Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Voting in UK general elections

26 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Littleenginethatcould said:

ust a quick question about the UK general elections on the 8th of June. Is there anyway for an expat to vote here in Germany?

You mean vote, like actually here, in Germany?  No.

If you have been away from the UK for less  than 15 years, you can register for a postal vote but takes a while to set up...

9 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

If you have been away from the UK for less  than 15 years, you can register for a postal vote but takes a while to set up...

I don't think it takes too long to set up. You need to fill in a form and send it back and then they send you out some voting papers which you post back (free of charge) to them.

But if you're not set up by now it's too late. 

Interestingly enough, I've been out the country for more than 15 years and they still sent me voting papers. I don't know if this was a mistake or if Theresa Mayhem finally came good with her promise to allow those of us out of the country for 15 years or more to vote. 

I'm a little annoyed as I'm not entitled to any national genera lelection vote.

I've been here 18 years so can't vote in UK elections and as I'm only living here and not German I can't vote in genera lelections here either.

Yes, I can vote in EU elections but that's not worth much is it?

I wonder if I have any actual right to vote and if my legal insurance would fancy funding a court case on this.

As you've been here so long you could take up German citizenship and if you do it before Britain leaves the EU you don't have to give up your British citizenship. After the Brexit fiasco the Tories promised that they would change the rules about non residents voting rights, but of course it was just a load of hot air.

12 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

I'm a little annoyed as I'm not entitled to any national genera lelection vote...I've been here 18 years so can't vote in UK elections and as I'm only living here and not German I can't vote in genera lelections here either.

Hic?

If you are EU you can vote here in loca/municipa lelections too.

Okay, not at the moment but they have promised to get rid of the 15 year rule, but it's just not going to happen in time for this snap election.

8 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Okay, not at the moment but they have promised to get rid of the 15 year rule, but it's just not going to happen in time for this snap election.

It was part of their last election manifesto in 2015. Fat chance.

I feel that 15 years is generous  for expats to vote!  If you are no longer resident and not paying taxes, then maybe there should be a timeline when you can no longer vote.

After 18 years here, then maybe  a look at taking German citizenship is a wise move.?

29 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

I feel that 15 years is generous  for expats to vote!  If you are no longer resident and not paying taxes, then maybe there should be a timeline when you can no longer vote.

After 18 years here, then maybe  a look at taking German citizenship is a wise move.?

Maybe, but if you have paid into the system, have been brought up by the system and hold up the values of that system then you should be allowed to vote. IMO those who shouldn't are those that do not hold a full british passport (don't know if that's the case now) and those who have not been resident in the country for less than a fixed period, say 5 to 10 years. I would definately ban postal voting from within the UK, if you want to vote, you go to a voting station or appoint a proxy, there have been too many incidences of fraudulent postal voting in certain communities. Internet voting is a big no no, just look at how much hacking of government websites has gone on

52 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Disagree. As an expat you're still affected by a large number of decisions made by the government and you may have paid many years more taxes  than those who are resident and can vote  (or even those who don't pay any taxes and yet vote). I think basing right to vote on how much tax you're paying is a slippery slope. 

A more logical solution might be to adopt the French approach and have  ministers specifically for citizens living abroad. Then you wouldn't be affecting local results in a place you no longer live, but would be voting for somebody to represent you still. 

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Archive/French-expats-get-their-own-minister

2 hours ago, RedMidge said:

I know a Britsh guy who still pays taxes in the UK. Even those recieving a UK pension pay taxes in The UK. Those owning Property in the UK pay taxes.

Seems a good case for  " No Taxation Without Representation " Oder?

7 hours ago, Jonny said:

I don't think it takes too long to set up. You need to fill in a form and send it back and then they send you out some voting papers which you post back (free of charge) to them.

But if you're not set up by now it's too late. 

Interestingly enough, I've been out the country for more than 15 years and they still sent me voting papers. I don't know if this was a mistake or if Theresa Mayhem finally came good with her promise to allow those of us out of the country for 15 years or more to vote. 

You need to register for an expat vote within the 15 years of leaving Blighty. Then it is set up and you are included in all elections. 

I just completed my registration and voted. No where on the forms did it stipulate for how long I was entitled to vote. Only which elections and referendums I wanted to vote in. I chose all.

That's not what it says everywhere I've found online.

Here's the topic from The Telegraph which says you must have been registered as living in the UK to vote within the last 15 years and then your registration as an expat expires after 12 months and must be renewed, so the 15y rule applies again ... and again ...

On 5/30/2017, 11:00:01, Malt-Teaser said:

Yes, I can vote in EU elections but that's not worth much is it?

I'm surprised no one picked this comment up and ran with it.  All the pro EU supporters out there! 

I assume the lack of replies means no one even knows the answer. 

So, my postal vote has come through for the UK General Election. It's a depressing choice, given that there's almost no hope of unseating the current Tory. He goes by the name of Richard Drax, because Cameron told him it made him sound more like a "man of the people" than his true name of Richard Grosvenor Plunkett Ernle Erle Drax. He's such a man of the people that his estate (which is somewhat different to the estates many of his Weymouth-based constituents live in) takes about 20 minutes to drive at 60mph along the front wall. Due to the daft UK system, I will probably vote for someone I don't want to be MP LESS than Drax, rather than the person I would most like to be MP for South Dorset....oh, and in any event, the vote will almost certainly not count for anything anyway. 

Previously I'd lived in Richmond Park which is a genuine marginal. About 8-10 years ago it went Tory...to another real "man of the people" Lord Goldsmith's son Zac. My (German) wife wasn't allowed to vote in the election, despite having been a UK tax payer for over 10 years, whereas Zac was allowed to be MP without being a UK tax payer at all (at least at the time).

Bl00dy hell, I'm glad I live here.

Anyone else voting from Germany? 

Yarp. Filled it in yesterday, will post it in the morning. We have to pay postage from Germany this time.

Also a conservative safe seat. Hey ho. Maybe mine will be the one that tips the balance...