Moving to Stuttgart and need advice about where to live, schools, etc.

15 posts in this topic

Hi !

I've got a job offer from Daimler in Stuttgart. I am from EU. I will start August 1st.

I will come alone at first, try to find an apartment, then bring my wife and my 7 yr daughter.

I am probably limited to the school near the apartment I can find.

I read a lot on this forum, but I still have some unanswered questions. If you could help me with these questions I will be grateful:

1. Which areas of Stuttgart I should narrow my apartment search ? With school and metro nearby.

I prefer to use the public transport to work (which is on Siemensstraße 7)

2. I looked on immoscout24. Do you think that it is feasible to rent a 2 bedroom (3 zimmer) apartment, kitchen included, for 1200 euros?

Is 1500 euros/month including electricity, heating, utilities feasible ? Or am I too optimistic ?

3. Any public school in Stuttgart will accept my daughter ? Or only schools that have special classes for foreign pupils? She will have only 2 months of german private lessons, not enough by any means.

4. Since in 2017 I will only work for 5 months, would I pay income tax based on entire yearly salary, or only on the 5 months salary, which means the monthly net salary will be more in the first year ?

Thank you for taking time to answer

Mihai

Right, after @trr answered your question #1, I'll continue with question #2:

It all depends on the square metres of the flat: The rent should be somewhere between €10 and €15 per sqm. We live in an older house (built in the 1930s), our flat is about 100 sqm (not counting the balcony), it came with a kitchen and we pay €11/sqm - plus Nebenkosten.

It depends on which part of town you want to live in; we're in West and friends of ours live in a high-rise block (think GDR Plattenbau) in Hallschlag and they don't pay significantly less than we do. So either we're really lucky or they are being ripped off :P

I just had a quick look in yesterday's Wochenblatt, there is a 3-ZW in S-Stammheim (also 100 sqm) for €800 Kaltmiete. And the Mietgesuche for 3-ZW show that you're bang on with your expectations, most of them are actually looking for flats with rents below your budget, so you should be okay.

Right, who is going to answer question #3? :)

Thank you for your answers.

Regarding #1: I don't need to stay near Siemensstrasse. Anywhere in Stuttgart, with condition that there is a U/S-bahn nearby.

My question was about which are nice, safe neighborhoods in Stuttgart, but not too expensive.

Regards

Mihai

28 minutes ago, MihaiP said:

Regarding #1: I don't need to stay near Siemensstrasse. Anywhere in Stuttgart, with condition that there is a U/S-bahn nearby.

Generally public transport is very good all over Stuttgart, you'll be nowhere far away from bus, Stadtbahn or S-Bahn. See a line map here. 

My question was about which are nice, safe neighborhoods in Stuttgart, but not too expensive.

There are no "unsafe" neighborhoods in S, the difficulties start with "not too expensive". ;) Stuttgart is expensive, one of the most expensive cities in Germany. Not as bad (yet) as Munich but close. Especially when it comes to re-leasing those days (renters sitting are better off).

Have a look at this Stuttgart map to get an impression of the rents – those are for 2 rooms, 70sqm and picturing the avereage prices. Sitting renters mostly pay much less, new renters often much more - especially when they don't have 12 months or so to look for a flat but need one asap.

I'd have a look at S-Feuerbach - nice in the most parts, green, lots of families, close to Siemensstrasse and affordable.

On 6/14/2017, 4:23:01, MihaiP said:

...4. Since in 2017 I will only work for 5 months, would I pay income tax based on entire yearly salary, or only on the 5 months salary, which means the monthly net salary will be more in the first year ?

IIRC, you'll be taxed based on the entire year. So when you file your taxes the next year, you'll get a buttload of money back! But if you want more information on that, please peruse the Finance forum.

3. Any public school in Stuttgart will accept my daughter ? Or only schools that have special classes for foreign pupils? She will have only 2 months of german private lessons, not enough by any means...

Most kids start 1st grade between 6 and 7 years, so your child will start 1st grade. It'll be a challenge for him/her, but the earlier a kid learns a foreign language, the better, so you're kid will have a few months of a struggle, but will easily grab the language skills necessary to excel in a German school. Obviously, some private tutoring beforehand is always helpful. It would be better to get your kid enrolled right at the start of the school year, not wait many months, but if that's not possible, then what can you do.

2 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

There are no "unsafe" neighborhoods in S, the difficulties start with "not too expensive". ;)

Well, there are more desirable areas (like Killesberg) and less desirable ones, like Hallschlag or Raitelsberg. They're not exactly no-go areas, but when we were househunting we excluded those areas right from the start.

20 minutes ago, keroleen said:

Well, there are more desirable areas (like Killesberg) and less desirable ones, like Hallschlag or Raitelsberg. They're not exactly no-go areas, but when we were househunting we excluded those areas right from the start.

Sure, Killesberg is traditionally high-end with high-end prices, the millionaires hill with lots of villas, both historic and modern and still direct connection to the inner city etc. while Hallschlag in Bad Canstatt or Riedenberg (Sillenbuch) on the Filder Plateau are more recent housing developments and further away from the city. But neither Hallschlag nor Riedenberg are somehow unsafe. 

