FedEx and EUSt

11 posts in this topic

A customer of mine in the US sends me packages via FedEx from time to time. Each time I get an import duties bill a couple days later.

FedEx tells me to apply for an EORI number, etc. which all seems like too much trouble to me, for occasional packages.

My question... the EUSt that I pay is an "import VAT" according to Google translate. My questions is which of these should I do with this fee... 1) write it off as a cost of business on my tax return (I think this is the right answer) or 2) get the money back via my monthly VAT filing. I assume that although the translation is import VAT, this is really import duties, and that's something different from the monthly VAT filing, but just checking.

Thanks.

This is what got me yesterday on the thread : import duties

You are paying import duty.

UPS charged me VAT (MwSt) on their brokerage charge.

The MwSt can surely go on your monthly tax return.

I see the brokerage charge and the import duty as business costs for you.

But the TT tax experts can give you a more qualified answer ;) 

If you're a Kleinuntermer it's alternative 1, if you're VAT-charging alternative 2.

Details in:

I'm not a Kleinunternehmer.

So in summary, when I get a FedEx bill, the "EUSt./Import VAT" costs can go on my monthly VAT report... I think as part of box 66.

The Vorlageprovision that they charge me would be a business cost, along with the actual shipping costs. The Umsatzsteuer applied

to the Vorlageprovision would also go into box 66.

Thanks.

Can I get partial credit for reading part of it? ;-)

Thank you for the correction.

On 21/06/2017, 07:42:42, StephenGermany said:

A customer of mine in the US sends me packages via FedEx from time to time. Each time I get an import duties bill a couple days later.

FedEx tells me to apply for an EORI number, etc. which all seems like too much trouble to me, for occasional packages.

My question... the EUSt that I pay is an "import VAT" according to Google translate. My questions is which of these should I do with this fee... 1) write it off as a cost of business on my tax return (I think this is the right answer) or 2) get the money back via my monthly VAT filing. I assume that although the translation is import VAT, this is really import duties, and that's something different from the monthly VAT filing, but just checking.

Thanks.

hey im importing somthing using fedex. just to clarify, what is this EORI number and how do you get it, is it a pain in the ass? my order is around 66 dollars so do you know how much the duties/taxes will be for this?

Really debated whether I should start a new question or add to this thread I started 4 years ago... but here goes...

So, back to the original post, I did as @PandaMunich suggested (as I always try to do), and got my import duties back

via my now quarterly VAT filing for the package in question. Some time later, I got another package (these are generally

electronics boards worth hundreds or thousands of euros). FedEx again pushed me to get an EORI number, so this time

I did it, and in the meantime, I got the VAT back for the package as I had before.

Now, I need to receive another package worth big bucks. Now that I have the EORI number, what do I do with it? Do I

have the sender put it on the shipping label? What does that actually accomplish? Will I not have to pay the tax and

then file to get it back, because they know it's going to a business, and they won't charge me in the first place? Or is this

just a legal requirement for businesses importing things, and they will use the number to track everything I receive,

and I will still be charged, and need to get the money back in my quarterly filing?

On a related note... technically, these items that are being shipped to me, are the property of my customers. It very well

may be that I will need to ship them back one day. If I do that, how can I indicate to German/US customs that the

items came to me from the US, and I am just returning their property? Does that help my customer avoid more customs

fees or give some other advantage? Should I be doing something differently when the customer sends me something,

to indicate that I am not taking ownership in the first place? It's unclear however that the customer will want the items

back.

Thank you!

Thank you. Since I had posted here about this years ago, my first instinct was to re-read what was written here, and then I immediately posted... subsequently, I also googled around... as you said, seems like something you have to do, which may speed things up through customs as compared to a private shipment, but will not affect having to pay the import duty and then claim it back again. Hope you are doing well @Straightpoop!

So, the latest chapter is that my customer sent me a printed circuit board I need for development work, which cost almost $6000... which the Zoll guys sat on for quite a while, and ended up asking me to give them a complete list of the ~1000 active and passive components on the board, to likely then ignore, and stick in a drawer somewhere. Anyway, I finally got the board after 10 days or so. And, I just got a bill from DHL for 1000€. The bulk is EUSt., so I can claim it back when I file my next quarterly report. Aside from EUSt., they charged a 39.58 Zölle (ZOLLEU) fee... and a "Zollservice and Zusatzleistungen" + MwSt. I think the latter fee is from DHL for handling customs for me, so the fee is a business expense, and the MwSt. I can claim back. I guess the Zölle fee is also just a business expense? Something else? So the Zoll charges me an import duty, and then a fee for providing me with this valuable service?

Anyway, did I do this correctly? There is no way to get out of paying the customs fee in the first place, even though they know I am a registered business? I have another one of these boards already on it's way to me. :(

Thank you!