Beggars knocking on your door

100 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, yourkeau said:

the number of unqualified jobs is decreasing due to robots. At some point 10% of people will work, 90% do whatever they want because they are not needed by the system.

 

More likely some of the currently high paying jobs will become low paying jobs. Do you remember when you could make a bundle for data processing or for being able to turn on a computer and use Word?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, yourkeau said:

 90% do whatever they want because they are not needed by the system.

They may well have the time to do whatever they want but not the fundage.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Universal income will be our next thing.   (Money without working).

 

Actually it was already estimated that there is enough money and resources to make everyone in the world "wealthy" (first world country upper middle class level) and the economy wouldn't be affected for the bad.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mendaki said:

Two years ago, someone stole my daughter's bicycle which was locked to a pole outside a bank. My husband was baffled when that happened because in his German mind, who would steal a 3 year old's bike?

 

Both my kids have not so solid but not too crappy locks for their bicycles, but they have 4 digit combination locks instead of a key.   I keep thinking this is not secure enough, but giving heavy complicated locks to kids is as well overkill.   I just wish for the best and think you have to be a pretty bad person to steal a kid's bicycle.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Krieg said:

 

Both my kids have not so solid but not too crappy locks for their bicycles, but they have 4 digit combination locks instead of a key.   I keep thinking this is not secure enough, but giving heavy complicated locks to kids is as well overkill.   I just wish for the best and think you have to be a pretty bad person to steal a kid's bicycle.

My kid has her Laufrad stolen two times. In one case the neighbours even witnessed that it was taken from the walkway in front of our house by another child and his mother, the neighbours unfortunately didn’t realise that it was ours so they didn’t stop the evil duo. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018, 10:43:47, desdemona said:

it was taken from the walkway in front of our house by another child and his mother

:o geez

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018, 9:49:38, fraufruit said:

 

Most likely a junkie, not some syndicate.

well whoever done it, we hope he or she brought cheer to a little kiddo.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018, 10:28:13, Krieg said:

Universal income will be our next thing.   (Money without working).

 

Actually it was already estimated that there is enough money and resources to make everyone in the world "wealthy" (first world country upper middle class level) and the economy wouldn't be affected for the bad.

I´d like that world....source, though?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018, 9:33:50, Krieg said:

 

Both my kids have not so solid but not too crappy locks for their bicycles, but they have 4 digit combination locks instead of a key.   I keep thinking this is not secure enough, but giving heavy complicated locks to kids is as well overkill.   I just wish for the best and think you have to be a pretty bad person to steal a kid's bicycle.

 

I am inclined to think it doesn't really matter what kind of locks we use. if someone has got their eye on our bike, they will (sadly) find a way to take it :(

 

btw, Munich folks, Ive seen men at different Ubahn stations checking out bikes... I can only assume they were looking for stray bikes with bad locks or unlocked bikes & this was in broad daylight ... so make sure you lock your bike or in my case, keep the bike a little dusty and muggy. best deterrent yet!! :D 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018, 9:28:13, Krieg said:

Universal income will be our next thing.   (Money without working).

 

I've been reading that the Finland basic income scheme hasn't worked well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

 

I've been reading that the Finland basic income scheme hasn't worked well.

 

- got a link please?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mendaki said:

btw, Munich folks, Ive seen men at different Ubahn stations checking out bikes... I can only assume they were looking for stray bikes with bad locks or unlocked bikes & this was in broad daylight ... so make sure you lock your bike or in my case, keep the bike a little dusty and muggy. best deterrent yet!! :D 

 

I know someone who bought a used bike but a good one and he had to wait for the former owner to take all the stickers off.  The former owner had used it as a theft deterrent, just wallpapered the bike with all kinds of stickers, making it easily recognizable, ugly and quite a bit of work for a thief to peel off, or for himself.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Himself informed me that my 22 yr. old Kettler city bike was stolen in our marina over the winter. I had it locked to a steel gate. Sad. It was a damn good old bike.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

 

I've been reading that the Finland basic income scheme hasn't worked well.

 

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Here's one of many.

 

Well, the problem is how to define "fail".  You can see that it is considered a failure and it will be most probably stopped because some people thought it was a way to get unemployed people to find a job.  Why do they think that? and how could that be a target of the pilot? I am not sure.

 

The whole idea of universal income is that people take the money and live with it. How can that fail?   Of course if unemployed people have more income they may be less interested in finding a job.  But that's the whole idea of universal income, that people who do not work have a decent income because in the future the unemployment rates will be seriously higher due to massive jobs lost to automation.

 

I am also not sure how they came to the conclusion that universal income would increase poverty.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw. a lot of beggars (roma especially) on the street are part of groups who beg. I know that for sure, because strangely enough, my parents know a family that does that (although in Sweden). And they make quite a good amount of money per day (~300 EUR). Usually, the beggars are from one roma family that uses all relatives (and trust me, they have a lot!). Btw., they also teach their kids from a very young age to steal, but if you know them (or their parents) then they would not be allowed to steal from you.

 

Regarding the beggars in Bornheim Mitte, I have seen a red car stopping next to Aldi, Rewe, Commerzbank and in front of the old cinema and a guy from the same etnicity collecting the money from them, giving them sandwiches, etc. I am sure he is the leader of the group. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018, 7:58:11, Krieg said:

 

The whole idea of universal income is that people take the money and live with it. How can that fail?   

 

Because that isnt actually the idea. The idea is to replace the whole horribly complex and expensive unemployment system with a simple payment that is funded by reducing burocracy.

 

Aside from reduced administration costs one of the big benefits is removing the poverty trap by which unemployed people can actually become worse off by working. It is thought that by removing this more people will work. More people working means more tax,  more tax more money to pay for the system.

 

Most obvious way it can fail is like any other welfare system.  Too little tax incone to fund it (or too many schools hositals etc have to be closed to fund it).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Aside from reduced administration costs one of the big benefits is removing the poverty trap by which unemployed people can actually become worse off by working. It is thought that by removing this more people will work. More people working means more tax,  more tax more money to pay for the system.

 

What if there are not enough jobs for everyone?

 

This old idea that people do not work because they do not want to.  Yes, there might be some people with that mentality, but there are plenty of people who really can't find a job.  And things will get worse in the future.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now