End of roaming charges in the EU

46 posts in this topic

Are roaming charges free within EU?. I have a 1und1 conrtact with 4GB internet free every month. I have been Prague last weekend and 1und1 charged me 48.75€ for browing internet over there. This is Insane. I am not sure what are my rights here.

5 Verbindung international 0,39 EUR je Minute 02:05:00      48,75     19%

30 minutes ago, DanglingPointer said:

Are roaming charges free within EU?. I have a 1und1 conrtact with 4GB internet free every month. I have been Prague last weekend and 1und1 charged me 48.75€ for browing internet over there. This is Insane. I am not sure what are my rights here.

While roaming in the EU you should be charged the same as if you were at home.  So if you have a package of 4GB then it should deduct from this package first before you are charged anything, and then the charges should be the same as if you have exceeded your package at home.

Your usage has to be reasonable.  So if you use 4 GB a month at home and suddenly use 300 GB while roaming this might incur extra charges.  This is really to stop misuse (buying a SIM in one EU country where it is cheaper but using it in another the whole time in one example).

You need to contact 1und1 and ask them what these charges are for and see what they say.

2 hours ago, Neudarmstaedter said:

Those are not internet charges. They are 125mins international calling at 39 cents a minute. 

3 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

It seems that while in Prague you made some calls. If the number you called was an EU number you should be charged as if calling a German number from Germany, which depends on your contract

Edit: If it's an EU call they're also bound to charge per-second not per minute (Except for the first 30seconds)

I am 12 months into a 2 year Otelo mobile phone contract (on the Vodafone network) and will soon be moving to Austria. 

I understood when I took out the contract I would be liable for the full 24 months if I moved so it's not a major deal for me to pay up a cancellation fee, but I just wondered if anyone has experience of continuing to use their phone abroad?

Ideally I would continue permanently using my existing German sim in Austria as there are no roaming charges in the EU. I understand I can't technically do this permanently due to the EU directive rules, however does anyone know if the rule preventing this is enforced in my case, and how long I'd be able to continue roaming without charge? Even being able to use it for 3 months would make a nice difference. Does anyone also know if I could be charged retrospectively for usage, or would they need to send me a notification before applying the per GB usage rate.

Technically over the 24 month period of the contract I would have used the majority of data in Germany and it's also clear that I didn't simply purchase the contract in a "cheaper contract country"** with the intention of exclusively using it abroad.   

** as if anyone would choose Germany for this, haha

The last question would have better chances of being answered in the Telecoms sub-forum.

You can use your German Otelo SIM card wherever you moved until they notify you that they have cancelled your free roaming.

This assumes that they will notify you and won't just start charging you for it. :P

Proceed at your own risk.