Microsoft updates taking place without my asking

18 posts in this topic

So there I was, doing an important financial transaction on my computer, when a small pop up appears. I clicked the X button to get rid of it as I do not liked to be disturbed when I am working.

The next thing I know is that I am getting microsoft updates, against my will and I cannot use  my computer for quite some time. By the time the updates had loaded, I was locked out of my bank account. And I still am. Why cant I choose when to have these updates downloaded? Instead of having  no say in the matter.

Colin

If you are using Windows 10, there is actually a fair bit of flexibility built-in--go to Settings=>Updates & Security, then peruse the various update options.

While I am generally not interrupted by updates/restarts while I'm working, this leads to another problem:  when I turn off my laptop when I am ready to go home, but the updates then take 30 minutes.  Of course at that point I'll usually just leave the laptop at work.  And then sometimes it takes the freaking updates 30 minutes to finish installing once you restart the computer...

I thought  you could go into settings and turn off updates. I'm not an IT person and I f....ing hate Microsoft but I'm sure there's someone here who can advise you.

Turning off updates is a really bad idea and irresponsible, because it creates significant security risks for you and for others--don't you read the papers?  

Go to the setting page I mentioned above, you can at least minimize the hassle factor while keeping your computer secure.

1 hour ago, naberlin said:

And then sometimes it takes the freaking updates 30 minutes to finish installing once you restart the computer...

how long should major updates take?

hmmm, how long should they take, or how long do they take?

Usually updates don't last more than about 5 minutes (usually when shutting down, sometimes when starting up too), but last week or the week before I had one that must have taken half an hour when I started up--the computer had to reboot several times.  It was very annoying, but much less annoying than having my computer taken over by ransomware.

Hi CC,

I once had a computer that didn't receive updates in 4 months, which led to 6 months... And by the time I decided to care, it was too late. Just bought a new budget laptop from Media markt for 400 Euros... Consider your Lost Time money saved, and maybe you learned the lesson not to hit the x Everytime.

Goodluck!

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nick said:

I got the option to delay the update check it next time before x-ing it.

Same here and the latest one a day or two ago only took 5 minutes.

Microsoft update, just been without internet for 4 weeks, in the week we've had it back, we've been hit with wave after wave of updates, mainly from Microsoft that has eaten up the 5GB monthly allowance. I know I've been told don't switch off updates because "it creates significant security risks for you and for others" (Naberlin, above) but FFS just what gives these tossers the right to waltz into your PC, take it over then use up the allowance that you've paid for. The advice not to switch off updates probably originated from those who send the updates so of course, it wouldn't be in their interest for people to switch them off. As for what has changed on my PC - I've got lots of nice new screen savers from MS and probably new software to spy on my PC's content. So, with things like Norton, the banks having their own security system, Google's Spam filter,and the use of common sense, just how does MS enhance the security of my PC?

The way I look at it is that if your went to a dealer and bought a new car, then a week later the dealer said "we need your car back, we need to patch something up", the a few days later said" we think theres a fault with such and such, we need your car back to sort it out" then later said "We ARE taking over your car to give it lots of new things whether you want them or not" you would say "No you're not, you've obviously sold me something that isn't that good so take it back and reimburse me" So why do we let IT do that to us?

26 minutes ago, French bean said:

Microsoft update, just been without internet for 4 weeks, in the week we've had it back, we've been hit with wave after wave of updates, mainly from Microsoft that has eaten up the 5GB monthly allowance. I know I've been told don't switch off updates because "it creates significant security risks for you and for others" (Naberlin, above) but FFS just what gives these tossers the right to waltz into your PC, take it over then use up the allowance that you've paid for. The advice not to switch off updates probably originated from those who send the updates so of course, it wouldn't be in their interest for people to switch them off.

Somewhere in the WiFi configuration you can choose if that particular WiFi connection is metered.   If that parameter is activated then the Windows Updates will be delayed.  You can then manually choose to install some without blowing all your data.   It works only for WLAN, you can do this with LAN connections.

The metered connection parameter will help you to save data in different things, no only with updates.

We use a USB stick and with Norton updates, they actually state that they have noted we are metered, however we get nothing from MS, is there something in settings for MS10 that does something similar?

On my notebook, it gives me 4 options, 1 is download and install automatically, 2 is download but only install when I say so, 3 is find and notify about updates but don't download or install unless I say so and 4 is don't look for updates at all.  If I am with slow internet or little time, I put it to 3.  It will find the updates and notify me and I can install them later when I have a chance.

You need to go into your Windows Update settings, @French bean. As LeonG says, you can change the setting for installing updates there - or at least you could under Windows 7 - under "Change Settings" (Einstellungen ändern in German).

Hi, 

Normally I wouldn't suggest disabling updates due to obvious reasons, but I understand that some people have to due to monthly data limit. 

On Windows 10, you can disable installing updates, but it isn't possible to disable downloading them (not by a simple click like on Win7 anyway). However, there is a workaround you can use to do it. 

NOTE: BE SURE TO WRITE IT DOWN SO YOU CAN BACKTRACK AND RE-ENABLE IT IF YOU EVER WISH TO UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM AGAIN

1. In the search bar of your PC (Start Button) type in "Network Status" (or find it in settings) - click to open the settings 
  2. Navigate to Ethernet (or Wi-Fi) depending on the connection type
  3. Click "Change connection properties" 
  4. Look for "Metered Connection" section 
  5. Make sure you set it to ON

This should stop the system from automatically downloading updates as you just "told" your PC that your connection has a limited data plan. This method doesn't work for all users (don't ask me why, have no idea except that it should work). 

If it doesn't, use workaround 2 below.

WORKAROUND 2 

This one is the one you really want to write down so you can backtrack. Note: This is only doable on Professional, Enterprise and Educational versions of Win10. 

1. Navigate to Group Policy Editor - you can do this by simply typing it into the search bar, or type gpedit.msc there and hit Enter. 
  2. On the left hand side there will be a column of folders. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  3. Now on the right hand side of the window look for "Configure Automatic Updates" and open it (double click) and a new window will open
  4. Click on "Enabled" in the upper left hand corner
  5. Look for Options (it's directly under the step Number 4. 
  6. Under "Configure automatic updating:" Tab select your prefered method of delivery. Since you don't want updates downloading at all you want to select "Notify for download and notify for install"
  7. Now go back to the Windows Update in the settings. If everything is done correctly you should see the new setting enforced there. In red letters it should say: Some settings are managed by your organization. 

If you want to re-enable everything you need to back track and set everything back to default settings. 

Hope this helps!