If you work in Siemensstrasse, I would recommend you live in Feuerbach or Zuffenhausen. Feuerbach has a nicer shopping area. Otherwise, both are areas where rents tend to be a bit lower - I would say in Zuffenhausen (including Rot) it is even lower than in Feuerbach. Rot also used to have a bad reputation but due to recent renovations turned into a pretty nice area.

It may have changed, but I understand public elementary schools do not reject anybody. Nowadays, there are special classes for children who need support in German, they are typically full of refugee children. The quality may vary.

On 16.6.2017, 15:37:44, someonesdaughter said:

Sure, Killesberg is traditionally high-end with high-end prices, the millionaires hill with lots of villas, both historic and modern and still direct connection to the inner city etc. while Hallschlag in Bad Canstatt or Riedenberg (Sillenbuch) on the Filder Plateau are more recent housing developments and further away from the city. But neither Hallschlag nor Riedenberg are somehow unsafe. 

I was actually referring to Raitelsberg, a working-class housing estate (Arbeitersiedlung) in Stuttgart-Ost, erected between 1926 and 1928 or 1929. My aunt lived there in the 1970s and the flats were tiny (48 sqm for a family of four, IIRC). The blocks of flats are built really close together, so there's not much space for gardens.

There is a bit of history on this page and an aerial photo from 1928 can be seen here.

My experience while looking for a place is there aren't really any "bad" areas to avoid, that I saw anyway. I've only been on the S-bahn a couple times so far but have been impressed. You can make really good time with it; maybe this will help expand your area further from the expensive parts close to the center of Stuttgart. Another concern I had is how the air quality can be really bad. I don't know how far this extends from the center but I didn't want to settle permanently close to the center since we have young kids. We ended up in Rutesheim. It's farm country but I can still get to most places in the Stuttgart area within 30 minutes.

I think your budget is reasonable for what you're looking for. In our case, we had a tough time finding a house. I set a radius from my job and we just ended up where ever we could find a house and city we liked, instead of picking a specific city and then trying to find a house in it.

Good luck! Hopefully your German is better than mine. I started from zero and that's been the most difficult part in getting settled.

9 hours ago, AlexCLE said:

I've only been on the S-bahn a couple times so far but have been impressed. You can make really good time with it; maybe this will help expand your area further from the expensive parts close to the center of Stuttgart.

That is one of the problems though - rents tend to rise as soon as you are anywhere near the S-Bahn :(

On 19.6.2017, 12:29:48, keroleen said:

I was actually referring to Raitelsberg, a working-class housing estate (Arbeitersiedlung) in Stuttgart-Ost, erected between 1926 and 1928 or 1929.

Ah, sorry, I ignored that. Raitelsberg is actually very interesting, architecture-wise, it's basically a triangle consisting of five(?) or six streets only, but an example for the 'Neues Bauen' movement. As are Weißenhofsiedlung or Siemensstadt in Berlin. 

On 19.6.2017, 12:29:48, keroleen said:

My aunt lived there in the 1970s and the flats were tiny (48 sqm for a family of four, IIRC). The blocks of flats are built really close together, so there's not much space for gardens.

Raitelsberg has everything between 2 and 6 room-flats and is a stone-throw away from Park Villa Berg and the adventure playground. Villa Berg itself is in sad condition but the park and the beer garden (Bushpilot) are great! 

15 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Raitelsberg is actually very interesting, architecture-wise, it's basically a triangle consisting of five(?) or six streets only, but an example for the 'Neues Bauen' movement. As are Weißenhofsiedlung or Siemensstadt in Berlin.

Talking about Arbeitersiedlungen, there is also Eiernest in Heslach. My great-grandparents (and the boyfriend's grandparents) lived there. It looks really lovely, much nicer than Raitelsberg:

Das Eiernest - nur was für gesellige Typen

15 minutes ago, keroleen said:

Talking about Arbeitersiedlungen, there is also Eiernest in Heslach. My great-grandparents (and the boyfriend's grandparents) lived there. It looks really lovely, much nicer than Raitelsberg:

Das Eiernest - nur was für gesellige Typen

Famous Eiernest, yes. But it's nearly impossible to get in as an outsider. The really small houses - 54 sqm for two rooms, 58 for 3 rooms an 60 for 4 rooms – all come with a 130sqm garden, originally thought for growing vegetables and keeping chickens for self-supply, were originally only for renters and thought as a provisional solution. 

The actual owner – SWSG, the Stuttgart housing company – started to sell them maybe a decade ago – mostly to the former renters. Only if a sitting renter dies or moves away and none of the other renters want to buy, the houses are for sale. But exclusively to families that have to know that they are not allowed to expand. The max 60 sqm will stay. 

There are some more Arbeitersiedlungen in S-Ost, Kolonie Ostheim was built earlier than Eiernest and Raitelsberg. And then there are Siedlung Rotenbergstraße, Straßenbahnersiedlung, Gasarbeitersiedlung and some more.