Moving to Köln in 2018

21 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

Apologies in advance for long winded-ness of this post and if I am going over old topics.

My wife and I are Australians, and we're looking to move to Köln in February/March of 2018 so that she can carry out some unpaid research for a year. Obviously, we have a lot of questions that will be answered in time, however there are some that I think that if answered could better direct our focus on what we need to do before relocating.

What are my chances of getting a job with the skills I have? and should I look at other nearby cities/areas?

I've worked for 8 years in IT support, then worked for 3 as a Civil Draftsman and went back to IT support early this year as the pay and job security were much better. I have a Bachelor of Science in Internet Computing and a Associate Degree in Civil Eng. I have other Vocational certificates but I imagine that they will not be a factor when job hunting. I have my Goethe A1 and will do some intensive language courses before the move. I am also looking at Cisco and Microsoft certs as I can see there is a bit of work around (not so much in Köln, but Dusseldorf and Bonn) for these.

Is there anything that you would recommend that we could be doing now (6+ months out) that would help the transition?

My wife is in the process of getting her Italian passport and I am trying to follow up my Polish ancestry in the hope that if we can get theses a lot of the visa and immigration process will be less bureaucratic.

What documents should we get translated?

Resumes\CVs and Degrees are the obvious ones, but is there something obvious that we may not have thought about.

Finally, where are nice areas to live that aren't to far from the University which are well serviced by public transport?

Remembering that whilst we will be working we do hope to immerse ourselves in German\Köln culture as much as possible and that we will be on a single income, subsidised by what we can save here before the move.

Thanks for any response, 

Anthony

4 minutes ago, Jigs said:

Is there anything that you would recommend that we could be doing now (6+ months out) that would help the transition?

Look into health insurance. If neither of you have had public health insurance in the EU during the past 5 years, you'll need private (or BaFin-approved foreign) health insurance.

I recomend that you re-consider...

Housing... 7000€  ( Deposit 2100.. approx)

Electric....720

Water...720

Cable/internet  450

Cell phones.. 300

health insurance...5000 ( if you are really lucky)

Public transport...   300

Food....4000

So... thats close on 21 thousand Euro... Just for the absolute basics and one of you will be doing Voluntary work....

Lets say you land a 50 grand a year job... Take off about 20 grand for taxes etc... then your 21 grand for living and you are suddenly left with 9 grand for flights home... hollidays and beer etc etc!

And this is if you are really really lucky!

For housing I'd suggust looking at furnished places as all costs will be (usually) included. While more expensive it will reduce the hassle factor. For health insurance drop @john g. a line he was offering Bafin approved travel insurance which was suited for this purpose. Beyond those two things the rest is just having sufficient savings. 

20 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I recomend that you re-consider...

Not really an option and we're focusing on having:

13 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

sufficient savings.

before we get here. I'm interested in working over there simply so we don't go to far backwards financially, as well as the challenge and experience of course.

Thanks @Tim Hortons Man and @engelchen, we hadn't thought of Health insurance at all. 

Ok.. 

So you are saying that you will have sufficient savings...  Nice..

Dont forget that you will need to get a Visa of some sort, and Visas are often dished out based on risk factor that you will or wont start to cost the country a fortune!

Wife is here on Volutary work... ie zero income... currently dont have a job here... ie Zero income..

Ask yourselfif you were the Visa handerouter... are you a financial risk to Germany or not?

@SpiderPig have I said something or done something to annoy or offend you? Sorry if I have.

I was trying to get some information by laying out some initial qiestions in a, what I thought, quite informative manner.

Our visa's can be organised through the research project if that helps.

2 hours ago, Jigs said:

have I said something or done something to annoy or offend you? Sorry if I have.

I was trying to get some information by laying out some initial qiestions in a, what I thought, quite informative manner.

If Spiderpig's "no thrill no gimmicks" approach of saying things they way they are pisses you of, Germany is not the country you ought to move to. You won't like it here.

