made online payment ...how to cancel

25 posts in this topic

Dear all

I made an online payment for a digital product, but i observed the Company who made the product hide some costs in a year subscription ,

so i need to cancel my order

In case you want to avoid working which such unfair /dishonest companies to avoid :

Wolfram Research Europe Ltd.
The Wolfram Centre, Lower Road,
Long Hanborough, Oxfordshire OX29 8FD
United Kingdom

I didnt downloaded/activatet yet their product

How do i cancel the order so my VISA card is not charged ? Do i need to contact the bank personally ?

This means i have to waste a day possibly...

What are the german rules?

45 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

Welcome to Germany, the land of automatically renewing contracts. The German rules are the following: once you clicked „I order“ you usually can't cancel it.

You are lucky to be dealing with UK company, so contact them and say you are canceling the order.

47 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

How do i cancel the order so my VISA card is not charged ? Do i need to contact the bank personally ?

You can block the credit card. You can't cancel existing transaction, but you can apply for their reversal (Zahlungsreklamation) for the following reasons:

1. You didn't authorize the transaction (credit card fraud)

2. Transaction was performed after you card was stolen/lost (lost/stolen credit card)

3. Goods/services not received or not as advertised

4. Incorrect amount/amount charged twice

Neither reason applies here. You have to contact the company and cancel the contract. If they still charge your card, then number 1 applies, contact your bank and reverse the transaction.

You can usually cancel an online order within 2 weeks under German law (with few exceptions). However, I´m not even sure German whether law applies if you ordered from the UK.

Don't the EU distance selling rules apply here in which you can cancel without giving reason within (usually) 2 weeks.

27 minutes ago, jeba said:

You can usually cancel an online order within 2 weeks under German law (with few exceptions). However, I´m not even sure German whether law applies if you ordered from the UK.

Think it's an EU, not just German rule:

If you bought a good or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and with no justification.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

There are exceptions (you can find them on the link) but I would have thought as long as you have not downloaded or activated anything yet, you would be okay?

Just found a possible hitch:  did you agree to waive the 14 day cooling off period?

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-get-a-refund-on-a-digital-download

Digital downloads are given their own unique category under the Consumer Contracts Regulations and are therefore not services or goods.If you want to download something within 14 days of buying it, you will have to give your consent to waive the 14-day cooling-off period.  If you don’t give your consent, the 14-day cooling-off period still applies, but you won’t be able to download your digital content until this period has ended.

Without seeing what you agreed to, it is difficult to know if you were ripped off.  It seems to be possible to change the subscription cycle to monthly, rather than yearly, and then you can cancel quicker.  Which website did you use to buy it from?

8 hours ago, TraceKira said:

Dear all

I made an online payment for a digital product, but i observed the Company who made the product hide some costs in a year subscription ,

so i need to cancel my order

In case you want to avoid working which such unfair /dishonest companies to avoid :

Wolfram Research Europe Ltd.
The Wolfram Centre, Lower Road,
Long Hanborough, Oxfordshire OX29 8FD
United Kingdom

I didnt downloaded/activatet yet their product

This means i have to waste a day possibly...

Going by their web page, it's quite clear that many of their products are subscription based.

Perhaps you didn't read it properly? Which software package did you buy?

They were opened in 2012 by the then Britsh prime minister, so I rather think your claim they are dishonest is perhaps defamatory in the legal sense. I would amend your original post to reflect this.

If you bought Mathmatica Desktop, ( student version ) it's quite clear that it's a yearly / semester  subscription

5 hours ago, jeba said:

5 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Don't the EU distance selling rules apply here in which you can cancel without giving reason within (usually) 2 weeks.

For physical goods, definitely. I am not sure it it applies to digital products, too (software, music, videos).

Otherwise I can buy  a movie and in 2 hours cancel the order. On Google Play the return time is 15 minutes or something.

Sorry to gate crash this post. I am new to this site. Could someone please tell me how I start a topic? I can't work out how to create a topic. I would like some advice on debt management in North Germany

Thanks for your help in advance.

14 hours ago, LeCheese said:

Going by their web page, it's quite clear that many of their products are subscription based.

Perhaps you didn't read it properly? Which software package did you buy?

They were opened in 2012 by the then Britsh prime minister, so I rather think your claim they are dishonest is perhaps defamatory in the legal sense. I would amend your original post to reflect this.

If you bought Mathmatica Desktop, ( student version ) it's quite clear that it's a yearly / semester  subscription

It was a bug in the web browser or something hidden on their page , but i paid for Mathematica one year subscriptopn 155 euro ,and i saw it appeared then on my confirmation email that they also added somehow

"

Personal License Service (€ 155.00)

• technical support
  • upgrades
  • personal-use license for a second personal computer or dual-boot machine

"

I dont know about you but i felt scammed , so i will try and cancel the whole thing

The funny thing i got no answer from their email support , so it seems to be some shady stuff going on here Their site says clear i can cancel my order if i want

Too bad , i used their 1 year subscription 2 years ago , but since they do this kind of hidden stuff when I order stuff again  i will give up on their tool and use MATLAB & Mathworks who have better prices anyway for Home use.

17 hours ago, TraceKira said:

It was a bug in the web browser or something hidden on their page , but i paid for Mathematica one year subscriptopn 155 euro ,and i saw it appeared then on my confirmation email that they also added somehow

"

Personal License Service (€ 155.00)

• technical support
  • upgrades

"

I dont know about you but i felt scammed , so i will try and cancel the whole thing

That is the  Personal License Service for Mathematica Home Edition   which is €155 plus VAT.

How are you being Scammed?

17 hours ago, TraceKira said:

but since they do this kind of hidden stuff when I order stuff again  i will give up on their tool and use MATLAB & Mathworks who have better prices anyway for Home use.

If you are so disorientated that the existence of a price for that product called mathematica warps you into "I am being ripped off"-mode, feel free to refrain from using that product as you won't alter the world of mathematics anyway.

You might want to look into GNU Octave when you're seeking a product aimed at "Home use".

Ahhh .. I think I understand. The OP thinks that ( possibly anyway )

• technical support
  • upgrades

Cost €155 extra? 

If that is the case, then no, they do not cost extra, they are included in the €155 Personal licence service.

Or perhaps it's something else :blink:

Wolfram said they refunded my order ...

But on my VISA transactions still appears -360 euro . I wonder if this is possible to get my money refunded , since my VISA card is in fact taking money from my german account . I am not sure is possible to get corrected

Does anyone has a similar visa card, which when you pay with it , it has -XXX sum and at the end of the month , its taken money from giro account... O-o ?