Taxation on crypto currencies - please read before asking

252 posts in this topic

Can someone collaborate? Or at least explain if the rules are changed in the meantime?? Thank you!!

From what I understood

Holding for more than 12 months

1. Sales of crypto not taxable IF sold after 12 months of holding.

-------------

Holding less then 12 months (traders)

2. If sold before that - then up to 600 EUR profit - there is no tax

3. However, if profit is even one Euro more than 600 - then whole amount is taxed

hi Crypto Experts,

How do go about paying taxes on a bot trading cryptocurrencies on my behalf?

The bot can make 1000's of automatic transactions per month, how can I submit this much information to Finanzamt?

Or do I pay the profit for the capital gains only?

thanks in advance!

On 1/19/2021, 12:55:58, JustAskDima said:

hi Crypto Experts,

How do go about paying taxes on a bot trading cryptocurrencies on my behalf?

The bot can make 1000's of automatic transactions per month, how can I submit this much information to Finanzamt?

Or do I pay the profit for the capital gains only?

thanks in advance!

Dima was wondering if these algo trading platforms are any good? Would love to get some guidance here... 

I have a similar question to "aguy" in the previous page.

I happened to buy Bitcoin back in 2013 by sending fiat to an exchange (Kraken) and then transferring the crypto into my wallet.

Since then, I have done nothing with it as I am not interested in trading. However, it has since been suggested that I would not pay any tax while I am a tax resident in Germany if I converted it back to fiat (EUR) now.

Quick check: the fact that I bought it when I was NOT a tax resident of Germany (2013) does not alter this?

[I can prove that I funded the money to the Kraken exchange, as they provide a way to "export your transaction history", although it is a rather feeble and, to my mind, dubious-looking excel file that provides no real detail at all, i.e. it looks like something a child could print out at home.]

Second part of question. I am not actually interested in selling my crypto for fiat, but I have been looking into depositing it with Bitwala, who offer interest and, also good, a non-custodial wallet.

I get completely that I should pay tax on interest and I believe that Bitwala offers a service which calculates all you need for submitting any tax return.

All that is fine. But what if you withdraw a bit of cash through an ATM using their debit card (after selling crypto for fiat)? Would you need to specially provide all the information to the tax authorities so they do not come chasing after you, because otherwise who is to say that you really have owned this crypto for more than a year? Also... what if you have both? Crypto since 2013 and some you bought last week. If you withdraw cash today, how do you decided FROM WHICH crypto you have cashed out, i.e. taxable or not taxable?

I have a simple question on tax declaration for Cryptos. I am a German Tax resident. 

I understand clearly that if you buy and hold a Bitcoin for 12 months  and sell it AFTER 12 months there are no taxes on the same. Assuming I don't do anything with the coin except lock it in a wallet and sell it after 12 months .

My question is do I even have to bother telling the Finanzamt that Yes, I did buy a coin in January 2020 and I sold it in Feb  2021( After 12 months) and well I did make a Euro 10K gain on the same.

....or there is absolutely no need to mention anything at all as  profits were booked only after 12 months?

22 hours ago, Shanks008 said:

I have a simple question on tax declaration for Cryptos. I am a German Tax resident. 

I understand clearly that if you buy and hold a Bitcoin for 12 months  and sell it AFTER 12 months there are no taxes on the same. Assuming I don't do anything with the coin except lock it in a wallet and sell it after 12 months .

My question is do I even have to bother telling the Finanzamt that Yes, I did buy a coin in January 2020 and I sold it in Feb  2021( After 12 months) and well I did make a Euro 10K gain on the same.

...or there is absolutely no need to mention anything at all as  profits were booked only after 12 months?

there is no need to mention if it is more than 12 months

On 2/25/2021, 10:24:54, kapil354 said:

there is no need to mention if it is more than 12 months

Thanks Kapil354. I will convey this to my Steuerberater who is surprised that Germany doesn't tax crypto gains made after 1 year:-). 

Do you know if there is any written statement to this effect from the Finanzamt that I can show my Stuerberater ? like a para describing rules connected to the same?

On 21/01/2021, 12:19:12, kapil354 said:

Dima was wondering if these algo trading platforms are any good? Would love to get some guidance here... 

yes, you can make from 0.01% to 10% daily gain. RevenueBot is the easiest to use, plenty of alternatives too.

They only problem they make 100's of transactions per day so you need CoinTracking account for your tax report.

A little bit off topic, but does anyone know of any banks/institutes that offer loans against Bitcoins?

I think something like „Lombardkredit“ in German. I contacted Augsburger Aktienbank but they were pretty futile