Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

living in a rented apartment- can i have sleeping guests ?

8 posts in this topic

Dear all

I live in a rented apartment.

Can i have guests sleeping in my apartment for maximum 2-3 days ?

Do i have to announce the owner , or i am legally allowed to have guests in my rented apartment without announcing the owner ?

Prior to having  any guest stay overnight in a rented flat the landlord must come over to meet each one of them to give his approval. He will also take pictures of them and request to be shown their legal identification documents of which he will make copies and place in a safe for up to at least one year. 

After the guest leave, he will request to come over to inspect the apartment to ensure there was no damage from heavy partying or any  nefarious activity may have taken place on his property.  He will also check the water meters before and after to document the water usage. 

Landlords must also be notified of said guest coming to visit at least one month in advance so he can prepare and schedule a meeting date with the tenant. 

After a guest has stayed longer than six weeks, he or she could be considered to reside at the flat and the landlord needs to give his permission. A few days is absolutely no problem. Sometimes landlords don't allow overnight guests, or try to ban guests of the tenants opposite gender. These prescriptions should be ignored. The tenant has the right to enjoy the property she's paying for and is allowed to have guests as far as they remain guests (they don't actually move indefinitely). You don't have to tell the owner, in fact, you shouldn't. It's none of his business.

22 minutes ago, Smaug said:

After a guest has stayed longer than six weeks, he or she could be considered to reside at the flat and the landlord needs to give his permission. A few days is absolutely no problem. Sometimes landlords don't allow overnight guests, or try to ban guests of the tenants opposite gender. These prescriptions should be ignored. The tenant has the right to enjoy the property she's paying for and is allowed to have guests as far as they remain guests (they don't actually move indefinitely). You don't have to tell the owner, in fact, you shouldn't. It's none of his business.

Thanx for the clarifications

I can confirm the 6 week rule.  As far as I know (without knowing anything official) you can basically use the apartment however you like and have people stay over as you like as long as it's legitimate friends/family visitors and you aren't abusing it or making money off of it.

Once someone stays for 6 weeks, you're required to inform the landlord and it could increase your portion of the utility costs when they calculate the utility settlement for the year.

No idea about anything Lavender Rain said.. if that's true then I've never done any of that.

8 hours ago, TheSpin said:

I can confirm the 6 week rule. 

[...]

No idea about anything Lavender Rain said.. if that's true then I've never done any of that.

Joke warning! (aka sarcasm)