why are school trips so expensive in germany?

45 posts in this topic

I live in Bayern, and I'm wondering why 47 kids are going to Strausbourg which is 2 hours away from us for 2 nights but it cost 200 Euro per kid, who has this money right? ...but every 9th kid is free?  what does this mean?  This seems very expensive considering the distance and the price is the same for 30 kids or 47 kids or more...  Am I the only one crazy here?  I had a child go last year to MUENCHEN for 3 days and it only cost 160 euro...same skit...only sleeping but only breakfast included but they did way more and the bus ride was included.  they actually want me to sign a contract ensuring my kid will go on the trip...  For some odd reason I'm required to  pay for the following...

2x ubernachtung mit Fruhstuck in 2 sterne hotel.

Farhrt im reisebus hin und zuruck

schalfsessel und kilmaanlage inkl.

separate Zimmer fur 3 begleitpersonen

2 std, Stadtführung Strausbourg

Ausflug nach Ungersheim

Eintritt Eco museum

Straßen und parkgebühren

Ruckreise entland der weingstraße ( strange I live in a wine region)

dt./engl. sprachiger Ansprechpartner vor Ort (Did I mention this was a French class?)

Stadterkundungsspiel zur eigenen Durchführung

Welcome- Info paket zur Reisevorbereitung

24hr Service-Rufnummer während der Reise

Insolvenzversicerung (WTF?)

Teilnehmerausfallschutz- 10%

inkl. Reiserucktrittsversicherung bis 200€ p.P

Jede 9 personen Frei ( WTF? lerher/in vllt?)

Sorry its a mix of English and German, but that is how the paper is I got.

I appreciate your thoughts on this...I also just realized it was booked at ''Welcome Berlin Tours''.  My daughter is now in tears cause I simply dont have this kind of money for two days to screw around in a city 2 hours away and not including food.  Geesh!  what do I do now :/  Sometimes I really hate this system...I believe on almost 10k someone is getting sorely paid out of this ordeal and I wouldnt doubt if it was a kickback to Ochsenfurt Realschule -_-

I recommend to talk to the head teacher of your girl whether there is some financial help that the school might provide for ppl that are not able to afford such trips entirely on their own. Most schools do have such programmes, you just have to ask :).

How are you getting from Wurzburg to  Strausbourg  in 2 hrs?

its 268 KM at the shortest route and a bus has an average speed of 90kmh.... thats 3 hrs without and traffic jams,,,

I suspect that the every 9th person free, is for places for the teaching staff, to enable a good teacher-kid ratio.

Dude...

Lets look at it this way...

Car trip for Familly of 3...  

Fuel...   80€  ( approx)

Guest hause.... 2 nights, 3 people.. with Breakie.. 120 ( if you are hellishly lucky)

Moaning Kiddie and stress because you havent got a clue what to do or see...

So.. in both situations you will pay entrance to museum etc etc and need Lunch/evening meal, snacks and drinks!   ( This will cost more for 3 people, obviously)...

Now... lets say you send your Daughter....  

You can now have a "Date weekend" with the other half!     Win.. Win. Win !!!

As for the Insurances that you have to assist with...  What a fantastic idea and peace of mind!

I've googled this information for you:

Klassenfahrt: Was sie kosten darf und welche Regelungen gelten

Here are two points concerning the costs, but the rest of the article should also be read - loads of information you should know:

2. Gibt es einen Höchstbetrag für die Kosten einer Klassenfahrt? 

Für den Höchstbeitrag für die Kosten finden sich in den Verordnungen keine konkreten Angaben. Es wird lediglich darauf hingewiesen, dass die entstehenden Kosten eines Schullandheimaufenthaltes auf Klassenfahrt für alle zumutbar sein sollen. Die frühzeitige Bekanntgabe einer geplanten Klassenfahrt soll allen Eltern ermöglichen, die entstehenden Kosten anzusparen bzw. entsprechende Anträge auf finanzielle Unterstützung zu stellen. Manche Schulen legen eine Obergrenze für die Kosten fest.

3. Darf der Lehrer das Ziel der Klassenfahrt bestimmen?

Der Lehrer muss auf einem Elternabend das/die mögliche/n Ziel/e der Klassenfahrt vorstellen, seine Beweggründe für diese Orte darlegen und die Kosten benennen. Sie haben dabei das Recht, sich gegen ein Reiseziel der Klassenfahrt auszusprechen, wenn Ihnen die Kosten zu hoch erscheinen oder Sie den Sinn dahinter nicht erkennen können (beispielsweise ein sehr weiter Anfahrtsweg bei einer kurzen Dauer). Häufig wird mit einer Abstimmung durch die Eltern über den Aufenthaltsort der Klassenfahrt entschieden. Manchmal lässt sich der Lehrer auch von den Eltern Reiseziele der Klassenfahrt vorschlagen. Einige Schulen besuchen traditionsgemäß bestimmte Häuser. In jedem Fall muss auch der Schulleiter dem Reiseziel der Klassenfahrt zustimmen.

