TK health insurance decided I'm a full time freelancer and took all my money!

13 posts in this topic

I filled out the health insurance income form saying that I work 40 hours a week last year freelancing. I probably shouldn't have said that because now TK has decided that since I'm working more than 20 hours a week, I should be making 2100EUR/month for every month in last year (I wasn't) and now wants to take 95% of my money from my bank account!

I will never survive like this! Plus for the next two months (I handed in my cancellation) they will still charge me 400EUR per month! This is on an income of 1000, what can I do?

If I say that I didn't actually work 40 hours a week, will they still accept it? How can I negotiate with them?

Please read this post and check whether you fulfil the conditions listed in there:

If you don't fulfil all these conditions, they are unfortunately in their right:

And to add on to Pandas responses:

If they are right, you could find some private insurance.  I had this situation years ago, and managed to get a barebones private insurance for 250 a month.  However, it sucks because the deductible was so high that i never crossed it, so i was paying the insurance AND out of pocket.   This was years ago though, things may have changed.

8 hours ago, ritchan said:

I filled out the health insurance income form saying that I work 40 hours a week last year freelancing. I probably shouldn't have said that because now TK has decided that since I'm working more than 20 hours a week, I should be making 2100EUR/month for every month in last year (I wasn't) and now wants to take 95% of my money from my bank account!

I will never survive like this! Plus for the next two months (I handed in my cancellation) they will still charge me 400EUR per month! This is on an income of 1000, what can I do?

They don't actually care if you make less than 2100 because there is a minimum amount for a self employed person.  Read through Panda's post about all the conditions you would have to fulfill to fit through the loophole to get it lowered, if not, you'll have to think of something else.

Canceling it doesn't mean you get out of paying unless you replace it with another approved insurance.  Like Joanie said, some self employed have resorted to getting private insurance with a very high deductible meaning that the insurance is less expensive but if you need something, you are paying out of pocket up to a pretty high amount until the insurance kicks in.

13 hours ago, ritchan said:

This is on an income of 1000, what can I do?

Just to ad on: You need to rethink your whole situation. An income (turnaround? profit?) of only 1000 is not enough – either you need to earn more with freelancing or you need to look for a job as an employee.

And think once again: private insurance is a one way road. You will never be able to be accepted to public again (there are many exceptions and loopholes, but they can be closed at any time by politicians). Private will charge you more and more as you get older, in the end you will end up paying way more than public.

Think twice about it, and maybe find more customers instead. Or take a Nebenjob to supplement your income. 

14 hours ago, ritchan said:

If I say that I didn't actually work 40 hours a week, will they still accept it? How can I negotiate with them?

As Leon points out, you cannot cancel till you prove you have a replacement health insurance replacement. But which one? Another public one wouldn't help you financially.

Private German insurance? Maybe but: do you have a long term residence permit ( I notice you are Malaysian )? Are you healthy - really healthy ? Is your credit ranking (Schufa ) ok ? Private insurers check that immediately when they get an application...

You may well also find they would not be impressed by your income as a freelancer--most companies might see 1,000 euros a month income as a reason not to wish to have you as their client...

It's a tough one all round and, as others write, you either need to increase your income or become an employee.

Immediate disclaimer: I am self-employed and voluntarily publicly medically insured.

I strongly suggest you do NOT go for private medical insurance. (However, this will admittedly depend on whether you intend staying in Germany.)

Reason: private medical insurance is only advantageous if you are young, fit, healthy and single with no dependents.

As you get older, private medical insurance gets more expensive. Not a good deal - except if you don't intend staying in Germany.

I obviously don't know whether you intend staying here and marrying and having kids. If you do, public medical insurance is the way to go as your (non-earning) wife and kids would be insured free of charge.

I was in your position just a few years ago where they plonked the €2,100 minimum on me. My solution was to go to my accountant (Steuerberater), who did some magic tricks and vastly reduced my demonstrable monthly income, whereupon my medical insurance fund vastly reduced my monthly contribution.

SO: If you are self-employed and haven't got an accountant, get one. Now's good, yesterday would be better.

I entirely agree that the €2,100 minimum level is unrealistic but at the moment, it's the reality. So get an accountant, like yesterday.

The suggestion about part-time waged/salaried employment is also good.

Good luck.

PS:

Comments from johng also appreciated.

1 hour ago, onemark said:

Immediate disclaimer: I am self-employed and voluntarily publicly medically insured.

I strongly suggest you do NOT go for private medical insurance. (However, this will admittedly depend on whether you intend staying in Germany.)

Reason: private medical insurance is only advantageous if you are young, fit, healthy and single with no dependents.

As you get older, private medical insurance gets more expensive. Not a good deal - except if you don't intend staying in Germany.

I obviously don't know whether you intend staying here and marrying and having kids. If you do, public medical insurance is the way to go as your (non-earning) wife and kids would be insured free of charge.