I am trying to follow up my Polish ancestry

Is there a single ancestor who had Polish citizenship at the time of your birth? Knowing an ancestor being born there or having a polish birth certificate isn't enough...

Polish ancestry (yes , grandfather) and financials were not the questions I asked. I think that's all that has taken me aback. I'm not pissed, just treading lightly as I'm the one seeking information.

There were any number of questions I could have asked. Maybe I've provided too much information and that has muddied the waters.

43 minutes ago, Jigs said:

Polish ancestry (yes , grandfather) and financials were not the questions I asked. I think that's all that has taken me aback. I'm not pissed, just treading lightly as I'm the one seeking information.

There were any number of questions I could have asked. Maybe I've provided too much information and that has muddied the waters.

Take all advice with  grace. This is a public forum- so we all feel free to comment, advise, criticise. And all for free!

Most  have lived here for some time, have gone through arriving and all the  hassle involved.

Much good advice,  comments about how hard it can be, especially for non EU citizens, is very valid.   No-one is trying to annoy you- just their  view on life  as an expat.

BTW- having lived and worked in Australia- I found they  were even more blunt in opinions and advice!!  

8 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Ok.. 

So you are saying that you will have sufficient savings...  Nice..

Dont forget that you will need to get a Visa of some sort, and Visas are often dished out based on risk factor that you will or wont start to cost the country a fortune!

Wife is here on Volutary work... ie zero income... currently dont have a job here... ie Zero income..

Ask yourselfif you were the Visa handerouter... are you a financial risk to Germany or not?

He mentioned the wife is applying for an Italian passport so residency won't be an issue. 

For health insurance drop John G a line. mention you're looking for his Bafin approved travel insurance (if it's still avaialble)

1 hour ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

He mentioned the wife is applying for an Italian passport so residency won't be an issue. 

For health insurance drop John G a line. mention you're looking for his Bafin approved travel insurance (if it's still avaialble)

Did not  @PandaMunich recently advise that EU citizens are not eligible the Bafin approved travel insurance?

If so, better to not become EU.

Are you planning to be here for just a year? 

Yes, see here:

Though they may not have a choice, the wife's EU passport would allow them to live and work here, the alternative would be a research visa under §20 AufenthG, but that would mean showing that she had savings/income of at least 1,936.67€ per month of her stay (source, open section "Das Wichtigste in Kürze"):

"Für die Erteilung einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis nach § 20 Aufenthaltsgesetz gilt der Lebensunterhalt eines Ausländers ab dem 1.1.2015 ohne weitere Prüfung als gesichert, wenn dieser über einen Nettomindestbetrag in Höhe von 1.936,67 Euro monatlich in den alten Bundesländern oder 1.680 Euro monatlich in den neuen Bundesländern verfügt.
Bei Unterschreitung dieser Beträge ist in jedem Einzelfall zu prüfen, ob ein Anspruch auf öffentliche Leistungen besteht."

So for a research visa for a year she would need at least 23,236.44€ in savings, plus whatever they deem necessary for his upkeep.
Without the wife's EU passport, getting a visa under a different section, e.g. a Working Holiday Visa (if they're under 30) would work out better (= cheaper).

For health insurance that's permitted for EU citizens, please see here (both @john g. and @Starshollow will sell it to her): https://www.alchealth.com/quote.htm 

As long as he doesn't get EU citizenship, he could probably get away with getting a cheaper health insurance from Mawista or Care Concept.

Evening, Panda! Great post as usual. Your patience and knowledge are amazing!

Just a point.. your last sentence: " as long as he doesn´t get EU citizenship..etc "  ...even IF he gets EU citizenship, it doesn´t help with private German health insurance...who the f... is he as far as German private insurers are concerned? No  history in Germany, Schufa...forget it...health checks come into question, too. And income. 

And then the client says: I want cheap and I want this and that and I don´t want this and that. And then the client says I want this and that for a couple of months and then I want to switch to this and that and it doesn´t work.

