why are school trips so expensive in germany?

45 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

Seems like the first lawyer suggests it’s not a big deal as long as your kid takes part in lessons:

...sodass dem Antrag bei berechtigten und nachweisbaren Einwänden stattzugeben ist...

As I described, this is the key point: justified, documented objections. You're welcome to give it a try, but you don't have the right to deny your kid a class trip just because you feel like it. At least not in Hesse.

What does your child say? Even in elementary school, I would have been incredibly ticked off, not to mention disappointed, if my parents had not let me go on a Klassenfahrt my friends and I really had been looking forward to for months because of, say, my grandpa's 60th birthday. Kids sometimes have different priorities than adults.

Not being able to afford a trip is one thing. Thinking it is stupid and not wanting to spend the money is entirely different.

During my school days, class trips were a great bonding experience for most if not all of us and not going on one made one of my friends (she was sick and couldn't come) almost a bit of an outsider for a while. She was not excluded deliberately, but didn't get the many references jokes etc. that inevitably follow after a trip (a bunch of 12-year olds...). It wasn't bad because she just missed the one trip and had good friends in the class. But a child that doesn't come on any school trips?

If the reason for not coming is bullying in the class, that is an entirely different kettle of fish...

And it's very hard to organise a trip if you don't have the numbers. Costs are usually based on the number of people attending and if people randomly pull out it makes it impossible to organize it for *anyone*.

If you think your child is taking too many trips, bring it up at the Elternabend.

8 minutes ago, Marianne013 said:

If you think your child is taking too many trips, bring it up at the Elternabend.

The class trips are normally one every two years, and with luck one per year.   I don't see a "too many" element there.

On 1/22/2019, 12:41:32, Marianne013 said:

Costs are usually based on the number of people attending and if people randomly pull out it makes it impossible to organize it for *anyone*.

I don't want to pull out randomly, but rather give plenty of notice and valid reasons.

The issue is more that it's mandatory for *everyone*

On 1/22/2019, 12:41:32, Marianne013 said:

Costs

Costs are not an issue (I assume they're not a huge issue for anyone at this particular school) but I'd be happy to pay my share even if our kid doesn't go.

On 1/30/2019, 4:09:48, sos-the-rope said:

I don't want to pull out randomly, but rather give plenty of notice and valid reasons.

The issue is more that it's mandatory for *everyone*

"Dear head teacher, I would like to withdraw my child from the upcoming class trip because it is mandatory. Sincerely, SOS."

My kid was asked if she wanted to go on a trip - little more than a Kaffeefahrt - with a different class to make up the numbers because so many people in the other class had pulled out. The costs really are becoming too high. The organisers need to rethink their over ambitious destinations.

On 1/31/2019, 5:03:08, deadsoul said:

"Dear head teacher, I would like to withdraw my child from the upcoming class trip because it is mandatory. Sincerely, SOS."

Yeah, stick it to the man!

On 1/31/2019, 5:29:10, optimista said:

My kid was asked if she wanted to go on a trip - little more than a Kaffeefahrt - with a different class to make up the numbers because so many people in the other class had pulled out. The costs really are becoming too high. The organisers need to rethink their over ambitious destinations.

I guess this kind of thing made sense back in the 50s / 60s when there were jobs and most kids came from proletarian families struggling to get through the month.

Now we float on a sea of tax surplus in DE it doesn't make sense to have mandatory holidays in school time (unless they're trying to hint at the DE ideal of maxing out your vacation every year like a UK maxxes out their credit) ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EiiNSdQJfw&t=27s

Traci Moon
I sent my children to school in Bavaria. And this is exactly the tactic they use. They take the children out of the environment oh, this is a mandatory trip at every beginning of the school year which the parents pay 180 Euros per kid, out-of- pocket. This goes on for 1 week. They take the children to a facility where the teachers are the hierarchy, there's no way to call home oh, there's no way to leave, they have to obey. This makes them brainwashed into the system.14:00

Hey everyone, I wanted to see how the years actually went before coming back to this topic..

