Beggars knocking on your door

100 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I was standing directly behind a woman at an ATM the other day. A beggar guy in a wheelchair, dishevelled, made a beeline for her, rolled RIGHT UP up to her as she was using the machine. His wheels were literally touching the ATM

if someone made a beeline for me while i am standing at the ATM i would totally scream out loud! that is one of the best privileges of being a woman!

sorry guys, it would not look very macho if you did :lol:

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Why does anyone open the door to someone they don't know ever???

Ah. Grew up in a different place. In a different time. Back doors were left unlocked. You new most of the people in the surrounding streets by name if they were not of your own extended clan and said hello to everyone who passed whether you knew them or not. And they would return the same with a smile... yes, really.

Things have definitely changed. One has to acquire a different set of reflexes.

We had beggars knock on our door as well. Said they had just moved to Germany. I was used to it in the inner cities, but in the suburbs?

15 minutes ago, optimista said:

Ah. Grew up in a different place. In a different time.

It's all a different place and different time now. 10 years ago in Nbg., you didn't have to worry much. I had never been confronted like I was yesterday.

Assylant-looking chick Standing in front of the Sparkasse in NBG. Hauptbahnhof begging for money.  I ignored her, did my Business and attempted to walk out. suddenly there are three men with her, one of them supposedly blind, blocking the door. As I tried to step over the blind dude's stick, he lifted it to try and trip me. I stumbled a litte, but kept on my feet and kept on walking.

If the dude was really just a blind man, trying to get in, I acted like an asshole, but I don't care. You can't be too careful anymore.

Noo, that is super suspicious and a variation of the infamous "drunken dancing with strangers" (while picking their pocket) ploy.

Nbg Hbf is the most weird place in Germany, full of creepy people. Sometimes there is a lot of police with rifles, sometimes no police at all.

They banned alcohol consumption there, but when there is no police it's useless.

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Gawd, Guest. I hope you took a photo and reported them.

Actually, I felt bad for "accidentally" tripping over the dude's stick, until I thought about it and realised that it was certainly not an accident.

1 minute ago, yourkeau said:

They banned alcohol consumption there, but when there is no police it's useless.

Only after 10 O'clock PM, oder?

Yes, these things happen in an instant with a lot of shouda, woulda, coulda after the fact.

Glad they didn't nick your wallet or something.

4 minutes ago, Guest said:

Only after 10 O'clock PM, oder?

I don't know, I just remember reading some news about the ban. I also wanted to buy some beer once (not for consumption at Hbf, obviously) and found out that there is none even at Lidl.

A big contrast to Munich where you can even get Crew Republic (best Munich brewery). But Munich is very well policed.

On the Ubahn this afternoon a young man was begging but only from women.

This pisses me off on general principle.  I also don't care for the train begging as I am pretty much a captive audience.

Yesterday it was a woman outside the Rewe.  Told her I don't speak enough German to understand her.  I came back out with a wheeled cart full of groceries.  She asked me if I spoke English.  I said yes, immediately got the "I have six children who are hungry".  I said "Sorry,  my wallet is in the bottom of this bag and I don't wish to dig it up".  She raised her voice and said "Americans are supposed to be generous".  and I said "In Germany beggars aren't allowed to be aggressive."  She looked very frightened and took off.

Beggars sitting quietly,  buskers,  I will find some change every time.  But  approach me at the ATM or the parking pay machine and you release my inner Hulk.

We have the guy with the crippled feet and the continuous twitch, he covers 3 towns in the area and we think he is probably begging with a group and gets shuttled around. We also have the old women who constantly rocks as she begs, before she starts, she walks to her desired patch perfectly normally as if nothing's wrong. Then we have the begging couple. She does the town centre while he does the underpass from the railway station, they both meet up for a fag outside our place and have been seen driving to and from the town. She does go to church on Sundays - sits outside waiting for the congregation to come out. I have to work so why should I give anything to freeloaders when there is a social system in place.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Gawd, Guest. I hope you took a photo and reported them.

I hate say this, but report to *whom*?

The police will trash the complaint.

Any security guards in the Nuernberg Hauptbahnhof? I sure would not know where to go and find them if they weren't on the spot.

2 hours ago, Guest said:

Actually, I felt bad for "accidentally" tripping over the dude's stick, until I thought about it and realised that it was certainly not an accident.

Oh no, that warn't no accident. You be careful, boo.

49 minutes ago, French bean said:

I have to work so why should I give anything to freeloaders when there is a social system in place.

I agree, but the social system ain’t all that great anymore. 

how long do they let you stay on unemployment? 8 - 12 months? After that you have to get rid of all your savings, your house, etc. and jump through hoops to get 400 bucks a month. 

Tell me this is still a country that takes care of you when you’re down. 

I understand it couldn’t continue the way it was, I’m just saying it ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. 

52 minutes ago, Guest said:

how long do they let you stay on unemployment? 8 - 12 months? After that you have to get rid of all your savings, your house, etc. and jump through hoops to get 400 bucks a month. 

Tell me this is still a country that takes care of you when you’re down. 

I understand it couldn’t continue the way it was, I’m just saying it ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. 

400 a month plus your rent, heating, health care and X € per kid. It's not going to allow for a lavish lifestyle but it's good enough that many low income ppl already don't see the point of working. If it were any higher there'd be more low income ppl choosing not to bother.

There has to be a balance between minimum wage and benefits. If benefits go up, minimum wage has to go up too.

I understand all that. That’s the way it was in the 90’s and we see how that worked out. I’m just saying it’s not a rose garden. 

57 minutes ago, Metall said:

Any security guards in the Nuernberg Hauptbahnhof? I sure would not know where to go and find them if they weren't on the spot.

As I wrote above, when they are there nothing happens. These kind of people are not idiots: they only harrass you when there is no security in the vicinity. The only thing you can do is file Anzeige at Bundespolizei (every railway station has a police station). But since nobody was injured, you will get a letter that "proceedings canceled due to lack of public interest".

57 minutes ago, Guest said:

I guess bedigungsloses Grundeinkommen will replace Hartz IV. Because, well, the number of unqualified jobs is decreasing due to robots. At some point 10% of people will work, 90% do whatever they want because they are not needed by the system.

6 hours ago, Guest said:

Assylant-looking chick Standing in front of the Sparkasse in NBG. Hauptbahnhof begging for money.  I ignored her, did my Business and attempted to walk out. suddenly there are three men with her, one of them supposedly blind, blocking the door. As I tried to step over the blind dude's stick, he lifted it to try and trip me. I stumbled a litte, but kept on my feet and kept on walking

this def sounds very syndicate-ish! Almost sounds like a scene out of an Asian/ Chinese movie! I would expect to hear this happening in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia or even Singapore where small crime syndicates are rampant... it's really sad to hear that syndicates are beginning to infiltrate the society here as well... the one thing I truly appreciate(d) about living in Germany was safety ;( so much for that. 

A girlfriend had her handbag stolen from behind her at a cafe & this was Munich! Two years ago, someone stole my daughter's bicycle which was locked to a pole outside a bank. My husband was baffled when that happened because in his German mind, who would steal a 3 year old's bike?