10 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

- can't do that Piggy, it'll cost even more! :D

20 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

You can now have a "Date weekend" with the other half! 

...and your other children.

Was this not first discussed at a parent evening with an approximate cost mentioned?  Our school always is happy to disclose breakdown of costs.  Perhaps you could ask for this.  You are probably not the only one questioning this, approach one of the parent representatives about it.

On 31.5.2017, 22:23:01, Jared Brummond said:

but every 9th kid is free?  what does this mean?

I guess it means that the school expects having to subsidise 1 out of 9 kids. But that´s only my guess. You might want to ask whether I´m guessing correctly though. If so you could apply for being subsidised as well

23 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

and the trips are usually during the week ...

One of our kids is right now in the class trip in some castle 1.5h from Berlin.  200 EUR for Monday to Friday.   But the class trip last year was 160 EUR Monday to Thursday.   So it all depends where they are going, how are they going there and what is included.   Everything was discussed during one of the parent meetings because the budget needs approval from the parents.

Edit: If you receive Hartz4 I think they pay for it.

Hahahahahahahaha

Typical TT style thread...   Original post was in May...

Someone answers 5 months later and we all get our panties in a bunch!!    :lol:

On 10/19/2017, 8:23:11, SpiderPig said:

Hahahahahahahaha

Typical TT style thread...   Original post was in May...

Someone answers 5 months later and we all get our panties in a bunch!!    :lol:

How bout a year later?! :-D

I was wondering if there’s a legal right to withdraw your kid from this madness?

we already have 2 major commitments the same week so our kid will be exhausted. There’s no way it’s a good idea to drag her off for a week long trip.

i know one other parent who’s withdrawn a kid from it in the past so “it can be done”...

Here if the child cannot go on the trip it is fine.  They just stay with the closest class that fits for the duration.

On 1/17/2019, 7:19:23, snowingagain said:

Here if the child cannot go on the trip it is fine.  They just stay with the closest class that fits for the duration.

yeah, is there any official source where it states you have a right to request your kid stays in class for the duration of the trip?

It seems the rules vary from state to state. In Hesse, where you are, there's a general requirement for children to take part in class trips. Exceptions can only be granted in individual cases due to health or, in exceptional cases, for religious reasons. I'm not sure if "my kid will be knackered" is an acceptable health-related complaint.

To get an exception for religious reasons, you have to provide specific documentation, such as a letter from your priest/rabbi/imam/FSM whisperer.

Answer to that effect from a lawyer.

Same answer to that effect from another lawyer.

8 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

It seems the rules vary from state to state. In Hesse, where you are, there's a general requirement for children to take part in class trips. Exceptions can only be granted in individual cases due to health or, in exceptional cases, for religious reasons. I'm not sure if "my kid will be knackered" is an acceptable health-related complaint.

To get an exception for religious reasons, you have to provide specific documentation, such as a letter from your priest/rabbi/imam/FSM whisperer.

Seems like the first lawyer suggests it’s not a big deal as long as your kid takes part in lessons:

”Grundsätzlich kann auf Antrag das Kind am Unterricht einer anderen Klasse teilnehmen, da dies keine Regelung für eine Beurlaubung betrifft, sondern das Kind ja weiterhin seinen Schulpflichten nachkommt und nicht beurlaubt werden soll.

Hierfür liegen die Hürden weitaus niedriger, sodass dem Antrag bei berechtigten und nachweisbaren Einwänden stattzugeben ist, dass das Kind während der Dauer der Klassenfahrt am Unterricht in einer anderen Klasse teilnimmt.”

8 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

“Immer wieder kann es auch zu Problemen kommen wenn solche Veranstaltungen länger gehen und Geld kosten. Auch in diesen Fällen beharrt die Schule regelmäßig auf einer Teilnahme während die Familie lieber möchte daß das Kind solange an bei der Parallelklasse unterrichtet wird. Gerade diese Fääe werden oftmals "hart verhandelt" obwohl es eigentlich klar sein sollte daß man auch in einer anderen Klasse seiner Schulpflicht nachkommt. Die Schulen stellen oftmals aber auch auf die Sozialfunktion der Schule ab... Nach meinem Dafüürhalten ist allerdings auch unter diesem Aspekt kein Zwang zur Klassenfahrt denkbar zumal die "Argumente" der Schule oftmals zynisch erscheinen weil es häufig gemobbte Schüler sind die nicht mit fahren”

Sounds about right, it should be obvious that staying in another class is fulfilling the duty to attend school.