I can say only this...it was a waste of money!  so it seems the bullying and mobbing continues...its all about a name and who has money and what not.

What floored me the most is the TEACHERS that were paid were barely around which resulted in kids getting busted stealing, drinking, and nobody really giving a chit about the museums and such. Two of my kids have so far been to Munich, Leipzig, Hamburg, Denmark, Austria, Italy....Does this really start to sound like kids or TEACHERS wanting a vacation???  I have only been to 1 of those places and it was all business only so no enjoyment on the city.  I'm going to have to say, the system in Bayern is Hogwash and the quality of schooling is way too old school and sucks...I could also not believe the amount of money I have to pay EXTRA for PAPER and STUFF every year as a PUBLIC school supported by TAXPAYERS Dollars...a ream of paper is only 4 euro for 5k sheets of paper? why do they want 50 euro every quarter?  my kid surely does NOT bring home 5000 copies of paper and I HAVE TO PAY FOR BOOKS ON TOP OF IT??  What the FUCK?  can anyone relate?...oh and back to the overpriced trips...I did the math and the tour guide made 2k for  a 1 hour bullshit trip...I was like FOR REAL?...yup all combined and the kids learned NOTHING! so what gives?  I just wish the teachers actually cared in Würzburg Landkreis - Specifically -OCHSENFURT GERMANY!  please NEVER go here, it is worse than...IDK...KANSAS?

sorry to rant and rave but it makes my blood boil, especially when I hear of kids failing here...where I come from, if a kid does not pass or learn, it is cause the teacher failed to teach the kids correctly!

In my job if my customers are not happy then what? tough shit? - NO I failed to make my customers happy!  where is the accountability in this school system for TEACHERS ???

On 10/18/2017, 11:45:29, SpiderPig said:

How are you getting from Wurzburg to  Strausbourg  in 2 hrs?

its 268 KM at the shortest route and a bus has an average speed of 90kmh... thats 3 hrs without and traffic jams,,,

find me a bus that actually drives 90 and not 110??

A friend in Wales a few years ago had a similar issue with school trips.He was expected to pay something like 2k GBP to send his son for 1 week in Austria. This would include white water rafting, rock climbing and absailing. He asked why send them there when Wales has great rivers, Snowdonia, plenty of outdoor adventure training centres and fantastic coast line. As he put it, that one week for just his son was more than the cost of his family's skiing holiday. I also knew of someone that was expected to raise something like 3 grand to send the son on a school trip to New York. Tell me that's really for the kid's benefit. So it's not just here, it's all over.

I went on a school trip to Belgium, our neighbours from the South :). Another option was a domestic sailing camp or a trip to Germany, our neighbours from the East.

12 hours ago, Jared Brummond said:

sorry to rant and rave but it makes my blood boil, especially when I hear of kids failing here...where I come from, if a kid does not pass or learn, it is cause the teacher failed to teach the kids correctly!

In my job if my customers are not happy then what? tough shit? - NO I failed to make my customers happy!  where is the accountability in this school system for TEACHERS ???

Taking responsibility for the safety and well-being of a bunch of school kids for 3-5 days on a school trip sounds like high stress rather than vacation like to me.  

Whether in Germany, the US or any other country, the sooner parents accept responsibility for their kids' education, the better off they are.   Assume the kids learn nothing in school and you need to develop good study habits and regular checkpoints independent of what the school requires to make sure they are on the right track.   It may seem unfair, but it is the reality.

Good luck. 

These trips are not generally, if ever, arranged by the schools. They are instead arranged by companies that make school trips a big business - hence the trips are expensive. And of course the school doesn't have to opt for the cheapest, they are not paying for it. Overall it would be good to see whatever justification schools have for these outings.  It would also be interesting to know if the schools get some kind of kickback for this.

11 minutes ago, Bellroth said:

These trips are not generally, if ever, arranged by the schools. 

That's news to me. Can you give a source for that information?