Beggars knocking on your door

100 posts in this topic

I had a Roma looking guy ring my doorbell not long ago and hand me a note saying how his house burned down and what not. I told him he should go look for a job. He did not protest. 

I am sure they had a group doing door to door in my neighborhood, tomorrow they'll be in another and the day after that they'll be in the next town. They do it because enough people give them money to make it worth it. 

I had similar happen in Canada except they weren't Roma, just bums. One got my neighbors wife for $20 saying that his child was having an asthma attack and he couldn't afford the medication. I asked her to consider that if it had been true, he would be calling an ambulance, not going door to door begging. 

(just changed the title to beggArs..) !!:lol: First abuse of power ever on here!!!! Apparently, old timers are allowed to correct outrageously poor spelling....( quickly checks his own...)....

Not really the same but a friend of mine from England with a German wife emigrated to New Zealand and became a postman. His  major joke was to knock on the door of anyone with a German name, letter en mano, wait for the German to open the door and then say in German: " Schön guten Tag! Ein Brief vom Finanzamt! " (hello there, a letter from the Tax Office in Germany )...

5 hours ago, naberlin said:

The fact that someone on this forum posted this kind of message is not particularly surprising.   But the fact that you got six greenies for it (as of now) is rather disturbing. I guess they are probably the ones complaining about refugees bringing down German culture?

9 greenies now.

What kind of person can post something like that? And the usual labellers are quite silent this time.

ETA: Oh now, sorrry, I see they actually LIKE it. Fraufruit gave a greenie. Hypocrite!

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

As American as you are, a Jehovah's Witness ringing your bell would have had the same result - dog barking and waking up your toddler who you referred to as a "fussy asshole". That can happen over there or over here.

Jehovah's Witnesses don't go door to door anymore. They stand around with an information board and change location the next day. 

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

As American as you are, a Jehovah's Witness ringing your bell would have had the same result - dog barking and waking up your toddler who you referred to as a "fussy asshole". That can happen over there or over here.

And when the Jehovas's Witnesses did that in America they were met with the same response. 

JWs still occasionally knock on my door.  I open it, say with a smile that I'm definitely not interested, and we all agree to have a nice day.  Then I close the door and all is peaceful for several months.  

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Jehovah's Witnesses don't go door to door anymore.

We get them 3 or 4 times per year in Schwabing. I use the katheliz method - no nerves involved.

7 hours ago, Petro6golf said:

The dog immediately starts barking and wakes up the baby (who will not go back to sleep once awake and will be a fussy asshole all day because his nap was cut short).

Fussy Asshole?  Almost sounds like you have a similar disdain for cranky babies as you do for the  uninvited visitor ringing your bell looking for a hand out. 

3 hours ago, razorsandroses said:
3 hours ago, razorsandroses said:

The only thing JW people ask for is your time, not your money.

... in the short term. All churches want your treasure. I stopped going when they paid the clergy 200,000 Euros salary from donations and 10,000 Euros for outreach.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

@fraufruit: I haven't seen them in my neighborhood. Actually, I thought they changed their strategy. I see them at the Hbf and also outside my company premises at 8:30 am when all the people go to office. Years ago, Mormones from Utah went door to door in my hometown in the Netherlands. They spoke Dutch with a funny American accent. Very friendly.

This very same thing happened to me today, only I live near Stuttgart and the person who rang the bell was male.  He acted like he was deaf or something.  I just threw the paper down and slammed the door in his face. I hate it when people ring the bell and get the dogs riled up.

You could just verbally ask them how much they want - 10, or 100? If their eyes flash, you know damn well they're not deaf. I urge everyone to know a few words in sign language too :-)

I have a rule when I meet a beggar, or see any charity box anywhere. Always give a small amount. When a person comes to my door with a note asking for help I give a Euro then they usually go. Once he asked for more but i said no but that was the only time. Usually they smile and are happy. 

I was down in London once and a teenage girl asked me for a pound. I gave it her and my mate said "She'll only spend it on drink or drugs" I told him that's not my problem, and even if she did, it took the misery away briefly. 

In UK pubs when they had a fire engine by the bar raising money for the local brigade I always used to put my pint change in it.

I never give loads but always a small amount.

14 hours ago, paulwork said:

You could just verbally ask them how much they want - 10, or 100? If their eyes flash, you know damn well they're not deaf. I urge everyone to know a few words in sign language too :-)

That's a good idea.  I probably also should have brought my phone and snapped a photo.

Unfortunately, I think these folks go from town to town looking to see who's not at home and who has noisy dogs so they can target houses to burgle.  There have been rashes of break ins down here and sometimes they are preceded by people begging at the door.  I was in a foul mood yesterday and wasn't prepared to deal with some random guy at the door.  I also have two loud dogs who go nuts when people ring the bell, although I don't have any babies napping.

https://www.bbheute.de/nachrichten/kreis-boeblingen-polizei-warnt-vor-bettlerbanden-22-2-2017/

As for charity giving, I'm all for that, but not when someone comes to my house uninvited and disrupts my peace.  I wouldn't want to reward someone for begging door to door because I don't want to encourage it.

10 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

As for charity giving, I'm all for that, but not when someone comes to my house uninvited and disrupts my peace.  I wouldn't want to reward someone for begging door to door because I don't want to encourage it.

Well, okay but bear in mind he is a human being, and that in a split second you could be in his shoes. The line between being rich and poor is razor thin.

13 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

When a person comes to my door with a note asking for help I give a Euro then they usually go.

And that's why we get beggars coming to our doors.

If nobody ever gave them anything then they'd give up. 

13 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

I was down in London once and a teenage girl asked me for a pound.

Lucky dude.

I occasionally crack when I see a genuinely sad case, although this happens to me less and less as I get older and more cynical. The best guarantee of them getting nothing is when they ask directly.