Beggars knocking on your door

100 posts in this topic

So at the moment I live in a village outside Gross Gerau while we are looking for a house to purchase in the area. The other day at around noon, I put my 2 year old down for a nap as I always do. About an hour later the doorbell rings (usually its Deutsch Post or UPS with a package for us or a neighbor). The dog immediately starts barking and wakes up the baby (who will not go back to sleep once awake and will be a fussy asshole all day because his nap was cut short). I go outside and a middle eastern looking lady is standing at our gate holding a piece of paper and trying to put on her saddest face possible.

My German is not amazing (im learning) so I ask her if I can help her (in German). She says nothing, stands there and hands me the paper. I read it and basically is says in German she is a refugee, has no job, just moved here, has a squad load of kids and needs money and if I can please give her money. Now my wife works for unemployment in another town and spends her days assisting these people with getting jobs and benefits and what not. I am well aware that if you come to Germany as a refugee you will be provided with a place to live and food and all the tools and opportunities necessary to start your new life; so I know this person is begging and is going around the village door to door trying to rip off people who make an honest living and pay a crazy amount of taxes just so people like this lady can have a new life.

This made me really angry, I used some choice words and informed this lady she needed to leave immediately. I walked away and she was still standing at the gate to which I had to use more choice words to make it clearer she needed to leave (which she did). 

Has anyone experienced this before? If you wanna panhandle in public place then fine have at it but dont come and wake up my toddler at my house asking for money. I regret not keeping the note while I had it in my hand.

Lol, your awful reputation here made me laugh out loud. I do love some good trolling though. Keep up the good work.

The wife would not have supported the whole rape and human trafficking aspect of our encounter and besides, its not really my thing.

This happens here on a regular basis but they are not refugees.   If I ask who it is on the intercom, they even say "Die Post". so I open the door.   When I see who it is,  I just say sorry no, and shut the door.   Not sure it's worth getting really angry about. 

I used to turn the doorbell down or off when my babies napped.  Though you might have to disable your dog's bark as well I suppose!

3 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

This happens here on a regular basis but they are not refugees.   If I ask who it is on the intercom, they even say "Die Post". so I open the door.   When I see who it is,  I just say sorry no, and shut the door.   Not sure it's worth getting really angry about. 

I used to turn the doorbell down or off when my babies napped.  Though you might have to disable your dog's bark as well I suppose!

We are staying with family and the wife does not want me to mess with things around the house. I already changed the water temperature from freezing to bearable and got an earful. I know its not really worth getting angry about but as many Americans feel, my home is my sanctuary and I should be free to go about my day inside my residence without being bothered by some bottom feeder asking for money. I hate freeloaders, scammers and people trying to run game on other people for money. As for the dog thats another issue in and of its self. 

If you accost me in a public place asking for money thats one thing and part of going out in public but dont come to my house, wake up my toddler and ask me for my hard earned money.

WE have also had Roma knocking at door.   No aggression, so we smile and say no. A door chain is useful. and I always check from kitchen window to see who it is.

You got me HOT!

I don't see how on God's earth you would tolerate something like that. Hell, I don't even like being stopped out in public and pestered for money--or worse yet, in a restaurant (Had one schmuck pick up a slice of my pizza and ask "Bitte?" Damn near wanted to stab him with my fork!) Begging in public is one thing, disrupting someone peace in the home is a whole different ballpark that should have been reported to the police. If there isn't a law against that, make one! I'll be goddamned if I now have to screen out who is ringing my fucking bell!

</antisocial>

35 minutes ago, aeris_gainsborough said:

You should have invited her inside, and then raped her. Kept her hostage as a sex slave for a few months as an added bonus, and then sold her to a human trafficking ring once you got bored of her.

The fact that someone on this forum posted this kind of message is not particularly surprising.   But the fact that you got six greenies for it (as of now) is rather disturbing. I guess they are probably the ones complaining about refugees bringing down German culture?

13 minutes ago, naberlin said:

But the fact that you got six greenies for it (as of now) is rather disturbing

though as @aeris_gainsborough admitted on an earlier thread to having (at least) one other TT identity, it might partly explain his popularity?

40 minutes ago, razorsandroses said:

You got me HOT!

I don't see how on God's earth you would tolerate something like that. Hell, I don't even like being stopped out in public and pestered for money--or worse yet, in a restaurant (Had one schmuck pick up a slice of my pizza and ask "Bitte?" Damn near wanted to stab him with my fork!) Begging in public is one thing, disrupting someone peace in the home is a whole different ballpark that should have been reported to the police. If there isn't a law against that, make one! I'll be goddamned if I now have to screen out who is ringing my fucking bell!

</antisocial>

I completely agree with you. My level of toleration was telling her to fuck off and get the fuck off my property.

I dont see the purpose in reporting it to the police. I was a cop in California and we frequently received calls of shady magazine subscription people in the area etc and it was extremely annoying. By the time we showed up they were usually gone. Im pretty sure the cops have other things to do other than deal with this stuff. The cuss out she received from me was the best punishment she would get. I regret not keeping her note though.

26 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

though as @aeris_gainsborough admitted on an earlier thread to having (at least) one other TT identity, it might partly explain his popularity?

Puh! I actually find it damn funny, especially if it would be a lowlife subhuman Roma maggot!

</antisocial>

2 hours ago, razorsandroses said:

Puh! I actually find it damn funny, especially if it would be a lowlife subhuman Roma maggot!

:fpalm

:puke2 

Hinweis: neither these people nor lawmakers read this forum.

It would be good to have a law against calling, but realistically how do you imagine enforcement? Klingelstreichen (door bell calling by drunk students at 3 am) are illegal, but good luck calling police and catching the assholes.

My advice: make a door bell for deaf people (blinking flashlight instead of bell), that way nobody will awake your kid.

24 minutes ago, optimista said:

I feel the OP's pain. Yes, I am aware the Roma have a sad, bad reputation. There are reasons for that too and no, I wouldn't want them on my doorstep either. However, "lowlife subhuman Roma maggots" are fully-fledged human beings with the same number of chromosomes as the rest of us and doubtless worthy of more respect than someone who coins such an eloquent label for others.

Not true, they miss the chromosome that makes us afraid of electricity. In Portugal there are always a few of them per year that die by electrocution when stealing copper wire from live medium voltage installations! 

4 hours ago, Petro6golf said:

I know its not really worth getting angry about but as many Americans feel, my home is my sanctuary and I should be free to go about my day inside my residence without being bothered

As American as you are, a Jehovah's Witness ringing your bell would have had the same result - dog barking and waking up your toddler who you referred to as a "fussy asshole". That can happen over there or over here.

26 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

My advice: make a door bell for deaf people (blinking flashlight instead of bell), that way nobody will awake your kid.

I actually disabled my door bell 10 years ago (in Portugal). If people want to meet me, they should have my number and call me.

I receive my mail packages at work.