Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Check the aquastop on your appliances - might have caused the flood

5 posts in this topic

I'm writing this in case you have an aquastop on your dishwasher or washing machine.

Its a wonderful device that will shut off the water if the machine (or the piping) has a problem

and is designed to prevent flood from the fully open tap to the machine.

So we've had the machine some years now and it's in the built in kitchen.

The aquastop is hard to reach under the sink (in a seldom used and unlit cupboard).

Cause :

I noticed that the aquastop has unscrewed itself (!) from the tap and needs a good 1 cm 

to tighten it back up. Plumber suggests this happens over the years as the valve inside 

shuts with a clunk. It slowly vibrates itself off.

Effect :

water leaks onto the tiles and then down the plaster walls, through the screed (Estrich) to the concrete floor.

Then travels along the concrete into next room and up the walls (unseen due to cupboards)

Mould has taken hold of the walls (plaster).

Remedy :

Stop the leak -- just screw the aqua stop back.

Walls - and floor -- drying company come along and drill holes in the floors and run

drying machines for 4 weeks. Then fill the holes and replaster / redecorate the rooms.

My tip :

Go and see if the aquastop can be tightened (today) -- better still replace it with one with a brass fitting

as they can be tightened much harder. Mine has a plastic thread - probably why it worked loose.

Also check that your insurance will cover all this...

Luckily we are in a house. Not that we dripped down to the neighbours if were had been in a flat.

Good advice @HH_Sailor. During the night, the fire brigade spent hours pumping our neighbour’s cellar of a huge amount of gushing water.  A relatively new build semi. After several hours, the FB went to the adjoining house. The cause was a broken washing machine hose in that house that mainly seeped into the neighbour’s cellar. Apparently it’s a very common cause of flooding though not many people know that hoses should be replaced every 2-3 years. Water stop valves too. 

I’m concerned that we have a 300 litre hot water tank on our top floor. When it was replaced a few years ago, the installer said that the old one should have been placed in a watertight tub/Wanne. The new is though couldn’t really handle a major leak. 

I see that water sensors are now widely available. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I just heard more about what happened with my neighbour‘s washing machine that flooded her cellar and the adjoining neighbour‘s cellar. When the washing machine was spinning, it fell off the platform and the hose was pulled away from the water connector. As the household were asleep 2-3 stories higher, no one heard this. The FB warned that appliances in general should ideally never run overnight due to fire and flood risk. Aren’t dividing walls between semi detached houses supposed to be waterproof?

3 hours ago, emkay said:

I just heard more about what happened with my neighbour‘s washing machine that flooded her cellar and the adjoining neighbour‘s cellar. When the washing machine was spinning, it fell off the platform and the hose was pulled away from the water connector. As the household were asleep 2-3 stories higher, no one heard this. The FB warned that appliances in general should ideally never run overnight due to fire and flood risk. Aren’t dividing walls between semi detached houses supposed to be waterproof?

I don't know of any German building code that requires this. Imagine if they did...properties would be significantly more expensive to build and how do you prevent the apartment above leaking down into yours? It's a non-starter.