Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Private email wrongly sent to my email address, using my name

23 posts in this topic

This is the most weird thing and a bit disturbing.

Let's say my name is Jane Doe. And my email address is js.doe1951@gmail.com.

I have just received a private email from someone called Peter Doe, cc'd to two people: margaret something, and jane.doe@gmail.com.

It's a genuine email. Peter is discussing a family conflict, in some detail, about an uncle and some kind of serious estrangement in the family. It's obviously real.

How could an email addressed to jane.doe@gmail.com, end up in the inbox of js.doe1951@gmail.com?

There is certainly a real Jane Doe, because that is the email address I first wanted and it was already taken. So it's a real email address for a real person.

It doesn't make sense. 

Sorry for the slightly convoluted subject title; hard to describe situation. SOmeone should complain somewhere, but where?

There is a separate thread on this topic somewhere on this forum with an explanation of why this occurs (although it still seems very odd)...

I have had the same thing happening with a gmail account for several years, I have john.smith@gmail.com and my doppleganger must have johnsmith@gmail.com (or something), so I think at some some of the time it must just be an incorrect e-mail address. If the e-mail looks super important I will respond to the sender letting them know it went to the wrong place, otherwise I let them figure it out...

I had had the same problem for years and I never found any explanation. I think I made a thread here about it some time ago.

Google do not consider dots '.' as part of the email address. So First.Last is the same as FirstLast. But that's not my case and it does not look like yours.

I have received things that look very important, at the beginning I always replied explaining that the email was not for me, but with the time I've got tired of it and I just ignore them.

But my email is not firstname.lastname or any alternative. It does not contain my first name at all, just firest letter and another letter and a dot.

I'll look for that other thread, or if someone else can find it? I'd like to know. I did reply to the original sender...

Actually I think the explanation on that thread is the same one given by Krieg, so it might not help; but IIRC the tread was pretty long so maybe some similar instances to yours are described on there.

If this is google, you wouldn't see Jane Doe in the cc, but 'me' ? Or does it actually say 'me' next to the Jane Doe email address ? Otherwise I would suspect it has been sent to Jane Doe and you (maybe via some remote google circles ?)

What do you see when you click on "show original" ?

I found the other thread, and here is Krieg's explanation. My situation is a little different to the OP's in that thread and to several others, in that it is the first and only time it ever happened -- I never realised it was so common! I wrote the person who sent it as well as the jane.doe@gmail.com and have not yet heard back.

It's worrying because if it happened the other was around some important and confidential info could get to the wrong person.

I really thought emails addresses were totally unique. Here's me a little bit wiser now.

1 hour ago, Marianne013 said:

If this is google, you wouldn't see Jane Doe in the cc, but 'me' ? Or does it actually say 'me' next to the Jane Doe email address ? Otherwise I would suspect it has been sent to Jane Doe and you (maybe via some remote google circles ?)

What do you see when you click on "show original" ?

No it doesn't have "me", it has jane.doe@etc.

It's weird mostly because I don't have 'jane' at all in the address.

However, and this is recent, I have recently added a signature to my emails which has my name Jane Doe as well as a website www.janedoe.com. I wonder if that's the reason.

47 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I have recently added a signature to my emails which has my name Jane Doe...

Oh dear, I hope you don't get a load of MEs claiming your body! ;)

My problem is sorted out. I wrote to the next person that thought they were writing to the other person that I was abandoning the account and any email received would linger there for eternity. 

I didn't abandon the account but I haven't got any more of the guy's email.

@arunadasi I recently received a 4 paragraph long email from a home-schooling mom discussing her children at length and her travel schedule. She addressed me by first name at the beginning of the email and then proceeded. I sent her a return email saying "wrong Alextr" and she responded by thanking me for telling her. I still wondered how she got my email. So, I entered her email in the search box at the top of my gmail account and, voila, found that she had my email through a big group email by the alumnae chair of my university. I recommnded you give this a shot to find out if the sender has you in their email address book as a result of such an email. Then, just entering your first name in his "to" section on a new email could allow him to add you to the email if he isn't paying attention. If you are "Jane" and someone else is also "Jane" you will both come up.

Its a great way for a mail bot to confirm harvested email adresses!

Well done!  

Let the spam begin!

another one!

sent to myname318@gmail.com:

Dear  Myfirstname,
Still waiting to get our stand for our TV which is still in the box. I see you are now battling fires along with the dry heat. We are still getting plenty of rain, 5 inches two nights ago.

I went out for some beers with Rod Sears on Friday and he asked if I had Mom's peanut butter cookie recipe. I said really didn't. He said those were the best cookies he has ever had. So I was wondering if you had the recipe and know how to make them and could maybe learn from you over the get-together weekend?

We are planning on travelling on Thursday to Bismarck and then leaving either on Sunday or Monday. I know that Delon is coming on Wednesday next week as well.
We can certainly help with whatever you need on Thursday night, Friday and Saturday and cleanup on Sunday.

Thanks,
Love,
Dana

9 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

another one!

sent to myname318@gmail.com:

If you do not know this person, it is a phishing scam- do not reply, block it.

9 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

If you do not know this person, it is a phishing scam- do not reply, block it.

OK thanks.

These mails sound so genuine. WHy go to all that trouble?