Beggars knocking on your door

100 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Guest said:

Lucky dude.

Too bad 1 pound was too much to ask.

3 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Well, okay but bear in mind he is a human being, and that in a split second you could be in his shoes. The line between being rich and poor is razor thin.

Razor thin is a bit of an exaggeration.  But I get your point.  So do lots of other people, which is why Germany is chock full of social services paid for by hefty Einkommensteuer + 19% tax on all goods and services.  No need for begging in Germany, in public or elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Too bad 1 pound was too much to ask.

Alas, he only had an ounce to give...

its awful where i live, for geographical reasons.  They don't just knock on the door, if you open it, they push gently on it to keep it open and say "bitte, bitte, sechs kinder" or something like that.  Then they come knock on the window saying "please please" over and over in that low sad voice.  Its like zombies trying to get in, which is awful to say because yes they ARE human, but I get really really antsy about it when i have young girls in my house and are sometimes at home alone.  They know not to answer the door, but i still worry.  

We are getting a camera doorbell for this reason.  I just can't take it anymore.  We also get JWs, but they are rather nice and don't ask you for much.

But the begging we get here is literally BEGGING, and its soul crushing. 

I never, ever, open the door to beggars/magazine pushers/fake poll takers.

I've had a number of experiences with these guys - a goodly number of them were casing the house and me for future burglary or immediate robbery.

Sorry for the real poor - I can't tell them apart.

On the other hand, I have poor acquaintances who are *really* struggling. I have found jobs for them and supported them in other ways.

We had a spate of people with pre-printed cards as described above, knocking at the door. I send them away, mostly because I fear that if you give to one, the jungle drums will beat and they will all come.

I did give a euro to an old drunk once, and then I couldn't get rid of him. Eventually we moved :o

I was standing directly behind a woman at an ATM the other day. A beggar guy in a wheelchair, dishevelled, made a beeline for her, rolled RIGHT UP up to her as she was using the machine. His wheels were literally touching the ATM and her by the time he got close enough.

This was in a busy Passage with cctv cameras everywhere... 

He wouldn't go away and kept pestering the woman. I said something like "let the woman get on with things in peace, or you get nothing" and he rolled off.

I kind of hate myself for being one of "those guys" who gives out on the streets, but the woman was getting stressed, and had it been a big burly guy at the ATM, I don't think the beggar would have even dared try his luck.

I probably would have tossed him a coin, but not when he's behaving like that. If I ever see him again, he won't be getting a charitable donation from me, that's for sure. 

49 minutes ago, Metall said:

I never, ever, open the door to beggars/magazine pushers/fake poll takers.

I've had a number of experiences with these guys - a goodly number of them were casing the house and me for future burglary or immediate robbery.

Sorry for the real poor - I can't tell them apart.

On the other hand, I have poor acquaintances who are *really* struggling. I have found jobs for them and supported them in other ways.

I check from kitchen window, and use the chain in the door- no , do not give at the door. I may give coins to beggars in the shopping streets.

In case you see beggars with signs that they need money because they are hungry, tell them to go to the Bahnhofsmission at the Hauptbahnhof. They serve tea and bread 3 times a day (at least in Munich) to everyone, no questions asked.

Very often the bakeries in the train station donate sandwiches and cakes that they haven´t sold, so instead of the usual (boring) margarine or lard bread, they can get *real* sandwiches (vegetarian and meat), and cakes, croissants etc.

If the beggars needs money for a train ticket, or cigarettes or whatever, fine. But no one needs to beg for money because they are hungry because they can´t afford to buy food.

In my village and out in the environs nearby, is 'the metal man.' A truck that goes around collecting scrap metal. Sometimes the inhabitants of the truck are a family, sometimes two guys. They just are really great to have come by because we have pleanty of scrap metal around here! However, they usually add in, like today, when they took away the old tin roofing that had been buried under dirt for a decade or more: 'Got 1 Euro for me?' No. You just got our metal. Sometimes they ask for a bottle of water. If I have any around, and usually I don't, it's a small bottle. Once I gave a lady from the metal truck a small bottle of water, that was ok for her, but another time I gave a small bottle to a guy and he looked at it like, 'WTF?! Too little water lady.' Granted, it was in summer and a hot day but that was all the bottled water I had. Besides, they got the Pfand. 

1 hour ago, cybil said:

I gave a small bottle to a guy and he looked at it like, 'WTF?!

Yep. Whatever you give is never enough...

5 hours ago, paulwork said:

I was standing directly behind a woman at an ATM the other day. A beggar guy in a wheelchair, dishevelled, made a beeline for her, rolled RIGHT UP up to her as she was using the machine. His wheels were literally touching the ATM and her by the time he got close enough.

This was in a busy Passage with cctv cameras everywhere... 

