Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

poorly timed updates from microsoft

9 posts in this topic

So there I was, doing an important financial transaction on my computer, when a small pop up appears. I clicked the X button to get rid of it as I do not liked to be disturbed when I am working.

The next thing I know is that I am getting microsoft updates, against my will and I cannot use  my computer for quite some time. By the time the updates had loaded, I was locked out of my bank account. And I still am. Why cant I choose when to have these updates downloaded? Instead of having  no say in the matter.

Colin

If you are using Windows 10, there is actually a fair bit of flexibility built-in--go to Settings=>Updates & Security, then peruse the various update options.

While I am generally not interrupted by updates/restarts while I'm working, this leads to another problem:  when I turn off my laptop when I am ready to go home, but the updates then take 30 minutes.  Of course at that point I'll usually just leave the laptop at work.  And then sometimes it takes the freaking updates 30 minutes to finish installing once you restart the computer...

I thought  you could go into settings and turn off updates. I'm not an IT person and I f....ing hate Microsoft but I'm sure there's someone here who can advise you.

Turning off updates is a really bad idea and irresponsible, because it creates significant security risks for you and for others--don't you read the papers?  

Go to the setting page I mentioned above, you can at least minimize the hassle factor while keeping your computer secure.

1 hour ago, naberlin said:

And then sometimes it takes the freaking updates 30 minutes to finish installing once you restart the computer...

how long should major updates take?

hmmm, how long should they take, or how long do they take?

Usually updates don't last more than about 5 minutes (usually when shutting down, sometimes when starting up too), but last week or the week before I had one that must have taken half an hour when I started up--the computer had to reboot several times.  It was very annoying, but much less annoying than having my computer taken over by ransomware.

Hi CC,

I once had a computer that didn't receive updates in 4 months, which led to 6 months... And by the time I decided to care, it was too late. Just bought a new budget laptop from Media markt for 400 Euros... Consider your Lost Time money saved, and maybe you learned the lesson not to hit the x Everytime.

Goodluck!

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nick said:

I got the option to delay the update check it next time before x-ing it.

Same here and the latest one a day or two ago only took 5 minutes.