London tower block fire with many casualties

184 posts in this topic

Reportedly a faulty fridge. No fire alarms, no sprinklers. An horrendous tragedy. 

I simply do not understand how this could happen. Fire safety regulations are so very strict in the UK. I've just been instructed to replace the door to my flat with a fire door . Surely all those flats had fire doors? Alarms? It's horrifying. Those families, asleep in their beds... someone is going to have to pay but the innocent lives lost ...

It beggars belief how this can happen in our day and age.

One of the earliest questions I heard asked on BBC was "what about the required sprinkler system?"

Article from November 2016:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

It is a truly terrifying thought but the Grenfell Action Group firmly believe that only a catastrophic event will expose the ineptitude and incompetence of our landlord, the  KCTMO, and bring an end to the dangerous living conditions and neglect of health and safety legislation that they inflict upon their tenants and leaseholders. We believe that the KCTMO are an evil, unprincipled, mini-mafia who have no business to be charged with the responsibility of  looking after the every day management of large scale social housing estates and that their sordid collusion with the RBKC Council is a recipe for a future major disaster.

Also:

The Grenfell Action Group believe that the KCTMO narrowly averted a major fire disaster at Grenfell Tower in 2013 when residents experienced a period of terrifying power surges that were subsequently found to have been caused by faulty wiring. We believe that our attempts to highlight the seriousness of this event were covered up by the KCTMO with the help of the RBKC Scrutiny Committee who refused to investigate the legitimate concerns of tenants and leaseholders.

At the end of the film "The Towering Inferno" Steve McQeen who played the Fire Chief says something like " you keep building them higher and higher but you never consult us (The Fire Brigade)

Tall buildings, for profit companies managing them, deregulated sub contracting, was bound to happen.

I watched the news for a while this morning and they said that the flames spread up the building within about 15 minutes, way too fast to get everyone out.  It seems the building was renovated a few years ago in that they put those sheets of material on the outside of the building to make it look better and to make it more energy efficient.  An ex fire chief claimed that they could be the reason why the fire spread so quickly. 

An awful, awful thing to happen!

A lot of new low buildings in the UK are timber framed and the Fire services are concerned that with these, there is a cavity around the framing that allows a fire to spread behind the walls, The response tends to be that the walls are made from fire retardent materials but the Fire service state that if someone puts shelving up and drills into these walls then the fire safety is compromised. We have to wait and see whether there was a cavity between the insulation and the original outside walls of the building that channelled the flames up. Don't forget, the higher a chimney is then the more up draft created and the more intense the fire below.

2 hours ago, Tap said:

I watched the news for a while this morning and they said that the flames spread up the building within about 15 minutes, way too fast to get everyone out.  It seems the building was renovated a few years ago in that they put those sheets of material on the outside of the building to make it look better and to make it more energy efficient.  An ex fire chief claimed that they could be the reason why the fire spread so quickly. 

An awful, awful thing to happen!

The report says a 2 year refurb was completed last year, the building should have been up to safety standards

3 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

The report says a 2 year refurb was completed last year, the building should have been up to safety standards

yeh, but who did the work and who signed it off, 20 years ago I lived in a building that was refurbished, we had dry rot because the rubble was thrown in the cellar and a pipe had cracked under it all, they filled gaps in the rendering with newspaper and then rendered over the top, some of the brickwork was dodgy etc etc.  Wouldn't be surprised if there are court cases later and various senior managers questioned.The fire brigade and HSE will go over everything with a fine tooth comb, just hope if anything is found, it's not just the scape goat on trial.

2 hours ago, French bean said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there are court cases later and various senior managers questioned.

And maybe just maybe someone will end up getting fined for what will probably be a lot less than the profit they've made on the building and someone very low on the ladder will be blamed for it all and the people at the top will walk away to carry on doing their shit.

2 hours ago, French bean said:

yeh, but who did the work and who signed it off, 20 years ago I lived in a building that was refurbished, we had dry rot because the rubble was thrown in the cellar and a pipe had cracked under it all, they filled gaps in the rendering with newspaper and then rendered over the top, some of the brickwork was dodgy etc etc.  Wouldn't be surprised if there are court cases later and various senior managers questioned.The fire brigade and HSE will go over everything with a fine tooth comb, just hope if anything is found, it's not just the scape goat on trial.

I said 'should have been' not is up to standards, apparently they spent more on external cosmetics than actual safety, and those cosmetics possibly helped the fire to spread...

8 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Terrorism or just a carelessly discarded cigarette butt?

Some of the apes from 'Britain First' were there, harassing the Muslims who were helping to take care of the victims. Wouldn't put it past them to have started the fire, scum.