Spaten Helles

14 posts in this topic

For several years, I've considered Spaten Helles to be the worst beer in Munich; my heart has always sunk when it was clear I'd have to drink the stuff.

Except, over the last few months, it's become not terrible. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it my advancing years and declining tastebuds?

Maybe they changed the ingredients? Or cleaned the pipes?

All Munich beers taste pretty much the same, as indeed do most Bavarian Helle. This is not a criticism, they are all of a pretty high standard.  I doubt if many of you could reliably tell one from another in a blind tasting.

I have to agree with Uncle Nick. I´m sure I´d recognise a Löwenbräu.

1 hour ago, Allershausen said:

All Munich beers taste pretty much the same, as indeed do most Bavarian Helle. This is not a criticism, they are all of a pretty high standard.  I doubt if many of you could reliably tell one from another in a blind tasting.

Not really. Helles is not my cup of tea (I should write: is not my crate of beer), but I feel the difference in tastes. I will not recognize in blind test, though, because I do not drink Helles often enough. But I could if I did.

The same applies to wines: well, if you do not drink wine often enough you can say all wine taste the same, while in practice this is not the case.

My subjective non professional view is that the best Helles in Bavaria is brewed in Allgäu. Regarding Munich beers I only drink Augustiner. Löwenbräu, Spaten: not my cup of tea.

I drink Weißbier 95% of the timebut when I have a Helles, it will not be Spaten :). Paulaner and Hofbrau are not bad. Hacker-Pschorr is not my favourite as well.

I've always enjoyed Löwenbräu, I haven't had enough Spaten to comment. 

You shouldn't really complain about the Munich beers, they're superior to mainstream North German beers.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

But I could if I did.

That's what you think, I think the reality is somewhat different. All Munich beers have a slightly different taste, but the difference is so small that I believe most people really couldn't tell one from another, despite what they try to tell themselves.

3 hours ago, Allershausen said:

I doubt if many of you could reliably tell one from another in a blind tasting.

May I suggest you make all the arrangements, and put your theory to the test? :D

If it's the same ABV and same type of beer ie Helles its much of a muchness in terms of taste. I remember years ago working in busy pubs in the UK, when the Kronenbourg was sometimes sold out we would hook up a Heineken keg or vice versa.(This of course was the managers decision not mine :-)). The Regs never noticed as the tap says Kronenbourg on it. 

It's all in ya head. "I only drink Augustiner everything else tastes like shit blah blah"

It's all in ya head. "I only drink Augustiner everything else tastes like shit blah blah"

But I'm really not a beer snob. I find Netto Helles (25¢ in cans) perfectly drinkable, although I wouldn't offer it to guests. There's just something about Spaten though.

1 hour ago, Camm said:

The Regs never noticed as the tap says Kronenbourg on it. 

How do you know that? Didn't complain ≠ didn't notice.

The taste of the beer depends on many factors, in particular on what have you eaten or drank before. So, people well might have noticed, but thought it's something with their own sensors. Or were too drunk.

In Bavaria this would make you a big trouble because there are people who drink only one beer brand for years. They notice even the slightest difference.

I steer clear of Löwenbräu and Spaten as I much prefer the taste of Augustiner (yes, there is a difference in taste). The first German expression I learned when I moved here was, "Alte Männer raten trinken nicht Spaten!"