-register the car. I don't want the auto steuer people hunting me down for a KFZ steuer renewal even though I sold it. Likewise if the dealer left the plates on and someone got blitzed they'd be looking for me to pay the straffzettel. The only way I could guarantee it's de-registered is to do it myself, which I can't because I'm not angemeldet.

You agree with the buyer that they will de/re-register the car. When you sell your car and sign the contract then you put the date and time of signing on the contract. Do this on 2 copies. Seller keeps one and the buyer keeps one. Money, contracts and Brief are exchanged. That's it.

Thanks for the responses. it looks like I'll have no problems. Nice to get things straight before I plan the trip over to sell it :)

There is quite a lot written about how to register a car, well does anyone know how you go about cancelling it?

I have just sold my Munich registered car today (Sale agreed, deposit taken).

The buyer now intends to return in a couple of days with the rest of the money and to take ownership of the car.

So should I let them drive it away with 'my' registration plates?

Or should I take them off?

If I take them off what do I do with them, No rude answers please.

Do I need to inform any authority?

If I let the buyer take the car away with them on what should I do?

Do I need to get any signed agreement from the buyer that they will return them to the authorities?

Any help and advice gratefully received.

GregCa

Topics merged by admin

You need to remove the number plates from the vehicle and go to your vehicle registration office along with the brief & schein. you then just de-register the car as normal.

Whoever is buying the car needs to turn up with red trade plates or trailer, unless of course they are going to register it before collecting (after payment of course).

Dunno if it's different where you are, but that is not the case here. If you are de-registering the car you don't even have to go to the office. You can fax the form to them.

If you own the car then you have a Fahrzeugbrief & schein which are the ownership papers for the vehicle.

Just read the earlier posts on this thread. It should answer most of your questions.

Ok I understand about the breif and schein.

What is the 'form' that I can fax to the KFZ?