A2 to B1 level, How?!?

24 posts in this topic

Well, my spouse doesn't want me spending money on a language course so I'm currently studying Grammar books on my own, but I feel like at this pace I'll be at B1 level in 3 years...

The hardest part for me is having questions and getting it to click. 

Any helpful tips or suggestions? 

Did anyone else self teach with success?

Just now, LenkaG said:

A good tandem language exchange helps immensely. 

You're awesome, thank you!

That would also probably help me with my sentence structure. 

5 minutes ago, WanderLost said:

That would also probably help me with my sentence structure. 

Absolutely! What it can help you with depends also on how (in)formal you would like it to be. Some people just meet somewhere to chat, others do more. I should really look for a new tandem partner for my Spanish learning as my partner is very busy at the moment and we are taking a break, but I have been apprehensive about that as I would prefer to resume the existing exchange. We used to meet weekly on Skype and each of us worked independently during the week either with a book or with online materials and we used to discuss the problems that have come up there as well.  

Reading would also help with sentence structure if you pick something that you are comfortable with reading.

Just now, LenkaG said:

I should really look for a new tandem partner for my Spanish learning 

If I wouldn't have had to push my Spanish skills off to the side in order to learn German, I'd definitely be down. But I kept finding myself saying things like Lo siento, Ich kann heute nicht. 🙄

Hi, @WanderLost, first, I am going to recommend that you use all the free courses online that you can. Try this one: http://www.dw.com/en/learn-german/s-2469

Second, is your hubby an EU citizen or a blue card holder? Does he not realize you are eligible for subsidized classes that basically make your education costs about €1/hr? You should really talk to your agent at the foreigner's office and find out about your eligibility and tell them you are just DYING to learn German and be functional. Once they wake up from their faint, they will help you out. Seriously, sitting in a room full of people who are in the same boat as you will make you feel so much less isolated.

18 hours ago, AlexTr said:
18 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Hi, @WanderLost

Second, is your hubby an EU citizen or a blue card holder? Does he not realize you are eligible for subsidized classes that basically make your education costs about €1/hr? 

Alex you're my hero!! Thanks so much for all the information, I have an appointment at the KVR on the 4th. Maybe they'll be helpful haha

I really appreciate it!

1 hour ago, WanderLost said:

Alex you're my hero!! Thanks so much for all the information, I have an appointment at the KVR on the 4th. Maybe they'll be helpful haha

I really appreciate it!

Of course, on its best best days, Toytown is about all of us helping each other as much as we can. Here is the appropriate website for the Bundeministerium fuer Migration. It's all in English. So you can read through it. 

http://www.bamf.de/EN/Willkommen/DeutschLernen/Integrationskurse/Formulare/formulare-node.html;jsessionid=09BB88D07219E0AFE240BEEEBF49C68D.2_cid359

From A2 to B1?  Aside form the Deutsche Welle course already mentioned (I found it a bit boring though good training and harder than the B1 test):

Duolingo - Start with the English learning German tree and then do the reverse tree once you're done.  The lessons are pretty good and the spaced repetition works well to drill things in

Memrise - A great place to grab some vocabulary ( choose a 5000 words sorted by frequency course and just start banging things out)

Kika news - I found this TV / podcast series to be a lot easier to understand than the Deutsche Welle Langam gesprochene Nachrichten and each episode is short

Lang-8 - For a B1 test, you're going to need to write at least 1 letter so you can practice here and get corrections from native speakers

Those would be the major ones I used.  If you can tolerate older games, try Adventure German from Goethe or bits of grammar drills from something like Grimm Grammar (I was never a fan of Nancy Thuleen's courses but some people swear by them.)

By all means, as others have said, read (anything from flyers to topics of interest to rolling info on U-Bahns) and try to get a tandem (both Conversation Exchange and Erstnachhilfe are good places to start as well as any Meetup groups / Facebook groups in your area).  Good luck!

Thanks for everyone's advice! @chooyo those are a lot of really great ideas! 

I went to the KVR today and got my Aufenthaltsgenehmegung processed finally!! The woman there just told me that Im required to take an integrations course (which I was under the impression that Americans weren't REQUIRED to do so but I wanted to take one anyway) And @AlexTr you were entirely correct, they told me it would only be 1 euro per hour and that if you do well then you get half of the cost back at the end of it. In total the course will come to about 800 euro, 400 if you do well :/ but its cheaper than paying for a normal language course so no complaints here!

Thanks again guys, you were all tremendous help! 

On 28/06/2017, 18:43:08, chooyo said:

Duolingo - Start with the English learning German tree and then do the reverse tree once you're done.  The lessons are pretty good and the spaced repetition works well to drill things in

+1 for Duolingo as an additional aid to help you.

I was also ''by intergration course once'' I think it was german...The requirements for each language leverl - are very low according to the European Scale ;)

Well the thing is, the KVR said that I am required to take an integrations course. So whether it works or not, I don't exactly have a choice. 

The nice thing is you can choose which course caters to your personal needs. For instance, they have business related german or german classes for women and classes that even help people become more proficient in reading and writing. So it kind of sounds like you get out of it what you put into it. 

I'm hoping for the best! 

Lang-8 seems to be not accepting new users, and directing people to an app called HiNative. Is there anybody who has tried, and can share first hand experience?