And then I absolutely agree with you, Panda, yep..you can´t get into the system and you do Mawista or Care Concept .and then your circumstances change and you want proper public insurance or private and then..oh dear...but what else can you do? Your final words " he could probably get away with.."..that´s it. Draw of the lotttery....case worker may be in a good mood or not...

6 hours ago, Jigs said:

[..]as I'm the one seeking information.

There were any number of questions I could have asked. [..]

And now there are a number of answers you didn't ask for.

Before it is forgotten: Church tax.

I'm hoping for a transfer through work. I was asking about job prospects in case there wasn't anything available in Cologne with the company I'm currently with.

The research is medical so I'm hoping the people she will be working with will have insight into our health insurance situation. But I have taken previous advice and contacted @john g.

7 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Are you planning to be here for just a year? 

As a minimum yes, we're both open to staying longer, even if it's in a different city. My wife has a brother in Munich so that might be nice. Again, that will depend on employment and visas.

Hey Guys

I looking for advice. Similar to the ongoing thread but much less complicated.😂

I may head to Köln for a six to nine month period from January next year. I'm an Irish citizen and would be free to work in Germany. I should be able to find work in one of the Irish bars out there, no problem there. I'm aware that one needs to register their German address with the authorities. However, I probably will be in a hostel or an AIRBNB type place for at least the first month or so. Would this restrict me from working casually?

Thanking you guys in advance

Daniel

2 hours ago, dannythecelt said:

I should be able to find work in one of the Irish bars out there, no problem there. I'm aware that one needs to register their German address with the authorities. However, I probably will be in a hostel or an AIRBNB type place for at least the first month or so. Would this restrict me from working casually?

It won't restrict you from working casually but it might restrict you from getting paid as you can't live here legally beyond 90 days, get a bank account, health insurance or have your PAYE tax organized without a Meldebescheinigung (registration certificate).

Do a site search (box at the top right) for BMG+Hostel+2B_orNot2B or Bundesmeldegesetz+hostel+2B_orNot2B and, after the google bot offers the paid advertisers up scroll down and click 'Show all results'

That should give you links to several posts in which I have explained in detail what the situation is under the 'new' federal registration law which has applied since 01 Dec 2015.

It's complicated to explain which is why I'm not going to again here, but the short answer is it is possible to register from such adresses albeit the hostel or AirBnB proprietors may not be willing to co-operate. The onus is on the individual (you) to do it though so, learn the ropes and CYA.

Apropos Irish bars, I'm not familiar with the scene in Köln and my knowledge of Irish bar landlords in many other cities is a bit dated now, but many of the ones who were well known to me back in the day were able and willing to provide their regular bar staff with some form of cheap but cheerful accommodation from whence they could register. 

If you're a good barman and you've got the traditional celtic charm it might be best to try taking that tack first when negotiating with potential bosses.

Good luck!

2B

8 hours ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

It won't restrict you from working casually but it might restrict you from getting paid as you can't live here legally beyond 90 days, get a bank account, health insurance or have your PAYE tax organized without a Meldebescheinigung (registration certificate).

Do a site search (box at the top right) for BMG+Hostel+2B_orNot2B or Bundesmeldegesetz+hostel+2B_orNot2B and, after the google bot offers the paid advertisers up scroll down and click 'Show all results'

That should give you links to several posts in which I have explained in detail what the situation is under the 'new' federal registration law which has applied since 01 Dec 2015.

It's complicated to explain which is why I'm not going to again here, but the short answer is it is possible to register from such adresses albeit the hostel or AirBnB proprietors may not be willing to co-operate. The onus is on the individual (you) to do it though so, learn the ropes and CYA.

Apropos Irish bars, I'm not familiar with the scene in Köln and my knowledge of Irish bar landlords in many other cities is a bit dated now, but many of the ones who were well known to me back in the day were able and willing to provide their regular bar staff with some form of cheap but cheerful accommodation from whence they could register. 

If you're a good barman and you've got the traditional celtic charm it might be best to try taking that tack first when negotiating with potential bosses.

Good luck!

2B

This is what Ttown should be used for. Great advice. Fair play to you.