Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to buy plane ticket for someone else?

22 posts in this topic

Dear all is it possible for me to buy a plane ticket for someone else who comes from Italy ?

I live in Germany ofcourse

They ask me for example to enter the data as name , family  name , adress , email

Should i enter my data (except the name) or should i give the other person data ?

The other person doesnt have an emil for example. What email should i use ?

Is there any tricks to this ?

3 hours ago, TraceKira said:

Dear all is it possible for me to buy a plane ticket for someone else who comes from Italy ?

Jo

Should i enter my data (except the name) or should i give the other person data ?

Your data.

The other person doesnt have an emil for example. What email should i use ?

Use your e-mail.

Some airlines require credit card holders to be present at check-in. Call your airline to clarify this. Usually if this is the case, they accept you to mail them your CC or something.

Yes, I did that in the past and it was a pain in the butt because the airline requested the owner of the credit card to be during check-in which is impossible when the person is traveling to you. I had to go and chase people in the airport airline's counter (not the check-in ones) to do an "identity check" which was pretty much a headache because they are only there when they have flights but when they have flights they are too busy for this.

Check the conditions of the airline before buying and if needed call them.

Edit: if the other person does not have an email, how are you planning on sending them the tickets?

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Edit: if the other person does not have an email, how are you planning on sending them the tickets?

There are no paper tickets for air travel since 2008.

There is, thus, no need to send anything except travel details (airline, date and time, airport).

LOL you really suck at being a know-it all.

While some airlines only require your ID in order to travel (read most non-budget ones), other airlines require you to bring the print out of the e-ticket in paper (read some non-budget airlines), some will charge you some 30 or 40 EUR if you do not bring it and some do not let you travel at all. Some will allow you to bring the e-ticket in your smartphone, but that I don't think it is an option for someone who does not have an email.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

LOL you really suck at being a know-it all.

While some airlines only require your ID in order to travel (read most non-budget ones), other airlines require you to bring the print out of the e-ticket in paper (read some non-budget airlines), some will charge you some 30 or 40 EUR if you do not bring it and some do not let you travel at all. Some will allow you to bring the e-ticket in your smartphone, but that I don't think it is an option for someone who does not have an email.

Which airlines?

Not even remote Chinese airlines where you need to call them and speak in Chinese to buy a ticket (and Chinese credit card, of course) did ever require that.

Do you mean boarding pass? Yes, that can be a problem for some lowcosts.

I do this all the time for my daughter and/or son and even for a friend once.  You have to be careful: when they ask for traveller's name, you enter that. When you are ready to pay ou give your credit card number and YOUR name and address corresponding to the card. When that is done you will get a confirmation email.

You can then ring the person and let them know it is OK. All they have to do is appear at the check in counter with their valid passport.

It has never ever been necesssary for the CC cardholder to be present at checkin!

43 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Which airlines?

Not even remote Chinese airlines where you need to call them and speak in Chinese to buy a ticket (and Chinese credit card, of course) did ever require that.

Do you mean boarding pass? Yes, that can be a problem for some lowcosts.

It's true that some budget airlines such as ryanair and easyjet require you to check in online and print out your boarding pass, or download it on your phone. In this case you should print it out  for the person and send it by snail mail.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

It's true that some budget airlines such as ryanair and easyjet require you to check in online and print out your boarding pass, or download it on your phone. In this case you should print it out  for the person and send it by snail mail.

I only know the exact details for Austrian at the moment, but I guess most airlines have similar time limits. When flying with Austrian the earliest online check-in is 47 hours prior to departure. I don't think snail mail to Italy is that quick :unsure:

Absolutely! I think we were all fixated on trying to answer the OP's question, but yours is probably the simplest solution (unless the traveller doesn't have a credit card or money.)

20 hours ago, keroleen said:

I only know the exact details for Austrian at the moment, but I guess most airlines have similar time limits. When flying with Austrian the earliest online check-in is 47 hours prior to departure. I don't think snail mail to Italy is that quick :unsure:

The airlines which have such a short time for online checkin usually also have free checkin at the airport (eg: Austrian, Lufthansa). Low-cost airlines generally make it very expensive to check in at the airport but it's still possible (eg: Ryanair charges €50 )

With traditional airlines one can also check in online, but print the boarding pass at the counter for free (this is what I do when there is no printer around).

6 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

print the boarding pass at the counter for free (this is what I do when there is no printer around).

Out of curiosity, why do you print it out at all, rather than rely on a digital copy on your phone?

7 minutes ago, naberlin said:

Out of curiosity, why do you print it out at all, rather than rely on a digital copy on your phone?

Some countries still do not accept digital copies. In India, for example, you need a ticket to enter the airport, so I do not risk with the smartphone.

Also, until 2016 I had an old style phone, not a smartphone. Otherwise, you are right: there is less and less point in printing the boarding pass.

5 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Also, until 2016 I had an old style phone, not a smartphone.

:yikes

Looking from now, I agree. But I had a love relationship with Nokia and was very reluctant to abandon it.

On 4.7.2017, 20:37:41, yourkeau said:

Some countries still do not accept digital copies. In India, for example, you need a ticket to enter the airport, so I do not risk with the smartphone.

Also, until 2016 I had an old style phone, not a smartphone. Otherwise, you are right: there is less and less point in printing the boarding pass.

This can be tricky. I had mine on a smartphone and I had to trange planes in Dubai and needed the second boarding pass. But I could not connect to the internet and so could not access the mail with the boarding passes. Some airports don't give you free wifi so you would have to download them in advance. And when I download stuff I never know where to find it again. I am very untechy. In the end it worked out at the last minute before the gate closed. And then we were kept sitting in the plane for 90 minutes because some other intransit knobs had had a late arrival (just as I'd had!) and we waited for them and to get their luggage loaded. I thought planes didn't wait for late arrivals???

And then to put the icing onthe cake OUR luggage was not loaded in Dubai; a whole lot of passengers were left luggageless. It was delivered the next day.