He wouldn't go away and kept pestering the woman. I said something like "let the woman get on with things in peace, or you get nothing" and he rolled off.

I kind of hate myself for being one of "those guys" who gives out on the streets, but the woman was getting stressed, and had it been a big burly guy at the ATM, I don't think the beggar would have even dared try his luck.

I probably would have tossed him a coin, but not when he's behaving like that. If I ever see him again, he won't be getting a charitable donation from me, that's for sure. 

Beggars at ATM machines aren't after coins. They want cash money.

Why does anyone open the door to someone they don't know ever???

Mind boggling.

Our bell has been unusually busy of late ... people ringing us claiming to be the postman (I don't understand how the postal service is profitable these days ... sometimes they come 3x a day!) or people claiming to be 'friends' of neighbours who want to drop something off for them, etc.

I don't mind opening the door but sometimes I can't help feeling a little worried about who I am letting in because we don't have a camera...  Although we don't get beggars like some of you and JWs do come occasionally, I can't help but feel like there is an increasing need to know who I am allowing into our building.

Has anyone ever tried requesting their landlord to fix a camera at their front door? Cameras are not very expensive these days and I for one, would not mind paying extra for it. I just don't know how to hook the rest of the neighbours to the same camera :P

Is it legal to fix a camera at the door in the first place? more importantly, is it pointless to even try to make this request? We rent and our building is owned by MEAG. 

1 hour ago, mendaki said:

Our bell has been unusually busy of late ... people ringing us claiming to be the postman (I don't understand how the postal service is profitable these days ... sometimes they come 3x a day!) or people claiming to be 'friends' of neighbors who want to drop something off for them, etc.

I don't mind opening the door but sometimes I can't help feeling a little worried about who I am letting in G. 

I know this very well, and for a while (when I was home sick) I would watch them a bit. Sadly, 90% of these people were not the postman, and also did not visit the neighbors. They would walk around a bit and leave again.

Casing the joint, as it were.

Don't open the door. The postman doesn't need you to.

Be safe.

3 hours ago, mendaki said:

Has anyone ever tried requesting their landlord to fix a camera at their front door? Cameras are not very expensive these days and I for one, would not mind paying extra for it. I just don't know how to hook the rest of the neighbours to the same camera :P

Is it legal to fix a camera at the door in the first place? more importantly, is it pointless to even try to make this request? We rent and our building is owned by MEAG.

You do not live in Chicago, do you? If you're so scared, take a pepper spray before opening the door.

Don't open the door. The postman doesn't need you to.

And then the same people complain that the postman doesn't deliver parcels in another thread...

11 hours ago, mendaki said:

Has anyone ever tried requesting their landlord to fix a camera at their front door? Cameras are not very expensive these days and I for one, would not mind paying extra for it.

Our owners' association has debated this recently, because our intercom system is on its last legs and will have to be replaced soon. Unfortunately, the total price difference between systems with and without cameras (for a 16-unit building) is over 5,000 euros, largely due to the display-equipped intercoms that are needed in every unit. 2 of the 12 owners (the ones who don't live in the building, natch) refuse to approve this extra expense. Since this is considered an upgrade rather than a repair, a unanimous decision is needed, so nothing has happened yet.

Our building management said that they expect camera-equipped doorbell systems to be declared as a standard in the next 3-5 years, at which point a simple majority of owner votes will suffice to approve it. Unless a lack of camera intercoms starts affecting your rental company's bottom line, which is unlikely given your location, I wouldn't expect them to implement any expensive upgrades soon. But it never hurts to ask.

9 hours ago, yourkeau said:

And then the same people complain that the postman doesn't deliver parcels in another thread...

hehe, true. damn if you do, damn if you don't 

Just now, mendaki said:

If you're so scared, take a pepper spray before opening the door

I don't think I need the pepper spray (yet). we have an intercom. just can't see who I am letting in. 

11 hours ago, Metall said:

The postman doesn't need you to.

sometimes our postman does, especially when the parcels don't fit in our teeny mailboxes. our mailboxes are built outside our main door... although come to think of it, you are right. there are postmen who have keys to buildings right? or not.:unsure: but DHL guys def need to be rang in.   

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Our building management said that they expect camera-equipped doorbell systems to be declared as a standard in the next 3-5 years, at which point a simple majority of owner votes will suffice to approve it. Unless a lack of camera intercoms starts affecting your rental company's bottom line, which is unlikely given your location, I wouldn't expect them to implement any expensive upgrades soon. But it never hurts to ask.

it took the management over a year to agree to fixing the lift in our building... the lift was an older system and needed special parts yadayadayada which cost more to fix... so come think of it, i doubt they would give in so easily to a camera-equipped doorbell system. but i am going to run the idea by one of our more outspoken neighbours and see what they say...