I was in your position just a few years ago where they plonked the €2,100 minimum on me. My solution was to go to my accountant (Steuerberater), who did some magic tricks and vastly reduced my demonstrable monthly income, whereupon my medical insurance fund vastly reduced my monthly contribution.

SO: If you are self-employed and haven't got an accountant, get one. Now's good, yesterday would be better.

I entirely agree that the €2,100 minimum level is unrealistic but at the moment, it's the reality. So get an accountant, like yesterday.

The suggestion about part-time waged/salaried employment is also good.

Good luck.

PS:

Comments from johng also appreciated.

Comments from johng🙏🏻

The assessment of every individual's personal circumstances is always very complex-EVEN if we have a full picture ( not normally the case on a thread here for obvious reasons )! 

One major issue is the system itself- it is true that private health insurances go up in price over the years ( but NOT because of an individual client's age- THAT is the case with private international health insurance contracts ). There are many factors: the viability of a particular private insurance tariff eg full of old people or not, general medical inflation and equally eg politics! 

Changes to laws eg the introduction of Unisex tariffs a few years ago, can lead to increased costs for businesses, which are passed on.

The public health system also has disadvantages as a person gets older because their income may well increase as they go up their professional ladder whether as employees or self-employed and the contribution to public health insurance is income-based! Many self-employed, perhaps especially young professionals ,  and maybe ambitious in their IT stuff with their own small businesses , resent having to pay up to  800 euros a month for public health  insurance! 

Which healthy-ish 25 year old self-employed can see the point of paying so much? After all, many of our clients, for example, come from countries with a decent public health insurance system and pay much, much less there. 

The problem is the German system.

By the way, no crystal ball is available- no one can give a professional answer as to what anyone will pay for either public or private health insurance in Germany in 20/30/40 years time.

This makes professional advice more difficult, on the one hand , but it is important for me personally to explain to enquirers how the system is right now and which options they have (if any!😿).

1. half of your 2014 family income (= of your_income + your_partner's_income), minus 20% of the Bezugsgröße (since you have a kid) is lower than 30/40 * Bezugsgröße = 2,073.75€ (in 2014):
    0.5 * (your_income + your_partner's_income - 0.2*Bezugsgröße) < 2,073.75€
    So they basically assume that half your family income "belongs" to you, and reserve a bit for the needs of the child. AND
  2. your capital income in 2014 was less than 801€ (if you're married: your family capital income was less than 1,602€). AND
  3. neither you or your partner/spouse had any rental income, no matter in what country (or rental losses). AND
  4. neither your assets or your partner's/spouse's assets are worth more than 4 * Bezugsgröße = 11,060€.

Let's see:

1. my family (I guess that consists of me only) earned more than the 2100 EUR limit for 5 months last year.

2. my capital income is less than 801 EUR? Is this like 'post tax income' or something? I don't know how this is different from simple income (pre-tax).

3. pass - I have no rental income

4. pass - I have a simple life.

Am I interpreting things correctly?

onemark: I am young, fit, healthy and single. However, they said they plonked the 2100 EUR thing on me because I was working 40 hours a week for some time to earn that 2500 EUR. Would an accountant that reduces my apparent income really help in this case?

john g: Hmm, I don't have a long term residence permit. However I'm okay on all other fronts. Well, it's not like I plan on staying at 1000 EUR income.

yourkeau: you can check out sMart DE, they 'employ' you so you get back on public insurance.

1 hour ago, ritchan said:

Let's see:

1. my family (I guess that consists of me only) earned more than the 2100 EUR limit for 5 months last year.

2. my capital income is less than 801 EUR? Is this like 'post tax income' or something? I don't know how this is different from simple income (pre-tax).

3. pass - I have no rental income

4. pass - I have a simple life.

Am I interpreting things correctly?

onemark: I am young, fit, healthy and single. However, they said they plonked the 2100 EUR thing on me because I was working 40 hours a week for some time to earn that 2500 EUR. Would an accountant that reduces my apparent income really help in this case?

john g: Hmm, I don't have a long term residence permit. However I'm okay on all other fronts. Well, it's not like I plan on staying at 1000 EUR income.

yourkeau: you can check out sMart DE, they 'employ' you so you get back on public insurance.

@

1 hour ago, ritchan said:

@Ritchan you can check out sMart DE,...who offers such service...I'm also interested to know...

12 hours ago, ritchan said:

Capital income is income you created from capital, i.e. income from investing money. It is things like interest and dividends.

12 hours ago, ritchan said:

I am already with public health insurance, thank you.

I wrote: there are many loopholes, but they can be closed at any time. It's better to regard this as a one way road.

I would say, unless you have a very established profession with prospective of good stable income for life, better think twice before going private.

Nothing prevents lawmakers from adopting a law which prevents going back to public via a 1 month McDonalds job.