O2 - DSL Activation date changed without notifying the customer?

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I tried posting this in both German and English in the O2 forums but no one could help, hopefully I'l get better advice on the situation in this awesome community.

If anyone is interested in the original link: O2 Forums - Ihr Aktivierungstermin hat sich leider geändert?

I added some extra content here that I couldn't provide in the forum because of my limited German ^_^

I made a contract with O2 on the first June, the appointment for the Telekom employee had the date "19.06" so I reserved a day from my Holidays to deal with that.Yesterday I saw my DSL order status on the website and the date was no longer on 19.06, but on 29.06!

I was not informed about the change, no SMS, no email, how is that possible?

When the appointment is really for 29.06 instead of the original date this is a huge dishonestly from the part of the whole company.

I am considering canceling the contract. Calling the Hotline is a no-go, I waited more than 4 hours and no one could explain anything.

What can the client do in this situation?

Offtopic: In a lot of countries there are regulation companies that prevent this kind of thing/abuse from happening (I never lived anywhere where a Internet connection would take more than 2 days to be connected), here I can't even find the right place to fill a complain.

If you are simply going to answer "Please have a little patience": I work from home and can not make money without Internet at the end of the month. please put yourself in my situation.

-- Update: 19.06

Once again tried contacting the client service and no one could tell me the reason for the change of date, once again as usual blaming "Telekom" instead of providing a valid and truthful answer.

As I am not aware of the telecommunications law in Germany (it seems nonexistent) I will be canceling the contract next week and applying EU law instead.

"Subscriptions to internet providers" (inc. but not limited)

The internet provider must also:

- notify you well in advance if they want to change the contract (activation day was 19.06)
- allow you to withdraw from the contract without penalty if you don't accept any of the new conditions

As written on the papers I received with the contract, the activation date is on: 19.06
Nowhere in the contract is specified that the date could be changed without warning.

This represents a breach of the contract and motive to a rightful cancellation (Kündigungsfrist).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.. cancel it...

Then start the process again with the next provider.. get jerked around by them... Cancel them too and so on... 

By end of September, you should have pissed them all off and still have no Internet.

11 minutes ago, Mywk said:

I never lived anywhere where a Internet connection would take more than 2 days to be connected.

Don't move to Greece then!

1 minute ago, Uncle Nick said:

Don't move to Greece then!

I have some Greek friends and understand what you mean :D

It's regardless funny to be in Germany, a place where everything is supposed to be so "advanced" and the customers have no protection against this kind of abuse.

I'l use as an example Portugal here, most homes have at least 100Mb internet connection if you are living in the city and usually the next day someone will be at your place to do the installation.

4 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

You are correct.. cancel it...

Then start the process again with the next provider.. get jerked around by them... Cancel them too and so on... 

By end of September, you should have pissed them all off and still have no Internet.

So what you are saying is that getting myself a lawyer and getting them to answer to the damages is useless because it's going to be the same no matter what?

Telekom provides a nice alternative, including Hybrid internet which gives you a SIM card that's activated within 24h, providing internet access before the DSL line is actually connected..

Hybrid SIM cards are only active on the date of the line activation... You may be lucky and for a small fee Telekom will rent you a portable hit spot for a few weeks

Just now, SpiderPig said:

Hybrid SIM cards are only active on the date of the line activation... You may be lucky and for a small fee Telekom will rent you a portable hit spot for a few weeks

It seems like a good alternative, I will re-check with O2 if they are whiling to give me more Mobile data meanwhile, thanks for the advice!

This lack of coordination between the companies that rent the lines and the lines monopoly is just something I was not expecting..

I apologize for using other EU-Countries as reference, it's easier to compare something to my previous experiences.

21 hours ago, Mywk said:

I never lived anywhere where a Internet connection would take more than 2 days to be connected

They still use fax here as an active means of communication. That should tell you something. 

Well, the Telekom employee came today and made the new connection (apparently my connection was using a "shared-line" for some reason so he had to do a new one (Verteilerkasten -> APL -> TAE) which works with twice the speed I had before).

O2 was "nice" enough to admit the error and increased my LTE traffic form 1GB to 2GB for this month (after calling them more than 10 times and ONLY when I said the words "I'm cancelling the contract").

The "not informing the client" is regardless bad business practice but what's done is done, as a mobile service I'l still recommend O2, for DSL? No way, they have the worst DSL client service I ever seen!

/close